Board index Roller Coaster Games Planet Coaster Bad lag SOS

Bad lag SOS

Planet Coaster is the future of coaster park simulation games. It is created by Frontier Developments plc

Post November 30th, 2016, 8:36 pm

Points on hand: 2,475.00 Points
I run Windows through a Mac with Bootcamp. I really thought my specs would be fine to run PC at a reasonable setting but it seems like they're all at the lowest they can be (as far as I can tell) and the lag is just awful. I know it's not super helpful without my computer specs but I honestly don't even know where to find them on Windows so I'll just edit them in or include them in a subsequent post, but I was wondering if anyone had any general thoughts. I guess it probably points to the graphics card if all of my other specs are OK? There's nothing else I can see in the system requirements that my computer doesn't well surpass even the recommended, vs. minimum.

And the PC half of my hard drive is running low, but that's literally all I can think of. Right now the game is almost unplayable which is really unfortunate because it's pretty amazing.

TIA

Post December 1st, 2016, 9:49 am
slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,728.00 Points
What type of mac is it? I don't need specs; just like the model and year it came out is good.
Boulder Dash was the only good roller coaster.

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

Post December 2nd, 2016, 2:41 pm

It's complicated. I purchased one in 2013 and it had to be replaced a year later, so this one is a mid-2014. I had to customize when I purchased the original, but this one was just in the store. So... Mid-2014. Which is still 2.5 years old I guess, but jeez.

For anyone who could use them, the basic specs I have in front of me right now are:

MacBook Pro Retina 15in Mid 2014
2.5GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048MB (I'm fully updated on drivers on PC side)

The only thing that's kinda jumping out to me is that the graphics card is probably on the lower end for running this game (?) which I assume will cause problems but unless I'm missing something-- and I could be-- the terrible performance seems to be more terrible than should be. Maybe not.

Thank you.

Post December 2nd, 2016, 2:51 pm
Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

it shouldn't be giving you extreme lag. Is the lag persistent or does it only happen when you do certain things? Can you get me hard drive specs?
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post December 2nd, 2016, 8:07 pm
slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,728.00 Points
My guess is it's the gpu being throttled due to temps since Apple doesn't understand how airflow works. Try installing MSI afternurner and see if the temps aproach the 80-100 degree celsius range when under full load.
Boulder Dash was the only good roller coaster.

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

Post December 3rd, 2016, 2:45 pm

Turbo, what kind of specs are you looking for? I know the PC partition is running very low on space but I had as much room as they recommended, a little more. What else can I provide?

It lags all the time. The only time it's not too bad is when I have literally nothing in a sandbox park. The scenarios/challenges/career mode stuff is almost unplayable upon opening. I'd say right now the game is barely good to build a single coaster in sandbox because of it, but I've pushed through a little because it is a good game. But it hasn't been much fun.

Slos, I'll do that when I'm next on Windows. That could indeed be part of it. I used to be big on Apple but I'm so over it. Next time I need a computer I'll probably get a higher end gaming PC and a lower end PC to have someone turn into a Hackintosh, or else see if I can get a PC rigged to do both. I'm not willing to give up the OS given the choice but that's really all I care about anymore.

So yeah I'll run the test. I've also been meaning to contact support themselves but not sure if that will be fruitful and in either case I have to remember to do it when I'm on Windows and can get them some info off Steam.

Post December 22nd, 2016, 12:21 pm

As far as I can tell, most of the lag was caused by a physical problem with my computer, leading to the CPU quickly overheating (that part is my best guess).

What I do know is that my computer was physically filthy, which I expected. I use an electronic cigarette and because the Macs have terrible ventilation and the fans are constantly whirring, a huge amount of vapor gets sucked in and ends up evaporating to a sticky residue. We have a Great Pyrenees, who sheds and his fur gets sucked in and sticks to the residue. Etc. etc. etc.

This is a known issue but because it's known, I try to have it cleaned twice a year. Usually I can stay on top of performance issues. Not this time. The game is working better now that it's clean. Not perfect, but a very noticeable improvement.

Return to Planet Coaster