Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park Trip Reports Six Flags America - 4/12/2014

Six Flags America - 4/12/2014

Visited a theme park and have a wild time?!? Post your trip report here and tell us all about it!

Post April 12th, 2014, 11:00 pm
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,049.50 Points

This past week I have been in Washington DC doing some consulting for an up and coming special interest group that is pro-federal regulation of the entertainment industry, or at least certain parts pertaining to the design, construction, and operation of amusement devices.

Having the weekend off I figured it would be a good chance to visit Six Flags America. You know, for science. Also because there is good money in learning from other peoples mistakes.

I showed up at the front gate around 10:15, only a hand full of people where there waiting. Several blue tags and a silver tag where out front lurking around. I think they were a bit underwhelmed by the opening attendance. Probably because the hours on the site weren't displaying correctly so the park actually showed up as closed.

The gates opened for gold pass holders a few minutes later. Walking in from the front gate you are immediately presented with a genuine knock off of Disney's Main Street. The first thought that came through my mind was "there is no way in hell Six Flags built this". I found out later that it was built prior to Six Flags ownership when the park opened in 1973. The level of theming is immersible, but as soon as you get to the first split in the road it abruptly ends.

At the fork I turned right, and headed across the rail road tracks to the Gotham City side of the park. The level of theming in this part of the park, well it's almost non-existent other then the signage and Bat Mobile model. Passed Jokers Jinx and across the rail road tracks again, way in the back of the park is Superman. Even further then Superman is Batwing, which didn't open until noon.

I walked onto Superman and sat in the first car of the first train. 6 rides later I got really board with it. The lay out of Superman consists of a few hills that feature some good sensations, but the helixs just destroy the pacing of the ride. Any turns on a ride destroy energy, this ride was 75% turns. It was like riding a test coaster in roller coaster tycoon where you built a lift, and the first hill, and then just built a bunch of straight track back to the station. The park already has an out and back coaster wooden roller coaster for kids and families, what it really needed was a hyper-coaster with some balls.

Leaving Superman via the gift shop, and after having walked all the way back to civilization. I realized how much of a desperate landscape this park was. The rides are spread so far out as to almost maintain the illusion that the park is bigger than it really is. There aren't even bathrooms by Batwing! You would have to walk 10 minutes before finding one. But dammit they have a funnel cake trailer and a vending machine for drinks out by the gift shop!

I headed for Jokers Jynx next, and it was a walk on. Jokers Jinx was one of two Premier Rides LIM Launch coasters purchased by Six Flags in 1999, her sister resides at Six Flags Fiesta Texas. These rides are now 15 years old, and the LIM modules are approaching the point where they need to be over hauled because they break down for one reason or another. With each LIM removed from service there is a noticeable reduction in launch performance can be felt. Not on this ride, it felt like the LIMs were brand new as the train reached V2 about half way down the launch tunnel. A surprising kick in the pants. Sporting a fresh coat of paint and some new brass in the brakes I would say someone has been looking after it quite well.

Rode it three times in a row and decided to move on. I walked back across the rail road tracks and turned into the loop that features Apocalypse and Roar. Walking passed the big Apocalypse sign and into the queue I realized that this ride had no real story line and doesn't really fit into any particular area of the park. The area this ride exists in is pirates theme, but you wouldn't know it because well, any pirates theming outside of the swinging ship ride is non-existent. With a passing train I saw the fireball ride up into a black mushroom cloud of poorly combusted gas and immediately knew that Mark Shaprio was responsible for this travesty.

Having ridden this ride back when it was Iron Wolf, and having ridden it's currently dismantled cousin Batman from the late Astroworld I was prepared for some head banging. I soon found out after the first drop that well, it's gotten worse. I feel this ride should have never been placed back into service as a stand up ride. It should have been re-engineered as a sit down or floorless. What should have been a lovely new marquee attraction for a small park in DC turned into a plotless headache whose alleged theme is the destruction of the world and all man kind. When Shaprio approved the apocalypse name I thought it was just for preparing the share holders for the timely death of the Six Flags franchise.

After popping some advil, I collected my thoughts and moved on down the road to Roar. As of late, Six Flags has not been known for having smooth well looked after wooden roller coasters. Instead opting to replace the bigger ones with steel track, steeper then vertical drops, and inversions that would otherwise not be possible with laminated wood construction. For a while there even the out and back wooden coasters with basic geometry were getting pretty rough. This was not looking good for my newfound headache.

You can always tell by the sounds it makes when a wooden coaster is running rough. You can see by the jerky movement in the trains as it passes over sections of track which just are fitted right. Roar being tucked away with no good viewing angles on three sides, I really did not know what to expect. It sounded good, and most of the bolts appeared to still be in the correct places on the trains, and the guest weren't walking off in paint. So I kept an open mind, and man was I surprised.

