Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Goodbye Wildwater Kingdom. It's been horrific

Goodbye Wildwater Kingdom. It's been horrific

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Points on hand: 204.00 Points
Bank: 3,034.00 Points
Anyone else think this is Geauga Lake's Wildwater Kingdom's last flush?

Pretty sure they're gonna take those slides to CP

Points on hand: 227.00 Points
Bank: 11,457.10 Points
Not this year at least. They have pretty high season pass sales, the majority of the people near there use it as there public pool. Its a bit worrying every year though. I still stick by my theory that Soak city is going to close and send some slides over to WWK. I mean, sandusky has like 5 or 6 waterparks at least. CP alone has two and nothing has had a new slide in years. WWK has the biggest slides of all them up here actually.
All hail your great Arrow Dynamics overlords.

Points on hand: 671.00 Points
MagnumFreak25 wrote:
Not this year at least. They have pretty high season pass sales, the majority of the people near there use it as there public pool.

They do? Well, that's good to hear.

Honestly though, I can't imagine Soak City closing down either. Considering the location right next to Cedar Fair's #2 most visited park, I doubt SC would be struggling that much. But then again, I haven't stopped by in a while.

I know the locals at Wild Water Kingdom use it regularly, and thst was the same for Geagua Lake haha.

I feel like after the way Geagua Lale closed, they are weakening the ties to the water park by letting it rot (metaphorically) so they don't have the same reaction.

If they are closing challenge park for an expansion, it seems to only make sense to move these slides instead of build them over again.

I don't like Soak City personally. It's far too dated, way overpriced, and the slides are weak. I actually wouldn't either way if it was updated or torn out for more dry rides

Seeing Cedar Fair's hefty investment this year, somehow I don't think WWK is going anywhere. :lol:
https://www.facebook.com/wildwaterfun/v ... 773319640/

Honestly that's the biggest improvement any water park has gotten in 4 years up here.

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
So...the title of the thread, within which you speculate the park's demise with absolutely no evidence, says "Goodbye Wildwater Kingdom"
X2 ??? Intimidator 305 ??? Millennium Force ??? Iron Rattler ??? El Toro ??? Fury 325 ??? Maverick ??? Skyrush ??? Twisted Timbers ??? Voyage

Points on hand: 2,091.00 Points

Latest on Geauga Lake: Talks keep plans for Geauga Lake area development moving forward

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 11:45 pm
By JOAN DEMIRJIAN

BAlNBRlDGE-Weeds are growing over the former Geauga Lake Park property, but progress is being made on plans to create a mixed-use development as well as a Meijer super store on the site. Officials are envisioning walk??ways near the lake as well as shops, offices and perhaps apartments.

Bainbridge Trustees last week renewed a 12-month contract with inSITE Planning Advisory Group with no rate increase. Under the agreement, the township will pay $3,500 per month for inSite services. Jennifer Syx of inSITE is work??ing with the township in planning the former amusement park land owned by Cedar Fair of Sandusky.

"We are honored to have the township's approval for our contract renewal," Mrs. Syx said. "inSITE was retained to perform economic development functions including finalizing zoning and developing guidelines for the mixed-use district and working with both Meijer and Cedar Fair to accomplish a successful project."
Mrs. Syx said negotiations so far between Meijer and Cedar Fair have resulted in upgrading the exterior elevations to four-sided architecture, reducing the number of deed restrictions and developing a nostalgia package paying hom??age to the history of Geauga Lake. The look back package could include a mural, benches, Geauga Lake logos, light posts with banners and construction of a historical land marker.

"These positive milestones are the result of regular meeting with the township, Cedar Fair, Meijer, the Ohio Department of Transportation and other state representatives, the city of Aurora, Geauga County and others to work through the issues andkeep1heprojectmoving forward, she said

Goals for the next 12 months include creating a master plan for the Geauga Lake District, attracting developers, and continued meetings with ODOT, Aurora, Cedar Fair, Geauga County Growth Par1nership and other organiza??tions, Mrs. Syx added.
The Meijer store is in the planning stages for the former park's parking lot fronting on Aurora Road (Route 43). A site plan and a lot split of 41 acres for Meijer from the Cedar Fair land would be needed.

Although the mixed-use zoning in Bainbridge prohibits big-box stores, township trustees agreed to make an exception for Meijer. That means the store is being developed under the former commercial recreation zoning.

Mixed-use zoning integrates different land uses in one area such as residential, commercial, cultural or institutional instead of separating them into separate areas.

Mrs. Syx said two entrances are being planned from Aurora Road to the Cedar Fair property, one for the main boulevard and the other for the entrance to Meijer.

Bainbridge Zoning Inspector Karen Endres noted that Mrs. Syx 's input is crucial with all the anticipated future development planned on the Cedar Fair land. Mrs. Syx is working with both Bainbridge and the city of Aurora on a Joint Economic Development District as well.

Mrs. Endres said logistics of access to the Meijer site are being worked out. We're waiting for the lot split and engineering plans."
Woolpert Engineering is working on a site plan for the Meijer store and ODOT and Geauga County Engineering Department will be involved with the entrance and exit roads. Meijer representatives have agreed to have the county engineer's department perform the inspections to ensure that county standards are met for the road which initially will probably be a private drive, she said.

