Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Cedar Point removing Shoot the Rapids

Cedar Point removing Shoot the Rapids

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post February 11th, 2016, 1:31 pm
VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 10,818.00 Points
The Sandusky Register is reporting that Shoot the Rapids, Cedar Point's Intamin log flume, is being removed.
SANDUSKY

Cedar Point???s Shoot the Rapids is coming down.

Sources have told the Register the amusement park operator started to tear down the water ride Tuesday. Cedar Point is not confirming the removal or what will come next.

???Our focus is on the construction of Valravn, our record-breaking dive coaster. We have not announced any changes regarding our current ride lineup,??? wrote Tony Clark, director of communications, in a statement.

The ride was designed by Intamin, which also designed Top Thrill Dragster and Millennium Force. The ride, which debuted in June 2010 on Pioneer Trail, suffered its share of problems.

On July 19, 2013, seven guests were on a Shoot the Rapids boat that malfunctioned while ascending a lift hill. Inspectors determined the boat went down the hill backward about 187 feet, then traveled another 41 feet until it struck the edge of a concrete flume. The force of the collision damaged about 7 feet of concrete. The boat then continued in the flume an additional 58 feet, striking the flume wall several more times and hitting another boat before overturning, the guests still inside. The inspection revealed two safety features never engaged: one designed to prevent boats from coming off the track, the other to prevent boats from rolling backward.

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/Busines ... m&lp=2&p=1

shoot-splash-jpg.jpg

Post February 11th, 2016, 1:58 pm

Points on hand: 0.00 Points
Bank: 15,203.00 Points
^crikey, it hasn't been at the park that long, has it? i remember hearing about it being built!

Post February 11th, 2016, 2:26 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
If you ignore the time when it almost drowned a train full of people, that ride constantly malfunctioned in really goddamned strange ways. At times it was more unreliable than TTD and it wasn't pushing any envelopes.

Should set them up nicely to build the world's tallest water ride or something like that in the future. Or perhaps run a path from where Dinosoars Alive starts and connects across the whole "island".

Then again if I was in charge a Kiddie Kingdom revamp that includes another dinky ride would be the first thing to deal with but what do I know? :P
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post February 11th, 2016, 2:57 pm

Points on hand: 3,410.00 Points
Aw... I'm glad I rode it while I could - for some reason, I really looked forward to that ride.

Post February 11th, 2016, 3:53 pm

Points on hand: 227.00 Points
Bank: 11,457.10 Points
Its staying. Same "Source" that claims valravn has a mystical 4th inversion. Honestly I wouldn't be skeptical at all if this came out after the accident, but that was almost 3 years ago. Same day as the texas giant accident. And if it was going to close it wouldn't be like this, unless they genuinely cant operate it again due to some new problem. They have always announced ride closures before the seasons over for last rides.
All hail your great Arrow Dynamics overlords.

Post February 11th, 2016, 4:19 pm
Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
I liked this ride tho
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Post February 11th, 2016, 4:48 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

Wittloc wrote:
Aw... I'm glad I rode it while I could - for some reason, I really looked forward to that ride.

If you've been on a standard log flume it behaved exactly the same way, except this totally asshole sneaker wave washed over the back of the train right when you thought "oh it didn't totally drench me".

Post February 11th, 2016, 5:59 pm
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
It was quite a fun ride from when I rode it. Although not very populair even though the weather was boiling. Let's see what CP is going to put there in it's place.
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post February 13th, 2016, 10:48 am

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
That CP ride should have themed a mountain. Lost one chance to be the park's best-themed attraction along with "Maverick"!

:sad:
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Post February 13th, 2016, 12:36 pm

Points on hand: 3,410.00 Points
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
Wittloc wrote:

If you've been on a standard log flume it behaved exactly the same way, except this totally asshole sneaker wave washed over the back of the train right when you thought "oh it didn't totally drench me".

Honestly, it's my favorite water ride I've been on. I don't know why.

Post February 13th, 2016, 1:00 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

I'm not saying it was bad, I'm just saying it's not like it's an incredible loss. Holiday World removed Pilgram's Plunge quickly too.

