Board index Roller Coaster Games No Limits Coaster Question about B&M Coaster Brakes

Question about B&M Coaster Brakes

Discuss anything involving No Limits Coaster Simulation.

Post July 30th, 2009, 11:47 am

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points
I am working on my Dive Machine and i need to know when to use LIM or Friction. Are LIM's mostly used for critical stops before regular brakes or the other way around? I checked the RollerCoaster Database and looked at pictures related to my design but i couldn't see any details.

Help would be apreciated.[:D]

Post July 30th, 2009, 12:06 pm

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

Dive Machine's have a set of magnetic brakes at the beginning of the brake run to smoothly slow the train in a short space, then are followed by squeeze brakes to stop the train.

Post July 30th, 2009, 12:08 pm

Points on hand: 50.00 Points

Post July 30th, 2009, 12:47 pm

Points on hand: 1,004.00 Points
Griffon has clamp brakes throughout. (If I remember correctly)

Just keep scrolling...

Post July 30th, 2009, 1:39 pm

Points on hand: 62.00 Points
A good example to look at is Black Halo by Wing-Over. LIM brakes are used to slow a car down without any friction being inflicted, and then once the car is slowed to a certain speed, then the friction brakes come in to actually stop the car. Now that's not the case for every coaster, but in the more recent coasters (I think), the LIM and then friction brake combination is being used more and more.
So, my friend came up to me the other day and asked if I wanted a frozen banana, and I said no, but I want a normal banana later, so... yea.

- RIP Mitch Hedberg

Post July 30th, 2009, 2:55 pm

Points on hand: 2,579.00 Points

Originally posted by griffonluv

Actually I do believe Griffon has LIMs at the beginning.

I've ridden Griffon at least 100 times, starting with the first preview day, and I am 99.9% sure that it hits LIMs first, then friction brakes. Unless of course they have some sort of friction brakes that smoothly stop the train without any noise...

Post July 30th, 2009, 5:53 pm
SauronHimself User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 1,641.00 Points
I remember that B&M used to exclusively install friction brakes on their coasters and eventually progressed to using LIM's, and they began retrofitting many of their existing coasters with these(i.e. Nitro).

I rode Griffon a few weeks ago, and I do recall seeing LIM's first and then friction brakes.

Post August 2nd, 2009, 9:40 pm

Points on hand: 50.00 Points
I see LIMs on SheiKra, ive not been on it, but that looks like a brake run to me.
[19:47:28] rcking04: /smoke bong through wrong end

Post August 2nd, 2009, 10:04 pm

Points on hand: 3,043.00 Points

Process of elimination: it sure as hell isn't a clamp brake, so what else is it besides lim's?

Post August 2nd, 2009, 10:31 pm

Points on hand: 62.00 Points
^ Nothing. yyyyyyyaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy.
So, my friend came up to me the other day and asked if I wanted a frozen banana, and I said no, but I want a normal banana later, so... yea.

- RIP Mitch Hedberg

Post August 2nd, 2009, 10:54 pm

Points on hand: 1,004.00 Points
Originally posted by SauronHimself

I remember that B&M used to exclusively install friction brakes on their coasters and eventually progressed to using LIM's, and they began retrofitting many of their existing coasters with these(i.e. Nitro).

I rode Griffon a few weeks ago, and I do recall seeing LIM's first and then friction brakes.

You are correct. The first few feet are LIM's then the rest are clamps which kinda jerk you to a stop.
Just keep scrolling...

Post August 3rd, 2009, 12:10 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Originally posted by coasterpimp

Process of elimination: it sure as hell isn't a clamp brake, so what else is it besides lim's?

The liberal conspiracy to steal all of our guns.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post August 3rd, 2009, 12:14 am
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 44.00 Points
Bank: 4,333.00 Points
Talon is exclusively squeeze brakes. Hydra however uses both magnetic and squeeze brakes. I am assuming that some time between 2001 and 2004 B&M started to make the transition to both.

Post August 3rd, 2009, 3:59 am

Points on hand: 77.00 Points
I don't think they're LIMs . . . They're probably magnetic stationary brakes . . . Please, correct me if I am wrong, but why would you purchase and power Linear Induction Motors to slow a train down when you could much more easily and reliably use stationary magnets . . .

BTW, I love hitting e-stop in NoLimits to make coasters crash when people just use a transport section as a brake instead of, oh gee I don't know, a brake section as a brake. Especially with all the options that are available for formatting a brake segment.