The township also envisions a decorative boulevard entrance as well, for the Cedar Fair property, Mrs. Endres said. planner to do a comprehensive plan showing the potential development of the entire area, Mrs. Endres added. That plan for a minimum of 100 acres, to be approved by the township Board of Zoning Appeals, is needed to show to potential developers, she said.

"There has to be a vision for the whole area," Mrs. Endres said. Approximately 50 acres of the Cedar Fair land outside of the 100 acres cannot be developed and include wetlands, land zoned for conservation development and the lake.

The goal is to have a walkway around the lake for public access, and access to small shops, Mrs. Endres said. "One of our design concepts is for public use. We want to be sure there is public access to the lake. The vision is a pedestrian friendly, walkable community there."

No single-family homes will be permitted within 500 feet of Geauga Lake, although vertical mixed use, meaning offices or retail with apartments overhead will be allowed, she said.

The city of Aurora also has mixed-use zoning in effect on adjacent Cedar Fair in that city, and the goal is to have compatible development, Mrs. Endres said. "It will be similar in character." Commercial development is expected along Aurora Road.

http://m.chagrinvalleytoday.com/mobile/ ... 21351.html

Notice they say walkways AROUND the lake, public access to said lake and a pedestrian community.

Next to the grocery store in the parking lot? They want the whole lake

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
Better than the status of being abandoned. Footers for defunct coasters make me so sad. :sad:
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

MagnumFreak25 wrote:
Not this year at least. They have pretty high season pass sales, the majority of the people near there use it as there public pool. Its a bit worrying every year though. I still stick by my theory that Soak city is going to close and send some slides over to WWK. I mean, sandusky has like 5 or 6 waterparks at least. CP alone has two and nothing has had a new slide in years. WWK has the biggest slides of all them up here actually.

https://www.wildwaterfun.com/what-s-new

https://www.cedarpoint.com/article/medi ... Water-Park

But seriously though. Those slides are going to CP. For one, what park doesn't already have a Proslide tornado besides Cedar Point in the chain? Also, that slide complex is exactly what they need and already own. They'll probably wait a an extra season or two to let the wounds heal over a bit, then send them back out re-purposed

Just wanna point out, they were advertising 2017 season passes.

Points on hand: 7,295.00 Points
LuckyK wrote:
MagnumFreak25 wrote:

https://www.wildwaterfun.com/what-s-new

https://www.cedarpoint.com/article/medi ... Water-Park

But seriously though. Those slides are going to CP. For one, what park doesn't already have a Proslide tornado besides Cedar Point in the chain? Also, that slide complex is exactly what they need and already own. They'll probably wait a an extra season or two to let the wounds heal over a bit, then send them back out re-purposed

There not going to cedar point due to the fact most of challenge park is becoming parking
For the body slide it could go to mia and there's 2 tornados up for grabs I think knotts might end up at cga and the wild water kingdom could go to either carowinds or dorney park or even world of fun and valley fair

Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
deere839 wrote:
I think knotts might end up at cga

Yeah they're gonna expand the waterpark this year and then send all of it over to CGA
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

I'll be really bummed if neither of the Tornado slides hit CPS...

Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Paradox wrote:
deere839 wrote:
I think knotts might end up at cga

Yeah they're gonna expand the waterpark this year and then send all of it over to CGA

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

On an unrelated note, McClure said it was just a coincidence that Cedar Point announced its waterpark expansion one day before parent company Cedar Fair announced the closure of Wildwater Kingdom, the waterpark in Aurora on the grounds of the former Sea World. McClure said he knows of no plans to relocate Wildwater Kingdom slides or other equipment to Cedar Point Shores.

Ill just leave this here. Ill be surprised if the tornado at least isn't relocated. Thunderfalls (the main slide tower) probably wouldn't work to will with the current slides. The raft slides are great, but very similar to the two on the new tower. There are 4 though, definitely increasing capacity. The body slides are more complicated though. They are extremely long and intense slides, but they're getting old and pretty painful. However they are still the tallest in Ohio at 100 feet, well taller than anything else in the park and I cant think of any other slides of that size that aren't just straight drops. It'll be sad to see it go to the scrapyard though. There's always next year though.

So the Aurora Advocate article http://www.auroraadvocate.com/news%20lo ... ive-sept-5 promised more details on their story in the coming days, including today's print edition. I don't subscribe to the Advocate but maybe someone on this forum does?

(On another note, I refreshed the article this afternoon and spotted a most unfortunate incident that happened at the park. Just disgusting! :( :x )

Points on hand: 7,125.00 Points

LuckyK wrote:
Anyone else think this is Geauga Lake's Wildwater Kingdom's last flush?

Pretty sure they're gonna take those slides to CP

You are a genie.

Anyway, personally i like seeing the park left abandoned. I hate the fact that it will probably become a shopping centre.
There's something about abandoned places that are so awesome because you can imagine the life that they once held. It's sad that the final coaster will eventually be demolished :(

The history of this place is always so amazing to me and I love reading about it. I cannot believe Six Flags Worlds of Adventure (A park the size of about 7 Magic Kingdoms combined) was there just over 10 years ago. crazy!!!!

Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
I've been really surprised that CP never added a Tornado slide or something totally bonkers. They seem to ignore the waterpark until now.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Tricky Dick didn't give a crap about Soak City. It was HORRRRRIBLE. It was terrible even 10 years ago. Especially for the price. I feel like it was never built for the GP but more like a community pool for locals to buy season passes for their kids.

Return to General Theme Park Discussions