Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Most underrated coaster you've ridden?

Most underrated coaster you've ridden?

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post December 22nd, 2014, 7:59 am

Points on hand: 5,149.54 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

In response to the overrated coaster thread, what coasters have you ridden that really don't get enough credit for being an awesome ride?

I gotta go with KW's good ol' Thunderbolt. Some say it's losing its edge, but I highly disagree :D Classics ftw!

Post December 22nd, 2014, 8:29 am
VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 10,818.00 Points
California Screamin' - I had always heard people calling it California Sleepin', but I found it to be quite fun. Yes, some parts of it are uninteresting, but it has a nice launch, good drops, a forceful vertical loop, and a few decent airtime moments.

Post December 23rd, 2014, 7:24 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
Batman: The Ride clones.
People say it is short and sucks. I agree it is short, but it never has a line and it is one of my favorite B&M inverts because of its intensity!

VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Not the most underrated coaster ever, but Firehawk at Kings Island was a lot better than I thought it would be. It's fairly smooth for a Vekoma, has a nice forceful vertical loop, and I particularly liked the flying sensation. :)

slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,728.00 Points
The old Cyclone @ SFNE. One of the best first drops on any coaster, with unmatched ejector air.
Boulder Dash was the only good roller coaster.

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
slosprint wrote:
The old Cyclone @ SFNE. One of the best first drops on any coaster, with unmatched ejector air.

^This

Also Thunderbolt at SFNE and Wildcat at LC

Also pretty much every clone not made by Vekoma.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Points on hand: 4,800.70 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

TTD03 wrote:
Batman: The Ride clones.
People say it is short and sucks. I agree it is short, but it never has a line and it is one of my favorite B&M inverts because of its intensity!

I have to agree here

Also I really enjoyed Dominator at KD a lot. It has some great positive g's and is rather intense for a B&M. Especially a floorless. It's a really solid coaster overall.
It's been a long time
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCErEzTkqrD55UEiIiiKsKmg

Post August 24th, 2015, 8:42 pm
VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Another coaster I would consider as underrated would be Tornado at Adventureland. While it's not a mind blowing ride or anything, it has a lot of nice floater air of all of its hills, more so than I thought it would have. Also has good positive-Gs and decent laterals in the turnaround. I'm a little surprised I don't hear much praise for this ride. Then again, most enthusiasts probably haven't been to Adventureland.
thumb_image_12590.jpg

Post November 7th, 2015, 9:10 pm

Points on hand: 645.00 Points
Top Gun/Flight Deck/ The Bat at Kings Island. People always get so salty when I say Top Gun, so there's all three. It is very underrated and only because its a short ride and a long walk. It is very forceful and seems like you're gonna hit Banshee.
"When life gives you lemonade, make lemons. Life will be all like What!?"

Post November 7th, 2015, 10:23 pm

Points on hand: 2,126.00 Points
Bank: 1,000.00 Points
The Old Rattler at Six Flags Fiesta Texas. It was pretty rough but one of my favorite coasters as a kid :)
Attachments
SFFT-rattler-tlb92-2.jpg

Post November 8th, 2015, 2:27 am

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
Yeah, I miss this Rattler, too. :sad:
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Post November 8th, 2015, 10:30 am

Points on hand: 2,849.00 Points
Chinese Fireball side of Dragon Challenge. I went to Florida expecting a pretty good B&M Invert here, but what I got was better than Montu, Alpengeist, and Afterburn! This coaster kicked ass, it had perfect pacing, it was great. Montu on the other hand has a very dull section after the second vertical loop which kills the vibe.

The Hungarian Horntail ("Ice" side) track was not even close to being as good as Red. It has a few great elements, but that first turn after the drop, and everything after the dueling loops is really lame... In fact, I rank my B&M inverts like this:

1. Dragon Challenge (Red)
2. Montu
3. Alpengeist
4. Raptor
5. Afterburn
6. Dragon Challenge (Blue)
7. Flight Deck
8. Batman (favorite)
9. Silver Bullet
10. Great Bear

Post November 8th, 2015, 11:39 am

Points on hand: 4,033.00 Points
I'm going to go with Fahrenheit at Hershey. What a great compact Intamin looper that no one ever talks about.
Intamin: The Force Awakens.

Post November 10th, 2015, 7:35 am
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
I think Fiorano GT Challenge at Ferrari World is pretty underrated. This is mostly due being overshadowed by the big Formula Rossa. But this little dueling is probably the closest you can get to creating a car racing experience on a coaster. The accelerating, laterals and decelerating make this ride extremely fun!
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post November 10th, 2015, 8:31 am

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
^ True that, because I think most NL and NL2 users know that it's pretty fun to make winding tracks with some nice lateral g's! Therefore this coaster is a great example for lateral actions!

