Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Six Flags Mexico Gets Medusa Steel Roller Coaster

Six Flags Mexico Gets Medusa Steel Roller Coaster

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,502.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

It's official. Coming in 2014, Six Flags Mexico will introduce a brand new coaster experience, the first hybrid coaster of its kind in the country. Medusa will be transformed into the new innovative Medusa Steel Coaster, featuring a slick steel track atop a wooden base and this giant beast will feature impressive heights, astonishing speeds, stomach-tightening inversions, and an adrenaline rush like no other with its steep drop, extreme turns, and twisting inversions.

This technological innovation will combine the classic thrills of a wooden structure, with a new modern track and rails constructed out of steel, providing a ride that's fiercer and smoother than ever before. Riders will elevate up to touch the sky atop the 98-foot lift hill. Then, you'll whip over the peak and conquer the heart-racing plunge downward at an unbelievable 58 miles per hour. You'll reach the bottom of this gut-wrenching slope before you even have time to scream.

You'll then thunder around 3,000 feet of non-stop action, tackling surprising over-banked turns, sliding around dramatic curves, and twisting through outrageous inversions, flipping head-over-heels through a winding coil. Medusa Steel Coaster will feature two newly-themed trains topped with a mythic eye-catching Medusa head, which will run simultaneously to deliver continuous thrills and screams.

The renovated, first-of-its-kind roller coaster is set to debut in summer 2014. Are you ready to take on the rip-roaring Medusa Steel Coaster?

Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post August 29th, 2013, 8:06 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
SF Mexico won roller coasters this year.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post August 29th, 2013, 8:12 pm

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points

Post August 29th, 2013, 8:22 pm

Points on hand: 15,350.90 Points
They could have chosen a more creative name than "Medusa Steel Coaster". IMO ride names that are named after the precise kind of ride they are usually are not very creative.
Anyone who says "let's see you do better" I actually don't have any ideas.

Post August 29th, 2013, 9:26 pm

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
I think that might be the coolest drop designed by RMC
What are these for?

Post August 29th, 2013, 10:25 pm

Points on hand: 1,136.00 Points

Post August 29th, 2013, 10:46 pm

Points on hand: 2,736.00 Points
It's a great thing my family lives within a half hour from the park!
Originally posted by dcs221
\nMack Daddy A113. That'll be your rap name.

Post August 29th, 2013, 11:37 pm

Points on hand: 4,765.00 Points

Haha wow i did pretty much that exact drop to one of my old coasters like a week ago.

Post August 30th, 2013, 10:36 am

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
I might expect that this is going to be the best RMC so far. It's actually full of substance, with plenty of airtime, curves, fluid rolls. The back row experience is going to be beautiful. RMC is so smooth with their ways. Unless this has the Iron Rattler pacing problems, but still...

Post August 30th, 2013, 12:09 pm

I'm pretty sure the only reason rattler/ iron rattler has pacing problems is that they decided to put some of the more interesting looking parts on top of the cliff which will naturally be slower
What are these for?

Post August 30th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Points on hand: 2,153.00 Points
we should have a rmc contest just because of six flags new announcements :)

Post August 30th, 2013, 3:55 pm

Points on hand: 15,350.90 Points
If we do, count me out. I just don't want these to completely replace marquee non-GCI wooden coasters. Key word being "completely."
Actually, I'm not 100% certain about the 'count me out' part.

Post August 30th, 2013, 4:01 pm

Points on hand: 1,343.00 Points
Bank: 826.00 Points
Originally posted by highthrills2

we should have a rmc contest just because of six flags new announcements :)

I actually designed a template but, we still have the Multi-Launch contest up. I was going to wait until that one is over.

Post August 30th, 2013, 4:11 pm

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points
I like the shaping on thi ride ccompared to other rmc coasters. Each curve seems more precise and the ride seems less like a string of elements. I especially like the low speed curves all lined up in a row, and the overbank that leads up into a straight drop.