Post February 13th, 2016, 1:25 pm

Points on hand: 5,701.00 Points
I thought this ride looked good when it was announced, but after riding it I found the ride quite underwhelming. It wasn't awful, but it was forgettable, and other than the big drop it was mostly inferior to other flume rides. Additionally, this thing seemed to be a maintenance nightmare...over two days at the park, it probably operated for about 3-5 hours total (in fact, the day I rode it the ride was only open for about 30 minutes). It won't be a big loss, and hopefully something much better will fill the space in a couple years.
Coaster Count: 535 (114 wood, 444 steel); Park Count: 110
Top 5 Wood: El Toro, Voyage, Thunderhead, Outlaw Run, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel: Superman the Ride, Fury 325, Millennium Force, X2, Intimidator 305

Post February 13th, 2016, 3:49 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

The year I was there the ride computer kept thinking the air gates were, so it kept freaking out and shutting itself off.

Post February 13th, 2016, 5:15 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
Tony just posted this. #confirmed

Post February 13th, 2016, 6:43 pm

How in any way does that mean its confirmed? I guess Evil Streak is confirmed too?

Post February 13th, 2016, 7:46 pm
Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
Yes because Tony Clark never teases about anything and totally does not follow enthusiast communities...
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Post February 13th, 2016, 7:50 pm

Points on hand: 204.00 Points
Bank: 3,034.00 Points
MagnumFreak25 wrote:
They have always announced ride closures before the seasons over for last rides.

Wildcat

If they take it out, and shouldnt be hard to confirm since they are supposedlyalready removing it, that would make room for dinosaur island to be an awesome new area and make room to complete the path from rougarou straight ro gemini midway without having to walk all the M/*&!&????%????;!!^=&=^&!ing way around the park. You can also cut a path through the dead spots of fort sandusky, making room for rides without tearing anything out, and have space for two massive coasters, a few flat and shops and stuff. I can see this happening.

Also the aorks are there for a more compact and exciting water ride and still have tons of old footprint space left over.

As to why now, because New GM. He has done a TON of revamping to Cedar Point that needed to be done for decades so why not now. With Valravn coming, nobody will really miss it. Also if they are starting now, 2017 baby!

Post February 13th, 2016, 10:23 pm

Points on hand: 6,575.00 Points

Wild Cat was supposed to operate 2012. Trust me... It was weird watching a ride being removed during training week (week before opening)
Cedar Point
2008-2015
--2015--
Beach Band- June-August
https://www.facebook.com/TrumpetDMR

Post February 14th, 2016, 12:26 am

^ I think everything else except minor kids rides have always been announced as closing.

Post February 14th, 2016, 7:59 am
True Addicts
True Addicts

coasterdave wrote:
Wild Cat was supposed to operate 2012. Trust me... It was weird watching a ride being removed during training week (week before opening)

Oh it was that late? I wonder if they found a major issue, looked at staffing numbers, and then just said fack it lol

Post February 14th, 2016, 11:55 am

I think it just failed to pass inspection.

Post February 14th, 2016, 3:15 pm

Points on hand: 6,575.00 Points

None of the above. That was the first year of Luminosity. The booth was pressed up against the WC so there was no wiggle room. Waaaaay to congested, and they decided to remove it.
Cedar Point
2008-2015
--2015--
Beach Band- June-August
https://www.facebook.com/TrumpetDMR

Post February 20th, 2016, 1:20 pm
VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 10,818.00 Points
Looks like STR's removal is official.
Cbq6VBNUYAASPIF.jpg
From Coaster Chit Chat.
Cbq6VBNUYAASPIF.jpg (26.25 KiB) Viewed 2971 times

Post February 20th, 2016, 6:29 pm

Points on hand: 671.00 Points
Wittloc wrote:

Same, I actually enjoyed STR a lot!

Post February 20th, 2016, 7:47 pm

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
I have to say like one "Wild West" CP attraction's about to go... :sad:
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Next

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!