Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Liseberg 2018 - Valkyria: B&M Dive Coaster

Liseberg 2018 - Valkyria: B&M Dive Coaster

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post September 27th, 2016, 9:35 am
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
Kanonen is getting axe'd in the process right?

Yes :cry:
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post September 27th, 2016, 9:50 am
Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points

Legendary investments at Liseberg 2017???2018

During 2017 and 2018 Liseberg will invest around SEK 250 million in new attractions and concepts for the 8,000-square-metre area near Balder. The inspiration comes from Norse myths and legends, and among other things means that Balder will be joined by two new attractions: Loke and Valkyria.

This is the biggest investment in developing an area of the park that Liseberg has ever made, and will be spread over two years. In 2017, Liseberg will open Europe???s tallest Gyro Swing attraction, and in 2018 Europe???s longest Dive Coaster. The site will also get new shopping, amusement and restaurant facilities. All the new additions will follow a theme inspired by Norse myths and legends.

???Our history provides fantastic tales to inspire us,??? says Lotta Carlsbog??rd, creative manager at Liseberg. ???This investment will take shape over the course of two years, rather like a tale in two parts.???

Loke ??? the battle begins
In Norse mythology, Loke was the most treacherous and devious of all the giants of Asgard. He cunningly and cold-bloodedly forged plans to kill the kindest and best-loved of the gods, Balder. In April 2017 the battle between the two giants will begin.

When you ride the Loke attraction you sit facing outwards with your feet dangling from a spinning gondola that also swings through an angle of up to 120 degrees. At the height of its swing the gondola rises 42 metres above the ground ??? twice as high as its predecessor, SpinRock ??? before plummeting at 100 kph towards Balder, so close that it feels as if the attractions will collide.

Valkyria ??? the point of no return
In readiness for the 2018 summer season Kanonen will be replaced by Europe???s longest Dive Coaster, a roller coaster that starts with a near vertical drop. Riders sit six abreast in trains that are three rows long, with their legs dangling free. After a 45 degree climb they find themselves at the highest point, 47 metres in the air. Just as the train is about to go over the edge the cars pause, and passengers are suspended in the air for a couple of seconds, before they plummet vertically 50 metres into an underground tunnel at 105 kph.

The name of the roller coaster, Valkyria, is also taken from Norse mythology. A valkyrie was a winged creature whose task was to carry fallen warriors from Middle Earth to the afterlife. And according to Daniel Lindberg, attraction manager, the ride will live up to its name.

???When you are fastened in and then drawn inescapably higher and higher it feels as if you could faint. Then as you hang, stationary, staring down 50 metres straight into the abyss, you are convinced you won???t make it. But after the ride you get a rush of adrenaline and really feel that you are alive!???

A whole new area is taking shape

The area will gradually take on a completely new look, with a combination of greenery and dramatic features. In addition to the new attractions, investments will also be made in amusements, shopping, restaurants and more places to sit. Because even on the battlefield of Middle Earth there will naturally be a few who would rather watch the bags than throw themselves into conflict.

FACTS ABOUT LOKE
Manufacturer: Intamin

Attraction type: Gyro Swing

Height, construction: 27 m

Max. height of gondola: 42 m

Max. angle of swing: 120 degrees

Max. speed: 100 kph

Number of passengers/ride: 40

Ride duration: 100 seconds

Capacity: 900 passengers/hour

FACTS ABOUT VALKYRIA
Manufacturer: Bolliger & Mabillard

Attraction type: Dive Coaster

Length: Around 700 m

Height: 47 m

Drop: 50 m (incl. underground section)

Max. speed: 105 kph

Number of passengers/ride: 3 trains x 18 passengers

Capacity: 1,100 passengers/hour

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Post September 27th, 2016, 11:47 am
herman116 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 7,471.00 Points
Sow a few years after Atmosfear opened they removed the other free fall rides because they weren't populair anymore with the visitors. Now a few years after Helix opened they remove their other launch coaster because it probably isn't that interesting anymore with the visitors?

It's sad to see Kanonen go but it seems logical for the park to remove the ride and place something new and unique to the park.

Post September 27th, 2016, 11:54 am

Points on hand: 73.00 Points
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
Kanonen is getting axe'd in the process right?

Yepp, even though i live close to Liseberg i've never actually been riding it, so i'm not sure what to think about that.. Sure will this Halloween though.
The new attractions looks amazing, and all those details in the theming is pure magic. Just look at that beautiful design of the MAX restaurant?!