I just don't think that B&M would make a brake that totally and completely fails to operate without a constant flow of power (like LIMs do). I do think that B&M would make a brake that totally and completely operates with no power, (like stationary magnets do).

</nit picking>

Post August 3rd, 2009, 8:30 pm

Points on hand: 1,561.00 Points
Originally posted by griffonluv

B+M's all Dive machines has LIM for Brakes
(Motionless long bar with slots inside)

Heres pic (Dive Coaster ,Chimelong Paradise)

Regular Brakes

(photos by ljtplane)

Post September 25th, 2009, 12:56 pm

Points on hand: 115.00 Points

Post September 25th, 2009, 1:06 pm

Points on hand: 1,086.00 Points
Lol i don't think so correct me if i'm wrong but i think those magnetic brakes dont use any energy at all so you can't be launched backwards, at least i know there are magnetic brakes which don't need energy, but maybe not on coasters.

Post September 25th, 2009, 3:17 pm

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points
Originally posted by neopuma

I don't think they're LIMs . . . They're probably magnetic stationary brakes . . . Please, correct me if I am wrong, but why would you purchase and power Linear Induction Motors to slow a train down when you could much more easily and reliably use stationary magnets . . .

BTW, I love hitting e-stop in NoLimits to make coasters crash when people just use a transport section as a brake instead of, oh gee I don't know, a brake section as a brake. Especially with all the options that are available for formatting a brake segment.

I just don't think that B&M would make a brake that totally and completely fails to operate without a constant flow of power (like LIMs do). I do think that B&M would make a brake that totally and completely operates with no power, (like stationary magnets do).

</nit picking>

Yes they are lims, and unlike in nolimits, they are failsafe even in an emergancy stop situation.

And yes, after like a million rides on griffon i know that it uses lim brake to do most of the decelerating.

Post September 25th, 2009, 4:03 pm
GavG Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 973.00 Points
Bank: 950.00 Points
Unless Oblivion has had an upgrade it uses friction brakes, you can't beat the sound as you come onto the break run and forced to a stop.
LIM's or permament magnets have alot less running costs as there is no friction taking place, they were always going to take over at some pint and I would say at some point friction brakes won't exist on any modern coaster.

Post September 27th, 2009, 5:50 pm

Points on hand: 1,432.00 Points
Originally posted by neopuma

</nit picking>

You're correct, in reality those are just regular magnetic induction brakes, not LIMs. However, the only way to simulate B&M magnetic brakes in NL is to use the LIM option. The B&M LIMs in NL intentionally look like B&M magnetic brakes and can be made to behave like them as well, so it really doesn't matter from a simulation standpoint.

Post September 27th, 2009, 10:44 pm
Brtnboarder495 Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,362.00 Points
When I rode Silver Bullet, it had magnetic brakes then friction brakes.

Post September 28th, 2009, 12:55 am

Points on hand: 77.00 Points
Originally posted by Kyle Sloane
Yes they are lims, and unlike in nolimits, they are failsafe even in an emergancy stop situation.

And yes, after like a million rides on griffon i know that it uses lim brake to do most of the decelerating.

NO, they are not LIMS. A powered Linear Induction MOTOR for slowing down? No way. If I haven?????????t made it clear enough already LIM stands for it is Linear Induction Motor.

Here, in classic internet forum form, I will now provide you with a Wikipedia link to explain to you and all others what a Linear Induction Motor is and how it works, enjoy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_motor

Now, please show me where (and I am open to any reputable source for this) it says that LIMs are widely used in roller coaster design as fail safe ways to slow down a train.
Originally posted by Kennyweird
You're correct, in reality those are just regular magnetic induction brakes, not LIMs. However, the only way to simulate B&M magnetic brakes in NL is to use the LIM option. The B&M LIMs in NL intentionally look like B&M magnetic brakes and can be made to behave like them as well, so it really doesn't matter from a simulation standpoint.

That?????????s a fair comment, I wasn't arguing what to use in the program as much as what it is in reality. Personally, in those situations, I use a brake segment, not set it as a block brake, turn on the transport section, and turn off the brake visibility. Looks like what you want, and does what you want. Also, just like in reality, doesn't fail in an e-stop situation.

I get really annoyed when people refer to Magnetic Brakes as Liner Induction Motors, mostly because, they?????????re not.

Return to No Limits Coaster