Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Goliath at Six Flags Great America Construction Thread

Goliath at Six Flags Great America Construction Thread

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

TheArchitect User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 501,147.00 Points
Bank: 498,048.00 Points

Check out the new trains that have been designed for Six Flags Great America's new Goliath wood coaster - looks pretty good, right?

The park released the concept art for the huge new coaster's rolling stock on their Twitter account, showing off the nice layer of theming that the cars will have. From a fancy shield-like front piece to decoratively themed side panels, the trains will have riders cruising around the track in style.

When Goliath opens next year at the park it will become the holder of several world records, including the longest and steepest drop on any wooden coaster.

With construction on the ride already underway, Six Flags Great America has recently launched a new webcam that will allow us to see the progress. You can check that out on the park's official website for the coaster.

source

Post October 11th, 2013, 2:54 pm

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points
Looks like the same trains as outlaw which are amazing..

Post February 19th, 2014, 11:00 pm
Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

How are things progressing on Six Flags Great America's triple world record breaking wooden roller coaster? Nicely, thanks for asking! Okay well maybe you didn't ask but who could not be interested in a project of this size? Despite the winter cold (and snow) the park has been making much progress on Goliath, including laying down new segments of running track and hoisting plenty of supports into place.

The park has released a new set of photos, like these shown here, that fill us in on just where the massive coaster's construction has taken it. Above is a nice shot of the Negative G Float that connects the two ends of the ride.

This looks like a pretty fun hill, rather large already - and check out the banking that the track is starting up top! Remember, this is only the lower level of the massive turnaround structure, the park hasn't even installed the upper level yet!

I can't wait for Goliath's lift - and especially first drop - to be worked on. That's going to really be an exciting part of the construction.

Originally posted by Mike H @NewsPLusNotes
Last edited by Turbo on February 20th, 2014, 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post February 20th, 2014, 1:55 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
That turnaround is going to be 45-50% taller lol. It looks so absurd already.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post February 20th, 2014, 2:55 pm

Points on hand: 374.00 Points
Originally posted by Coasterkidmwm

It looks so absurd already.

It's spelled 'awesome'.

Points on hand: 1,343.00 Points
Bank: 826.00 Points

Goliath01.jpg

Goliath02.jpg

Goliath03.jpg

Goliath04.jpg

Goliath05.jpg

Goliath07.jpg

Goliath08.jpg

Goliath09.jpg

It??????s official. Coming in 2014, Six Flags Great America will introduce a brand new triple-record-breaking wooden coaster that will be the new staple of the park??????s skyline. This giant new beast will feature impressive heights, astonishing speeds, and stomach-tightening inversions: Goliath will be the world??????s fastest wooden coaster with the tallest and steepest drop, plunging riders down 180 feet and rocketing through twists and turns at 72 miles per hour.

Holding three world records, Goliath is the most extreme coaster of its kind and provides adrenaline rush like no other. Riders will elevate up to touch the sky atop the 165-foot lift hill. Then, you??????ll whip over the peak and conquer the world??????s tallest and steepest heart-racing drop, at an unbelievable 180 feet and a near-vertical 85 degrees. You??????ll reach the bottom of this gut-wrenching slope before you even have time to scream.

Reaching top speeds of 72 miles per hour??????the fastest of any wooden roller coaster??????you??????ll then thunder around surprising curves and outrageous twists. You??????ll face three intense over-banked turns, a 180-degree zero G-roll twist, and two wild inversions, flipping head-over-heels through a winding inverted drop and a spiraling inverted zero G stall.

The extreme, record-breaking, first-of-its-kind roller coaster is set to debut in spring 2014 in the County Fair section of the park. Are you ready to conquer Goliath?

The builder of Goliath is Rocky Mountain Construction and is also responsible for the amazing track work being done on Medusa at Six Flags Mexico.

I saw the video on my Twitter feed thinking it was just the first promo video. Then I watched it.

Goliath's supports. Need I say more?
Last edited by jdmi012 on February 21st, 2014, 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post February 21st, 2014, 5:36 pm
Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

Oh my god, those are much ***ier than I had originally thought they were going to be <3
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post February 21st, 2014, 6:44 pm

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
http://goo.gl/nNn03E

Ugh. It looks beautiful. Magnitudes better than a solid wood structure.

Post February 21st, 2014, 7:18 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

So I started watching the video and then...

Image Insert:
695.55 KB

Post February 22nd, 2014, 2:48 am

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

Meh, it's just a steel structure and stolen from the Intamin design, clearly. Still F*cking crazy and wasn't expecting that though

Post February 22nd, 2014, 4:00 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

Didn't notice it was steel until you pointed it out. RMC should just make a complete steel coaster and stop pretending lol

Post February 23rd, 2014, 1:12 pm

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
That upside-down "hairtime" hill will be amazing! Caps, hats, bags, and unsecured straps off the ride! [;)]
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Post February 23rd, 2014, 2:01 pm

Points on hand: 3,578.00 Points
I wouldn't be surprised if they put some kind of netting under that portion of the ride as the train will be right over the service road at the point.

Post February 23rd, 2014, 3:26 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,833.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Ok seriously now, because this is getting out of hand. By what technicality have they managed to get this called a "wooden" coaster, as it says in the video? What is actually made of wood? Because, to me, when the track is made of steel and the supports are made of steel (and I know this is going to sound totally crazy), I think that actually makes it a steel coaster.

Might as well call it a plastic coaster. "World's first PLASTIC* coaster!"

*None of the ride is actually made from plastic

Post February 23rd, 2014, 4:47 pm

Points on hand: 143.00 Points
Bank: 3,000.00 Points
I can only imagine that this must be an excellent example of SF being overwhelmingly cheap and trying to cut costs.
RIP
Log Jammer, SFMM
1971-2011
Originally posted by richie5126
T: all newtons on this site are smooth so this must be high.

Post February 23rd, 2014, 7:34 pm

Post February 23rd, 2014, 8:03 pm

Points on hand: 2,232.00 Points
80% of the supports and track are wooden. Only the lift structure and the two topper layers on the rails are steel.

Post February 23rd, 2014, 8:11 pm

^The track is steel and would still exist if the wood was taken out, and the wheels are polyurethane.. This is a steel coaster! If they had left steel wheels on it like outlaw it would at least ride somewhat like a wooden coater but there is nothing separating the ride experience on this from Irat or Ntag..

Post March 5th, 2014, 12:02 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

I'm still having trouble grasping the scale of this thing. The one lone random bent they have up as of now isn't even at full height for the turnaround, and the actual drop is taller!

Post March 5th, 2014, 7:54 pm

Points on hand: 50.00 Points
Neat
[19:47:28] rcking04: /smoke bong through wrong end

Post March 10th, 2014, 9:54 am
True Addicts
True Addicts

Standing on the half done structure like these people are to guide the crane as they attach bents would terrify me.

True Addicts
True Addicts

http://content.sixflags.com/comingin201 ... a/goliath/

Looks like the dive loop will be getting track very soon! Drove by the ride on the highway yesterday. You can see the far turn. It looks really weird, like this giant random wooden spike.

mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
I still can't grasp how utterly massive this ride is.
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,552.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

Thanks to Six Flags Great America for providing the following pictures to CoasterCrazy :D

If you would like the picture in high resolution up to 5184 x 2912, send me a pm and I will send you the original one.

Goliath1.jpg

Goliath2.jpg

Goliath3.jpg

goliath4.jpg

Goliath5.jpg

goliath6.jpg

goliath7.jpg

goliath8.jpg
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,552.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

Here's a neat video showing the work going on for the tunnels filmed back in January:

Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Next

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!