Board index Public Relations Site Related Adding Parkitect To The Exchange And Forums

Adding Parkitect To The Exchange And Forums

Posts that are directly related to the site.

Should we add Parkitect to the exchange?

Yes, add Parkitect to the exchange.
91%
No, don't add Parkitect to the exchange.
9%

Total votes : 44

Post November 11th, 2015, 3:20 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,552.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

Hi!

I'm pretty most of you are aware of Parkitect and what it's all about. I'm considering adding it to the Track Exchange system here. I wanted to see what did you guys think of it? Should we add Parkitect to the exchange? Basically this is what we would support:

- Parks
- Blueprints
- Mods

Parks are for the parks you create. Blueprints are for the individual roller coasters that you can export out. Mods are for custom made mods that you wish to share with the community.

Cast your vote below!

Info on Parkitect can be found here: parkitect-megathread-t35858.html
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

Absolutely! Please do!
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
Still not my favorite, but I can definitely see how it will be for others (specifically Turbo) so it's a yes from me.

Blase Rhine User avatar

Points on hand: 30,499.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

Absolutely a yes from me!
Sometimes I dream of unicorns and oreos

mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points

Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
TTD03 wrote:
Still not my favorite, but I can definitely see how it will be for others (specifically Turbo) so it's a yes from me.

You've never actually played Parkitect have you? I don't know how anyone can say that the game is not one of their favorites unless they are an ??ber RCT fanboy.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

rcmaniac25 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 7,270.00 Points

As an ??ber RCT fanboy, I can say "Yes!"... I backed the game too, so there's that.

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
Paradox wrote:
TTD03 wrote:

You've never actually played Parkitect have you? I don't know how anyone can say that the game is not one of their favorites unless they are an ??ber RCT fanboy.

I've played it for 3 hours. It's definitely gotten better, it's just not my favorite yet. that's all.

Points on hand: 0.00 Points
Bank: 15,243.00 Points

Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
I would suggest holding off on mods for now until the Nexus Client is not needed anymore. You could also attach a download for the client, but it's a packaged .rar file.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Points on hand: 56.00 Points
I don't know if any of you already know this, but there is already a service which provides this functionality which has also been promoted by the developers of Parkitect, parkitectnexus.com . If you'd add it to the exchange here available blueprints, saves and mods would be split up between two locations, which isn't ideal for an indie game imho.

Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

I am aware of it, however, it doesn't necessarily mean stuff would be split between 2 locations. Not all coastercrazy members are members of parkitectnexus. There is likely a very large portion of the market that isn't even aware of Parkitect that I could make them become aware of it and thus generate sales for Parkitect and get more user activity going overall. We've semi-reached out to parkitectnexus on twitter yesterday.
Paradox wrote:

Points on hand: 2,913.00 Points
I'd say no just until the game is officially released. As the updates could mess with the parks uploaded beforehand (I don't really know the ins and outs but that's happened to me with other games) Though when it's out go wild!

Metazoanhaddock User avatar

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points
Bank: 52,337.00 Points
saves transfer flawlessly to new versions
Head Moderator
Director, Structural Engineer - PEAK Amusements
Site Contest Judge (Supporting)
Chatroom Admin

Points on hand: 1,594.00 Points

Points on hand: 0.00 Points
Bank: 15,243.00 Points
changa wrote:
I'd say no just until the game is officially released. As the updates could mess with the parks uploaded beforehand (I don't really know the ins and outs but that's happened to me with other games) Though when it's out go wild!

that's a very good point actually- RCT3 was like that as well, with two optional add-on packs.

Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Changa does make a fair point. hmmmm
Paradox wrote:

Post November 14th, 2015, 12:51 pm
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points
Probably worth asking the devs if they envisage format changes in the future and what effect that might have on previous saves. They are the guys coding it afterall!
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

I've asked on the format changes and the park format will change, just no timeline specified. I will ask about backwards compatibility.
Paradox wrote:

Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,049.50 Points

Barg wrote:
I don't know if any of you already know this, but there is already a service which provides this functionality which has also been promoted by the developers of Parkitect, parkitectnexus.com . If you'd add it to the exchange here available blueprints, saves and mods would be split up between two locations, which isn't ideal for an indie game imho.

Over the years there have been several projects which included proprietary exchanges for their games, most of those are no longer in existence. When they disappear because the developer no longer wants to incur the costs of hosting it years after a game has fallen out of popularity all the data is lost, with little to no warning. Indie games thrive on the support of the user base, restrict the ability to produce mods and limit mobility of save files and you limit the support of the community.

I think its better that things are split up in multiple locations because it gives people choice and opportunity and mitigates the damage of quitters.

Points on hand: 81.00 Points
Mikey wrote:
Barg wrote:

Over the years there have been several projects which included proprietary exchanges for their games, most of those are no longer in existence. When they disappear because the developer no longer wants to incur the costs of hosting it years after a game has fallen out of popularity all the data is lost, with little to no warning. Indie games thrive on the support of the user base, restrict the ability to produce mods and limit mobility of save files and you limit the support of the community.

I think its better that things are split up in multiple locations because it gives people choice and opportunity and mitigates the damage of quitters.

I'm the owner of ParkitectNexus. You do make a point, the site needs to generate some money to pay the servers. Which is only logical i guess, i won't pay for the servers for years. It's not like i have to put time in a project AND have to pay the bills with my own money.

I understand the 'proprietary' part, that's why we've worked with the developers to open up modding. Currently it requires our software to run mods. Next version it's only handy, the game can run mods without our software.

I've spoken to oscar (i think) and said that it's fine by me if you guys mirror blueprints. Just remember that you can't remove the watermark without programming skills. Mods currently hosted on ParkitectNexus are an exception though, they won't work if you didn't download them from ParkitectNexus. That's not because of DRM, that's just the way the software works currently. Programmers can create mods that don't need ParkitectNexus starting with next version of Parkitect. But please note that mods are not hosted on my server, just linked, they're all hosted on GitHub, so if my server goes down, the mods won't.

May i ever shut it down, it's easy to throw up a torrent with all uploaded files, just so it doesn't get lost.

Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

We would love nothing more than collaboration between the two sites :) that said in the most recent update the devs announced that you will not need the PN client to run mods (in the future). Either way we love the game and want to help support it in any way possible :)
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post November 15th, 2015, 11:43 am
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

We may not host the mods until it's an official thing of Parkitect. We've had to pick up the pieces in the past and then get angry members on the lack of support. We'll likely only do the blueprints and park files.
Paradox wrote:

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
I would love to see this neat plan coming in the Exchange! Could I possibly vote? :D
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Post November 16th, 2015, 10:17 am
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Everyone is welcomed to vote :)
Paradox wrote:

Next

Return to Site Related