Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Goliath at Six Flags Great America Construction Thread

Goliath at Six Flags Great America Construction Thread

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
The complete overbanked turn thing looks absurd from the highway, and that trench is much larger than I thought. Always thought it was weird they decided to cheat again for speed like they did with the Eagle when it was built.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Goku1910 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,514.00 Points
Bank: 2,212.00 Points
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
The complete overbanked turn thing looks absurd from the highway, and that trench is much larger than I thought. Always thought it was weird they decided to cheat again for speed like they did with the Eagle when it was built.

I don't consider it cheating when Great America is so close to residential areas.....I have been to some of the Zoning Board meetings and you should hear the rage coming from the residents. The tunnel helps to shut them up. :lol:

Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,552.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

What follows is 10 brand new spanking pictures! Check them out:

gol1.jpg

gol2.jpg

gol3.jpg

gol4.jpg

gol5.jpg

gol6.jpg

gol7.jpg

gol8.jpg

gol9.jpg

gol10.jpg
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points

True Addicts
True Addicts

Badass pictures! I'm assuming the new wooden building they're making is going to be the onride photo place?

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
Those headchoppers going into and coming out of the first overbank will be pretty cool
What are these for?

Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

From our good friends over at Six Flags Great America, I present you the following video:

Goliath @SixFlagsGreatAmerica Filmed With A GoPro Helicopter Cam

(watch it in HD)

Thanks guys!
Paradox wrote:

Points on hand: 92.00 Points
Bank: 1,341.05 Points
Goku1910 wrote:
Coasterkidmwm wrote:

I don't consider it cheating when Great America is so close to residential areas.....I have been to some of the Zoning Board meetings and you should hear the rage coming from the residents. The tunnel helps to shut them up. :lol:

It would seem that if you bought a house near an amusement park, you have no room to bitch.
Originally posted by GerstlCrazy
Cool! The name is Fly Over Rainforest?
I was under the impression the name was Green Coaster Goes Fast Goes High Has Clockwise Loop Has Straight Upside Down Four Seats Two On Each Side Fast Coaster?

mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
NightwindElf wrote:
Goku1910 wrote:
Coasterkidmwm wrote:

It would seem that if you bought a house near an amusement park, you have no room to bitch.

What if your family owned that house before the amusement park was built / any tall rides were built? I think its a bit naive to assume that these people brought these houses after anything large scale was built near them.
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Goku1910 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

NightwindElf wrote:
Goku1910 wrote:
Coasterkidmwm wrote:

You should have been to the Chang debacle. One woman lost her mind. The Gurnee meetings are quite entertaining because not only do the residents make stupid comments but so does the board....I believe at Goliath's meeting one member suggested making the tunnel deeper to null the need for a height variance.....that would make the tunnel nearly 100 feet deep.

Here's how the meetings go:
1) Agenda
2) Propose ride
3) Resident Comments
4) Review
5) Approval

Gurnee's Zoning Board never denies a height variance because SFGAm is a cash cow. You know Gurnee loves the tourism and tax revenue....so residents literally get ignored.

I would have liked to see what RMC could have done with a bit more room, the brakes are higher than it first looked like it would be
What are these for?

True Addicts
True Addicts

http://content.sixflags.com/comingin201 ... a/goliath/

They're working on the lift and the half loop section of the dive loop thingy now. Check out the construction cam!

Goku1910 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
http://content.sixflags.com/comingin2014/greatamerica/goliath/

They're working on the lift and the half loop section of the dive loop thingy now. Check out the construction cam!

how about a larger, direct link to that camera :O

http://sixflags.truelook.com/index.jsp? ... 1380039721

Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

More pics! Thanks to SFGA for providing them :D

Apr21-1.jpg

Apr21-2.jpg

Apr21-3.jpg

Apr21-4.jpg

Apr21-5.jpg
Paradox wrote:

mkingy User avatar

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

True Addicts
True Addicts

It's way more snappy looking than I thought it would be.

EDIT: They're working on the bottom of the first drop now, and the lift looks above 1/3 done

Goku1910 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

My only concern is the station and Queue line....We're going to have this awesome new ride, but everything else will look like crap.

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Update!
While the harsh winter we just experienced did set crews back slightly, Six Flags Great America's Goliath is within weeks of giving its first rides. Crews have been busy working on the instillation of the ride's massive lift hill, which also supports the ride's unique Inverted Zero-G Stall element.

Aside from that undertaking, much work has been completed on the station and entrance, including the towering entrance sign you can see being lifted into place above.
With the lift hill and drop still going up, the rest of Goliath's elements are nearly complete. Above is a fun shot of the ride's 180 Degree Zero-G Roll, which is followed immediately by an Inverted Drop. That combination is a first for any wooden coaster, and will no doubt be one of a long list of highlights from a ride on Goliath. The park has shared some recent photos of the coaster's construction, and also released a new Goliath Insider video, embedded below. It contains great shots of the lift going up taken just days ago.

Source

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Update!
Goliath has been topped off!
The Goliath has peaked at Six Flags Great America! Crews carefully lifted the final piece of the steel lift hill/drop support structure for Goliath into place a few days ago. With so much of the ride already complete, now that the lift is up the ride should come together very quickly.
This image, looking down the ride's record breaking 180 foot, 85 degree first drop, makes me a bit nauseous, but in the best of ways! The ride plunges trains down that drop at 72 miles per hour and into a tunnel - which it passes through once more later in the ride. It goes without saying that Six Flags Great America's Goliath is one of the most highly anticipated new for 2014 roller coasters on the globe.

And just where did these amazing images come from? Duane Marden, the man behind the Roller Coaster Database, took his drone up to take video of the topping off. Check out all the amazing views:

Source
Last edited by TTD03 on May 18th, 2014, 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I still think lift is kind of cheating with wood vs. steel, but thats an argument only few people care about. Either way this looks like a fun ride that I hope I can afford to take a trip out there in a few months. It does give me hopes for what RMC can do with a lot more space
What are these for?

mkingy User avatar

Yeah, I agree CKidd - but I think we need to stop judging rides by what they're made of and more by what experience they offer. I doubt this type of ride will give as muhc of an "out of control" feeling a true woodie does - but it certainly offers something completely different!
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Update!
Here's some more awesome photos and video for you all!

Goliath Final Piece in Air.jpg

Goliath Final Piece.jpg
Goliath Top Off 1.jpg
Goliath Top Off 2.jpg
Goliath Top Off Aerial 1.jpg
Goliath Top Off Aerial 2.jpg
Goliath with Portal Sign.jpg
GoliathTopOffSun.jpg
GoliathTopsOffSun.jpg

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!