Roar features these swooping fan tail drops and it's constantly changing direction. Sometimes it tells you which way its gonna go, other times it leaves you guessing. Significant portions of the ride have been recently re-tracked. It felt it was superbly smooth. It's not the biggest ride, it's not the fastest ride, but then again it doesn't need to be. It certainly has it's place within this parks collection of rides. I hope that this level of maintenance will continue for this ride.

After leaving roar I headed over to the parks wild west section to check out the SLC and see if this park had anything else to offer. Unfortunately when I got there I found the rides operators on ride marketing duty. So I went to go eat lunch at a nearby restaurant and wait for Batwing to open. The food definitely left some room for improvement. The portions were small, and the chicken tenders were undercooked and the fries soaked in grease. The parks only been open for a few days so far this season and you can tell there is quite a bit of experience lacking in all departments.

After finishing lunch it was time to ride Batwing, a Vekoma flying coaster. I have only ridden the B & M implementation of this type before and always wanted a competitors implementation to contrast and compare. I walked all the way to the back of the park again, this time taking the loop that includes an expanded kids area. Just after passing the rail road tracks I noticed something behind Apocalypse that caught my eye. It was the remnants of Skull Mountain, an Int. reverser flume ride with a compatible theme that was replaced by an abusive stand up coaster. Not sure why they did not cut it up, but im pretty sure it was just laziness.

Arrived at Batwing, there was about a ten minute wait. I was thankful because it allowed me to see what I was about to endure. From afar it became immediately apparent the problems with this rides design and implementation. As the train departs the station, riders lay on their backs. Once out of the safety of the station, this means that you are staring directly into the sun. The lift hill also faces in a direction that is conducive to guest being exposed to this problem anytime the sun is out.

Looking at the train I noticed that the restraints were soft flexible straps (two point racing style harness) and not hard over the shoulder restraints. This was good, since there are already too many headbangers in this park. As side from a few odd transitions and weird forces the ride was pretty un-remarkable. It's very short and it ends in an abrupt stop. Neither of which made my head feel any better.

I headed back out of Narnia and back out the big wooden roller coaster and into the mardi gras section of the park. This area had recently been re-themed and construction was still in progress. Weirdly they built a wooden bridge across the rail road tracks, this meant the train was down, but it allowed for a complete loop of the area. I rode the freefall tower for old times sake, and walked around and looked at the new bar and wild mouse ride that they had recently finished assembling. Walked around some more and re-rode a few things, took some pictures, then headed for the exit.

Reflecting upon my trip to this park, I really feel like it's ride collection is a result of being a dumping ground for second rate rides that no other Six Flags park wanted. What ride wasn't donated to them was purchased out of the bargain bin or from passing carnivals. It's like half the park was designed and well thought out with ten year plans and extensive theming and variable ride styles, and the other newer half was thrown together by a drunk schizophrenic over a few weekends. The sparseness of the attractions in the back half of the park combined with the low quality and repetitive nature of the flat rides really cheapened the experience provided by this park. How can you have a park with 8 coasters, three of which are decent, and a bunch of flat rides that do exactly the same thing.

So in closing, Do I feel it's a good value? Maybe. Is it worth visiting more then once in a year, no. Does it provide a lasting memory, no. Is it a world class attraction? No.
Attachments
003.jpg
Welcome to Six Flags America. Where the park is now open on it's second weekend, and two train operation won't be possible until after spring break.
012.jpg
Significant portions of Roar were re-tracked recently. It was actually a really awesome ride that I enjoyed. I wish I could have gotten more pictures, but it's kinda tucked away where that's not really possible.
018.jpg
This should have been re-engineered to be a floor less or sit down. It was bad when it was Iron Wolf, it's even worse now.
020.jpg
The nice thing about this loop is it's a straight line, which means you won't be banging your ears in between both sides of the shoulder harness.
024.jpg
So confused on the theming of this ride... no story... no pre-show... but the audio and the end of the ride says we survived! Which is cool, because I was having a Six Flags day.
025.jpg
Even if you found it you can't ride it, because it's down during spring break.
026.jpg
Really?
027.jpg
All Aboard! - Oh.. wait, what? Who the hell builds a bridge across a rail road track.
068.jpg
How many photo eyes are in this picture?
070.jpg
The attendants thumb is clearly extended, providing a perfect all clear signal to advance the train.
071.jpg
Remember Skull Mountain? Ya, they forgot to remove some of it.
079.jpg
When I retire, I am going to have one of these built in my back yard.
082.jpg
Can you tell which cars are hitting the LIM casing with it's fin all the way down the launch?
085.jpg
Don't worry about the funny rattling noises that sound like loose dust covers because the paint is so shiny!
096.jpg
Not sure which color scheme I like more, poltergeist yellow and aqua or jokers jinx purple and green.
093.jpg
Certain rides and attractions may appear taller then they actually are.
094.jpg
Super Man Ride of Steel: Because building tall hills costs money and large radius over lapping curves wastefully dissipate energy.
086.jpg
B & M did it better.
098.jpg
In case your wondering, the by pass valve for the water curtain was open today.
100.jpg
Spinny spinny, splash splash. Every 90 seconds a boat climbs the lift.
065.jpg
Every time I see a ride that is primarily operated by traveling carnivals installed as permanent construction the offending park starts to loose credibility as a theme park. This isn't a marquee attraction, it's just filler for dead space between the swing and the funny cake trailer! Keep it classy Six Flags. Keep it Classy.
066.jpg
Save your money, go to your local park and ride the swing on your stomach.
069.jpg
089.jpg
This interesting specimen was produced by vekoma. The same folks who brought you such favorites as the hang and bang, the bangerang, and that other ride where riders face each other that manages to make it's way into the head lines every once in a while because it gets stranded.