8-)
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Post November 12th, 2015, 9:18 am
VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

While I'm not a fan of Mean Streak, it was not nearly as bad as everyone made it out to be. It is a very boring ride and my 2nd least favorite ride in the park (behind Iron Dragon), but considering the way everyone described it, I was expecting to be carried away from the ride on a stretcher. ;)

Post December 2nd, 2015, 6:19 pm

Points on hand: 1,428.00 Points

slosprint wrote:

more specifically the original cyclone not the mess it had become by the time it was converted.
Paradox wrote:
slosprint wrote:

^This

Also Thunderbolt at SFNE and Wildcat at LC

Also pretty much every clone not made by Vekoma.

Both great coasters and yes underrated. Though when ti comes to Figure 8 coasters in New England the lost black hole Flyer Comet at Whalom Park was Superior to SFNE's Thunderbolt.

My Pick
it's another New England Woodie that tops my list of underrated coasters.

Yankee Cannonball at Canobie Lake Park

The park takes great care of the coaster. despite its height which is short by today's standards but not when it was built in 1930. But it' steep drop and tight layouts packs a huge punch. a shining star in an often overlooked park in New England

Post December 2nd, 2015, 7:45 pm
Paradox User avatar

^Yes I love Yankee Cannonball!

Silver Bullet also comes to mind. People said it was forceless and a bad ride, but I was really surprised by it. It had some great forces and is overall really fun.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

Post December 2nd, 2015, 7:59 pm

Points on hand: 3,410.00 Points
I can't really think of many 'under-rated' coasters, just 'over-rated'. The only one that comes to mind is the Georgia Cyclone. It's a pretty good ride nowadays.

Post December 2nd, 2015, 10:32 pm

Paradox wrote:

Silver Bullet also comes to mind. People said it was forceless and a bad ride, but I was really surprised by it. It had some great forces and is overall really fun.

I find most people do once they ride it. many travelers get as far as LC and SFNE and stop traveling further east.

Silver bullet is on my want list as well as the park. helpful that there is a KOA campground right next door.
Wittloc wrote:
I can't really think of many 'under-rated' coasters, just 'over-rated'. The only one that comes to mind is the Georgia Cyclone. It's a pretty good ride nowadays.

Cyclone is a nice coaster and easily the best wooden coaster in the park. Great American Scream Machine is fun but lacks something.

Post December 3rd, 2015, 12:26 pm
Paradox User avatar

^I don't usually go to Canobie and haven't been there in like three years due to the fact that I am pretty far from it and sometimes the 2 and a half hour drive isn't always worth it.

Batman @ SFNE is really underrated. It's a really fun floorless.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

Post December 3rd, 2015, 1:18 pm

mrceagle wrote:
Paradox wrote:

I find most people do once they ride it. many travelers get as far as LC and SFNE and stop traveling further east.

Silver bullet is on my want list as well as the park. helpful that there is a KOA campground right next door.
Wittloc wrote:

Cyclone is a nice coaster and easily the best wooden coaster in the park. Great American Scream Machine is fun but lacks something.

I think Scream Machine is just lacking comfort.

Post December 4th, 2015, 1:14 am

Paradox wrote:
^I don't usually go to Canobie and haven't been there in like three years due to the fact that I am pretty far from it and sometimes the 2 and a half hour drive isn't always worth it.

Batman @ SFNE is really underrated. It's a really fun floorless.

I know the feeling while Canobie is a hour every other New England park is 2hr 15 min to 3 hours from me. I'm the same with SFNE and LC.

I agree Batman is underrated. I remember when it first opened and the reviews were horrible. people complained about it's small size and ignored how much it packed into it.
Wittloc wrote:
mrceagle wrote:
Paradox wrote:

Wittloc wrote:

I think Scream Machine is just lacking comfort.

upgraded PTC trains have a comfort problem I agree. but my experience was a slightly rough wood coaster with moderate forces. Fun but nothing to write home about.

Post December 4th, 2015, 10:10 am

^ Yeah but GASM gives one hell of a ride if you're looking for airtime! I literally stood up during the ride.

Post December 5th, 2015, 1:03 am

I have ridden GASM on 2 separate trips the first in 94 was what you describe, the second trip was in 97 and the ride seemed to have lost a bit of its force. another SFOG underrated coaster though apparently it has gotten rough in its age is Ninja. I loved that ride. It's got an amazing layout and looks great over the water.

Next

Return to General Theme Park Discussions