Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Little Boy Has Stroke After Riding a Rollercoaster!

Little Boy Has Stroke After Riding a Rollercoaster!

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
rollercoaster.jpg
Stock Photo

A young 4 year old boy has suffered a stroke after riding a few rollercoasters on vacation. He only rode 2 rollercoasters but aparently this was enough to cause him to have a stroke. The first coaster was 30 feet tall, went 25 MPH, and was 679 feet long. The second coaster was 53 feet high and went 40 MPH. The boy had no immediate symptoms after riding the rollercoasters, but he began showing symptoms the very next day. He started with vomiting and then on the flight back home from his vacation, he began to develop a droop on the left side of his face. By the time the flight was over, he could not walk and he had weakness on his left side. The parents took him to a doctor and the doctor's confirmed that his artery had been damaged and that he had a stroke. After some medicine, he immediately showed signs of recovery. After 6 months, the boy can walk again with a limp, and he needs help getting dressed, but he can move his arm and grip things.

So what do you think? Is this going to make you think twice about riding a rollercoaster now? Let us know!

Source: CBS

Points on hand: 227.00 Points
Bank: 11,457.10 Points
Wait, where was he? Disney?
All hail your great Arrow Dynamics overlords.

Points on hand: 4,689.00 Points
Bank: 1,372.00 Points
well one of the coasters described is a roller skater, so it narrows down the park ..... somewhat.

Points on hand: 35.00 Points
Bank: 4,336.00 Points
Doesn't sound like the Coasters had anything to do with the stroke. You know how the media works.

Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
Omg the GP are going to overreact and say how unsafe rollercoasters are again.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Points on hand: 2,153.00 Points
i would say it was just dumb luck, he rode the rides and was fine... and then had a stroke the next day, sorry but no ride is going to last a whole day and they even said he was fine after riding, if had rode top thrill or kingda ka then i would consider it but not a small coaster like those described

Points on hand: 4,800.70 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

Agreed. It's unlikely that coasters that small were the immediate cause of the stroke. As stated above, If it were a giga or strate (I305 especially) I would think it is possible.
It's been a long time
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCErEzTkqrD55UEiIiiKsKmg

Points on hand: 103.00 Points
Bank: 4,290.00 Points
It's not impossible that the ride had something to do with it given special circumstances for example: a problem beforehand, maybe even an underdeveloped artery that just required the right kick to become damaged.

4 is pretty young. Hell I rode my first log flume at 6 but then again, we didn't have kiddie coasters in our local theme parks and I was too short for white lightnin'.

mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points
highthrills2 wrote:
i would say it was just dumb luck, he rode the rides and was fine... and then had a stroke the next day, sorry but no ride is going to last a whole day and they even said he was fine after riding, if had rode top thrill or kingda ka then i would consider it but not a small coaster like those described

Sure, but are you 4? Its all relative isn't it?
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Points on hand: 103.00 Points
Bank: 4,290.00 Points
I wonder if we would hear from Ed Markey this time.

Points on hand: 166.00 Points
I do not think that the roller coasters had any relationship to his injury. I think it might have been pre-existing. Not to mention who puts a 4 year old on a roller coaster?

Points on hand: 227.00 Points
Bank: 11,457.10 Points
I rode my first coaster when I was three........
All hail your great Arrow Dynamics overlords.

Points on hand: 4,689.00 Points
Bank: 1,372.00 Points
^^A Vekoma Junior coaster? I'd say a lot of parents.

Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Meh sucks to suck.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Points on hand: 6,337.00 Points
Coaster Hero wrote:
As stated above, If it were a giga or strate (I305 especially) I would think it is possible.

Uh, why?

Speed doesn't cause strokes.

Honestly some of the worst transitions (= sudden acceleration, MIGHT actually cause a stroke) have been on "family" coasters.

Points on hand: 4,033.00 Points
Poor little guy. No matter the reason it's a sad thing.
Intamin: The Force Awakens.

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Yea, I think there has to have been something wrong with him before this :P

Points on hand: 2,652.00 Points
Bank: 2,739.00 Points

TTD03 wrote:

Agreed, Though Roller Coasters can be a little too intense, even the "family" variety, for some, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the child had a pre existing condition, and the child and or parents ignored the safety restrictions posted at the ride entrance. I was at Disneyland a few weeks ago and rode Finding Nemo Submarine voyage (don't judge) lol. At the queue entrance it clearly stated that guests prone to motion sickness or those who suffer from claustrophobia should not ride. what do ya know, not more than halfway through the ride and this lady at the other end was having a panic attack because she couldn't handle the nature of the ride. Though it is possible she wasn't expecting the ride to affect her in that way,still, the safety warning signs are clearly posted and there is only so much a park or ride op can do to prevent these tragedies. There comes a point where blame needs to be placed in the appropriate direction, and accept the fact that riders do carry a certain responsibility in these cases. Any of us who have been to enough parks, ridden enough rides, seen enough videos know there is a risk that comes with amusement rides, especially roller coasters. There is only so much that can be done to prevent disaster.
"if you found your laughin' place, how come you ain't laughin'."https://www.facebook.com/calicoaster1/

Points on hand: 4,800.70 Points

TylerE wrote:
Coaster Hero wrote:
As stated above, If it were a giga or strate (I305 especially) I would think it is possible.

Uh, why?

Speed doesn't cause strokes.

Honestly some of the worst transitions (= sudden acceleration, MIGHT actually cause a stroke) have been on "family" coasters.

I wasn't talking about the speed, rather the intense positive g's experienced on those
It's been a long time
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCErEzTkqrD55UEiIiiKsKmg

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

spacemountainfan619 wrote:
TTD03 wrote:

Agreed, Though Roller Coasters can be a little too intense, even the "family" variety, for some, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the child had a pre existing condition, and the child and or parents ignored the safety restrictions posted at the ride entrance. I was at Disneyland a few weeks ago and rode Finding Nemo Submarine voyage (don't judge) lol. At the queue entrance it clearly stated that guests prone to motion sickness or those who suffer from claustrophobia should not ride. what do ya know, not more than halfway through the ride and this lady at the other end was having a panic attack because she couldn't handle the nature of the ride. Though it is possible she wasn't expecting the ride to affect her in that way,still, the safety warning signs are clearly posted and there is only so much a park or ride op can do to prevent these tragedies. There comes a point where blame needs to be placed in the appropriate direction, and accept the fact that riders do carry a certain responsibility in these cases. Any of us who have been to enough parks, ridden enough rides, seen enough videos know there is a risk that comes with amusement rides, especially roller coasters. There is only so much that can be done to prevent disaster.
Well said, and judged :P

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!