Post August 30th, 2013, 6:13 pm
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
Meh, stupid Six Flags for changing all the good woodies to RMC steel stuff. I assume the current ride is already closed? Otherwise I would quickly plan up a short visit to Mexico. [:)]
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post August 30th, 2013, 10:54 pm

Points on hand: 6,869.00 Points
^Yeah I think it is already closed sadly. I would say this one hurts the most so far. Medusa looks like it was a really good coaster. Not to downgrade Texas Giant or Rattler, but they actually needed work one way or another. All Medusa needed was new trains. It looked like it had some really quality moments throughout the ride.

I read on Screamscape that they're going to work on Boss next year. I just hope it's not RMC because Boss looks incredible. I think that the best possible situation for Boss would be to get Roar East's trains and Roar get Millennium Flyers, but who knows with Six Flags...
1.Boulder Dash | 2.Legend(HW) | 3.Beast | 4.Ravine Flyer II | 5.Intimdator 305 | 6.Phoenix | 7.Twisted Timbers | 8.Wicked Cyclone | 9.Thunderhead | 10.Storm Chaser

Post August 31st, 2013, 12:44 am

I think it is probably safe to say that this will be a more satisfying experience than Medusa...

Besides that note, most of the CCIs provide the exact same general experience as Medusa [if not better] with different profiles. If you want Medusa, just ride Boss, or GhostRider, or Legend, etc. etc. etc. In fact, I would bet that Cyclops is better than Medusa haha. Comfortable with insane airtime and lats. Anything with the Gerstlauer wooden trains is probably one of those 'please, only a few more elements' coasters [lol]

Post August 31st, 2013, 12:58 am

^^ I dont see them redoing one of the more highly rated woodies like that, And I keep reading on TPR(idiots) that with RT going that there are hopes great adventure is the next to get a RMC, which would also be a waste of space and money with El Toro a few feet away. The next logical SF re design would be colossus imo
What are these for?

Post August 31st, 2013, 2:07 am

Points on hand: 2,153.00 Points
i am one for keeping wood coasters and not hybrid steel whores,

i dont see this as a woodie, hell outlaw run is more wood then Goliath is by far and i want more old school wood coasters to come back

[pdie][pdie] RMC and Such FLags [pdie][pdie]

Originally posted by SkyArrow

If we do, count me out. I just don't want these to completely replace marquee non-GCI wooden coasters. Key word being "completely."
Actually, I'm not 100% certain about the 'count me out' part.
[pdie][pdie][pdie][pdie]

Post August 31st, 2013, 8:44 am

^They don't claim these ones as wooden. The Iron Horse makeovers were always claimed hybrid. Also can you please describe the thoughts that lead you to believe Outlaw Run is by far more wooden than Goliath..?

Post August 31st, 2013, 11:02 am

Points on hand: 9,972.00 Points
Has anyone realized that the ride will still be retaining pretty much the same layout from top view? That's pretty cool; NTXG and Iron Rattler had to remove large parts of the ride during the rehab, with one of the reasons possibly because the increased friction due to using nylon / polyurethane wheels vs using steel wheels was taken into account. I hope this doesn't compromise the pacing of the ride, but I trust RMC will be able to design an awesome coaster. That downward barrel roll into the final turn before the brakes looks awesome and will probably flow naturally, similar to Outlaw Run.
mkingy wrote:
Yoda was famously quoted as saying:

Yoda wrote:
Free the Orcas, you must
Sith will prevail, otherwise

Fluorometholone

Post August 31st, 2013, 1:19 pm

Points on hand: 143.00 Points
Bank: 3,000.00 Points
From the video it looks like it will be running the RMC trains instead of the Gersts that NTAG and IRAT use so hopefully it will have steel wheels.
RIP
Log Jammer, SFMM
1971-2011
Originally posted by richie5126
T: all newtons on this site are smooth so this must be high.

Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,502.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

This picture looks very nice of Six Flags Medusa

sfm-medusa.jpg

Source of pics is in the pic themselves 8-)
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
It's a shame they did this to an actual good ride, but it's looking like it'll remain a different good ride in the end at least.
Last edited by Coasterkidmwm on June 9th, 2014, 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,048.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Have to say that the track looks very aesthetic.

I agree CKM probably still be good, just different.
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Next

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!