Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Intimidator 305 Track Removed From Kings Dominion

Intimidator 305 Track Removed From Kings Dominion

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post December 2nd, 2010, 6:28 pm

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
They can raise the majority of the turn without significantly reducing the top speed by either doing something like the NL picture earlier in this thread, or inserting an overbanked turn. I'm thinking medium height overbank (maybe 80-100' tall), but without tightening at the top as Intamin does on most/all of their overbanks. I tested and got around 2.9G at the top of a turn like that. The top speed would be restored, the duration of extremely high speed would be reduced (to help with the mechanical issues), and the forces would be significantly lower over a good section of the turnaround, which would provide some respite for riders.

Here's my sketch. Thanks A113.

Image Insert:
144.57 KB

Post December 2nd, 2010, 6:35 pm

Points on hand: 1,601.00 Points
You've got to take into consideration that Rebel Yell is right next to that turn, and there may not be much, if any, room for supports on an overbank as you have, dcs, and especially if the radius is widened as well. Though I can't come up with a better solution, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

EDIT: On Google Earth, you can see that there's actually a service road between I305 and Rebel Yell. So, who knows, it may be feasible.

Post December 2nd, 2010, 6:49 pm
slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,728.00 Points
Still plenty of room to extend the turn.

Boulder Dash was the only good roller coaster.

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

Post December 2nd, 2010, 6:54 pm

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
The turn radius in my design is only slightly larger than the first version of the turn. Also, even if Rebel Yell was in the way, they could have the supports facing inwards like Bizarro SFNE's overbank, which means they wouldn't take up all that much more space.

I think (within reason) nomatter what they do, it'll be a better ride if they remove all the trims. I don't live too far away, but I didn't want to go right when it opened because in my experience that's a terrible idea with an Intamin ride. Turns out the first few weeks was the best time to go with this ride...who'd have thunk it? lol. When they put in the trims, I kinda figured they were temporary and a permanent fix was coming after the season ended, so I'm glad to see that's the case, and I look forward to riding. Looks like it has a great chance to end up my favorite ride over SROS SFNE.

Post December 2nd, 2010, 9:15 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Honestly if they got rid of the hill and just had flat track it would be about the same since I heard that hill was airless with the trims anyways lol.

Whatever they do will probably be a welcome addition.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post December 2nd, 2010, 9:16 pm

Points on hand: 235.00 Points
I have my own theory, maybe if they arent trying to restore the speed, but they might be changing the hill for more airtime? idk..
i want to know more..

Post December 2nd, 2010, 9:19 pm

Points on hand: 1,085.00 Points
Originally posted by Coasterkidmwm

Honestly if they got rid of the hill and just had flat track it would be about the same since I heard that hill was airless with the trims anyways lol.

They're removing the trims?
This is not my signature.

Post December 4th, 2010, 10:22 am

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points

Post December 4th, 2010, 2:13 pm

Points on hand: 1,117.00 Points

I think the most of you USA guys should be happy with the fact that the restraints will be modified, I think the semi-OTSr wil become lapbars, I really hope becouse those semi-otsr are a pain in the ass

Post December 4th, 2010, 3:06 pm

Originally posted by highthrills2

http://www.rcprocommunity.com/showthread.php?1961-Kings-Dominion-2010-Intimidator-305&p=39677#post39677

Originally posted by fear the four

A nice post was made about I305's re-profiling on another site.

It seems like we're the only people in the enthusiast community that actually know whats going on with the reprofile. So once again... Intimidator 305 was designed to reach speeds of 94 miles per hour, which was the ultimate goal in designing the attraction. Unfortunately when you design a roller coaster of that height with space constraints you tend to run into issues that aren't always going to render as expected - as with the first 270 degree high speed turn. The issue that the park is having with the turn is both mechanical and detrimental to passengers. From a mechanical perspective it's wearing out the road wheels rather quickly, and from a guest perspective the turn is offering an uncomfortable force thats causing riders to black out.

The immediate solution to this issue was to install temporary trim brakes on the first hill, solving these issues but slowing the ride down to a pace that it wasn't designed for. So when the park closed for the season, IntaRide and the team and Kings Dominion began the reprofiling process that will eventually call for the removal of the trim brakes and a return to its previous top speed. Essentially what the park wants to do is widen the turn's diameter to provide a more comfortable riding experience, as well as to reduce excessive wear on the trains themselves.

The bottom line is that Intamin has always been known for pushing the limits - that's their style, and from the sounds of it that's what they will continue to do in the very near future. Back in 2007 when RCPro uncovered the true issues surrounding Maverick's Heartline Roll removal, the circumstances were very similar. High stress on not only the trains but the riders were discovered in preliminary tests - resulting in a modified section of track replacing the element all together.

But regardless of the current situation that Intimidator 305 seems to be in, our immediate sources tell us that the attraction will be better than ever when it reopens for the 2011 season, providing rides that sustain the insane pace that the coaster is known for. This will also be the first time that riders can test out the new restraints with trains moving at their designed velocity.

http://www.rcprocommunity.com/showthrea ... #post39677

*Emphasis added for your enjoyment*

[;)]

Umm....yeah.

Post December 4th, 2010, 6:13 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

Fear the Four will make a fantastic politician someday

Post December 4th, 2010, 10:17 pm

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points

Post December 4th, 2010, 10:50 pm

Post December 5th, 2010, 1:34 am

Points on hand: 5,889.00 Points
This is why woodies are better investments.
American Eagle Lover

Post December 5th, 2010, 2:02 am
True Addicts
True Addicts

You prefer male prostitutes?

Post December 13th, 2010, 9:22 pm
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 44.00 Points
Bank: 4,333.00 Points
KD's PR person John Pagel has announced via In The Loop that I-305's first turn is getting re-profiled to be larger and make it less demanding.

So now its been officially announced.

Post December 13th, 2010, 9:26 pm

First turn is being re-profiled. The turn radius is being widened to burn to burn more energy off the ride. This change will hopefully bring the removal of the trims on I305. More footings will have to be poured obviously. No overbank is being added. The top of the second hill and the first turn is being re-profiled. Removal of all trims is questionable!

My source- In the loop... Now!

Post December 13th, 2010, 9:32 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

Great job writing the same thing as what is written above you.

Post December 13th, 2010, 9:55 pm

Thanks for noticing I posted it like two minutes after he did, so it's not to big of a deal. Stop being a idiot.

Post December 13th, 2010, 10:01 pm
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 44.00 Points
Bank: 4,333.00 Points
It was actually four minutes. Give or take a few seconds.

Post December 13th, 2010, 10:09 pm

I was still listening before I posted.

Post December 13th, 2010, 10:21 pm

Calm down guys...he probably had the page loaded her while he was listening and posted it when he thought about it. It's really not that big of a deal [:P]

Post December 14th, 2010, 1:21 am

Points on hand: 2,597.00 Points
I think on ITL he also said that this prob. wouldn't mean adding the other trims back on, which means the whole ride could go trimless which would be epic.

Post December 14th, 2010, 1:28 am

Yes he did. It was one of the last things he mentioned on I305 which is why my post came a little bit after Tetsu's because it was included in that post.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!