Batwing features wierd transitions between face down flight and non face down flight, you start on your back and get to stare and the sun which isn't very pleasant. The lift hill faces in a direction that makes this problem worse. And the ride is all the way in the back by itself with a flash pass entrance that's not clearly marked.
054.jpg
Welcome to the Bumper Cars. Where ride operators go to die.
051.jpg
This park doesn't have a bangerang, but it does have a hang and bang. Good thing it was down today, I would hate to see the people suffer.
050.jpg
I raise concerns over this sign given the fact that this is allegedly a water ride. Water + Electricity = Bad

Perhaps more suitable signage should say: "No Running, No Diving, No Life Guard On Duty" or "You should not swim in our rapids ride for the same reason you wouldn't swim in a blender."
048.jpg
If you ever wondered what a rapids ride looks like with out any water, this is the picture for you. During the off season this ride can be used by the local university biology department to study the break down of plant materials when exposed to water.
046.jpg
Sit, Spin, Bake in the Sun. This is in the wild west section of the park, which is set in the 1840s to 1850s time period. To keep the old west theme authentic, electric restraint releases aren't installed on this ride. It takes twice as long to load as it does to complete one cycle. I call it the roto-bake, and I think it should be sponsored by the same folks who make the ez-bake oven.
043.jpg
Can you count how many rides in this park do basically the same thing?
034.jpg
A wild three bench PTC appeared. Its SBNO because large segments of rail were cut out by maintenance before lunch time.
037.jpg
Fun Fact: Six Flags America Announced their 9th coaster with the revival of this area of the park.
038.jpg
According to a source thats not the dip n dots guy, that shell of a building is allegedly going to be a bar. A franchise of a real bar in New Orleans. I asked around, but no one could tell me if they would be importing the authenticate Burban Street vomit smell to the theming, or if there would be a boobs for beeds program.
097.jpg
Fresh Paint, Lense Flare, we are just two explosions away from a Michael Bay picture.
039.jpg
That's All Folks!
029.jpg
Every time I look at this ride I feel like I need to go visit my old friend Dungeon Drop.
031.jpg
When you shoot for the stars, a trouble light you will get.
035.jpg
There must have been a sale on these at IAAPA last year, because lots of parks are buying them up.
016.jpg
The operators of this attraction learned a valuable lesson today. Don't leave boats on the holding belt for extended periods of time, because they start to sink. And then they get stuck because the back is resting on the trough, just like this one did. I only saw the ride cycle a few times the whole day. I think something else broke with it as well.

Post April 13th, 2014, 4:12 am
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Nice pictures :) I look forward to the full trip report!
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post April 13th, 2014, 8:21 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
I'm wondering what the next ride SF Great America sends to SF America will be. Maybe we'll give them Vertical Velocity or something. Still kind of annoyed they moved the spinny mouse but oh well.

I went to that park around 12 years ago. Definitely remember finding the random barren spaces very odd. I remember Joker's Jinx, Superman, and Wild One. Didn't get a chance to get on the SLC but I guess that isn't bad necessarily.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post April 13th, 2014, 8:03 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,552.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

That this ride needs is to be made into a brand spanking new ride. The heartlining between this stand up and a floorless coater are the same. So to make this a smoother experience, just convert it into a floorless roller coaster and retrack it a bit. Rough estimate it would cost about $1million but then they could market this to the general public as a new ride. A floorless roller coaster!

Seriously though, I rode it when it was still called Iron Wolf and its not a ride you want to ride twice. As a floorless though, I think it could be good.

Superman at the park looks good but I do see the point of the helices messing it up. They should have made it a pure thrill ride!
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post April 14th, 2014, 5:15 am

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
Do you think Apocalypse can be a new "Batman The Ride" type someday? I expect that. :)
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Return to Theme Park Trip Reports