Post September 27th, 2016, 12:02 pm

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
As for Kanonen, all I can say is "Relocation at least, please!" :sad:
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Post September 27th, 2016, 12:12 pm

Points on hand: 6,144.00 Points
The park doesn't need Kanonen imo, helix fills that gap for me!
Taron>Helix get mad

Post September 28th, 2016, 12:08 pm
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
I really hope Kanonen will be sold to a different park as it's quite a fun and unique coaster. Also the tiny footprint would make it ideal for some. :)
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post September 28th, 2016, 12:54 pm
Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

take it to my home park please
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post September 29th, 2016, 6:27 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,798.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

I'll have Kanonen. I love it and it would probably just about fit in the garden. I'm sure the neighbours wouldn't mind. I'll paint the top hate stealth style to hide against the UK sky.

RIP Kanonen :(

Post September 29th, 2016, 7:16 am
mkingy User avatar

Post September 29th, 2016, 9:26 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
gouldy wrote:
I'll have Kanonen. I love it and it would probably just about fit in the garden. I'm sure the neighbours wouldn't mind. I'll paint the top hate stealth style to hide against the UK sky.

Kanonen and Rita/Desert Race look like the worst accelerators by miles, so at least it's one of those.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post September 29th, 2016, 9:48 am
mkingy User avatar

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

Kanonen and Rita/Desert Race look like the worst accelerators by miles, so at least it's one of those.

Kanonen shouldn't be put in the same category as Rita/Desert Race. It's far far better - on top of that it's better than Stealth and other small top-hat-a-thons in my opinion.
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post September 29th, 2016, 9:48 am
Paradox User avatar

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

I've heard Kanonen is much better than Rita and Desert Race. In my opinion, Kanonen looks better than that Superman ride in Australia.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

Post September 29th, 2016, 10:50 am
Turbo User avatar

Kanonen is the best Hydraulic Launch Coaster I've had the pleasure of riding. It had everything I look for in a coaster even in its tiny layout. The fact that they're removing it actually bothers me.
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post September 29th, 2016, 1:33 pm

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
This thread might be the very first I've seen anyone say anything negative about Kanonen. I always thought it was a rather popular ride.
What are these for?

Post September 29th, 2016, 1:43 pm
Turbo User avatar

I mean objectively it's not the most reliable ride out there but the ride itself has nothing to do with that. It's pretty much aged magnetic fins and the hydraulic launch causing the problems.

Coasterkidmwm wrote:

Post September 29th, 2016, 4:32 pm

Points on hand: 7,125.00 Points

I remember Kanonen opening. Jeez how old I am.. Always wanted to ride Kanonen because of its uniqueness, the ride looks awesome. Yes, Please relocation!

Post September 30th, 2016, 4:55 pm
Turbo User avatar

It was weird but awesome, you didn't really feel speed only the compactness. Really added a unique aspect to the ride

Coasterkidmwm wrote:

Paradox User avatar

Looks like SpinRock has found its new home at F??rup Sommerland!

Hvirvelvinden

Try the wildest swing and spin! In 2017 we build whirlwind - our most daring theme ever. In the whirlwind you are thrown up and down from 19 meters height while you rotate around. But we warn you! You feel assured dizzy after a walk in the whirlwind. Are you among the tough and brave who dare?

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
Like... are you dare to feel "actual" foot-choppers?! Pretty awesome location! ;)
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Post November 25th, 2016, 1:01 pm
Paradox User avatar

Looks like the park changed its mind. Kanonen will close at the end of this season and not reopen for 2017 so that work on Valkyria can begin earlier.

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

Post November 25th, 2016, 1:04 pm

Points on hand: 5,955.00 Points
RIP Kanonen
Ok but how desperate you have to be to voluntarily fly from another country to go to Thorpe?

Post November 25th, 2016, 3:48 pm
Turbo User avatar

I will sincerely miss Kanonen. It was an awesome ride for the tiny footprint.

Coasterkidmwm wrote:

Post November 25th, 2016, 8:39 pm
Xenon User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 375.00 Points
Bank: 431.00 Points
I really hope Kanonen gets relocated to a park that needs it.
hyyyper wrote:
Turbo wrote:
WCD-Ltd wrote:
Some of the complaining people lived up to 200 Km away
That's a joke right? What complaint could they have possibly given?

They should only be allowed to complain about the coaster being built too far away from them.

Post November 25th, 2016, 11:13 pm
Turbo User avatar

Yes. My home park please. I'd love to ride it more than the probably 10 times I got in this year.

Coasterkidmwm wrote:

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!