Board index Roller Coaster Games Hard Hat Area The Defiler

The Defiler

The Hard Hat Area is the place to post construction news about your ride, so this is the place to hype your future upload!

Post July 14th, 2015, 12:08 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
So here is my Smiler-esque thing I was attempting to make for Plantoris' contest that I obviously didn't finish. I've always wanted to make something like Smiler, and its most recent incident increased that interest. The goal of this ride is inversion whoring to the max without using the Intamin 4 barrel rolls in a row thing and without requiring the massive hole Smiler is currently placed in. I've "honored" trenches the original has, but I'm trying to go for something more clone friendly. I'm trying to pay homage without going full 100% Gerstlauer, so hopefully my shaping isn't too odd. I'd like to pay homage to Smiler's "area of extreme attention and interest", but my bowtie is more like a traditional bowtie and less like Smiler's warped corkscrews that are vaguely like a corkscrew. The ride has roughly 110ft of elevation change between its highest point and lowest point. RCDB gives The Smiler a 98ft drop, which I'm assuming is the total height difference, so hopefully I'm not going too huge compared to the original.

So far it has 9 inversions. I'm shooting for at least 16, preferably 18 or 20. It has a pre-lift barrel roll, corky drop thing, a sea serpent (2), Gerstlauer's "immelman", that is really a very overbanked turn, a wraparound cobra-rollish thingy (2), and a bowtie (2). I wanted to avoid having a vertical lift but I can see how it's needed by design now since I've been making this, but it would be nice to squeeze in another inversion after what I have before the second lift. I wanted to make the lifts form an X in aerial view but real estate is limited so IDK. Ideally I could do the thing Mystery Mine does after the second lift before the final brakes to throw in another inversion, but we'll see. I'd like to stress that I'm trying to avoid going too heavily into terraforming so that the ride ends up a bit more standard, but again we'll see what happens.

For the second half I'm planning a twist to half loop (Smiler's first non-cork/barrel roll inversion after the drop), squashed loop (Junker's loop), and another twist to half loop that leads in a cobra roll that will somewhat mimic the "danger zone" of Smiler and not exactly mimic it. You'll notice my bowtie isn't "right" at all compared to the real thing. No point in trying to totally recreate the ride when a recreation already exists that is way better than what I could have done, so this will hopefully be my spin on it.

If you guys have any suggestions on throwing another loop or two in there let me know. I'm open to quite alot of ideas, included an inclined loop I scrapped because I felt the rider's needed a break from the G's. Layout so far is a bit ugly visually in my opinion, but supports may add a layer of complexity that makes it "work" when I get to that point. Again if you guys want to see a traditional vertical loop or something somewhere let me know and I'll see if it works with my skill level/vision.

And in closing, anyone know where I can attach a cage to some B&M floorless trains so that I can replicate the 4 car Gerstlauer Infinity coaster trains somewhat? Also please excuse the tire lift. All rides I make are in "shuttle mode" until I finish them.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post July 14th, 2015, 12:29 am
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,527.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

That looks really cool. I look forward to when you finish it and go thru it. Supports are going to be fun :P
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post July 14th, 2015, 1:47 am
True Addicts
True Addicts

Yeah I'm not looking forward to the supports lol. I have a bad habit of trapping myself in them.

Post July 14th, 2015, 6:07 am
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Look pretty good - seems like you've broken up the positive G's fairly well (Smiler does this very well with the two airtime hills in particular) although I'm curious as to what the G's are like in your inverted top hat turnaround?

I'd love to see something similar to the "rising spinning inversions" you get as the last two inversion of smiler - perhaps in reverse but I figure if you don't have natural height difference to play with it might look a little odd lofted in the air.

As for supports I've always aimed with this sort of project to work from the bottom upwards and do the ride in areas.
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post July 14th, 2015, 8:14 am
True Addicts
True Addicts

mkingy wrote:
Look pretty good - seems like you've broken up the positive G's fairly well (Smiler does this very well with the two airtime hills in particular) although I'm curious as to what the G's are like in your inverted top hat turnaround?

3.8ish in the valley, 0.2 at the top. I've tried to nerf everything on this.

Post July 14th, 2015, 8:17 am
mkingy User avatar

Sounds good, I was hoping you hadn't made a forceful top hat - which you haven't so I think given it stays out the negatives it would theoretically ride well IRL!
Coaster Count - 198

Post July 18th, 2015, 7:08 am
True Addicts
True Addicts

Hey guys general small shaping update:

*Moved the lift angle so that I wouldn't have an awkward tumor or the pre-lift barrel roll stick out
*Sea serprent rides nicer
*Gerstlauer's "immelman" (overbnk) rides nicer. I forgot this needs to tolerate 4 car trains.
*Bowtie is now a pretezel knot. This will be remade since it was overly rotated and morphed into an ugly thing to get the corkscrew lined up right after it. I also don't like how low it goes. I want the ride on flatter land. Yesterday I moved the lift closer to the core of the ride (thank you rotate tool!) and mirrored the corkscrew. Way easier that way.
*IDK what to call it but the psuedo-cobra roll wraparound thing is smoother
*Pre-lift barrel roll will be added in again later.

Basically lift #2 should pop up soon. Anyone know if The Smiler has a main brake as a block before the lift and then an additional block the train hangs out in while it waits or the lift or what the deal is there?

Post July 20th, 2015, 1:21 pm
mkingy User avatar

I believe that there is a "trim" brake which leads into a block brake section prelift (similar to all Eurofighters due to how the chain dog works).

However the anti-rollback on the Smiler basically allows the train to be lowered back into this braking zone. Regardless of this there must be a block marker at the top of the lift hill otherwise in the accident it wouldn't have even made it up the lift hill.

Video:
Coaster Count - 198

Post July 20th, 2015, 1:24 pm
Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
If you can contact Jammy I believe he has a script for the anti rollbacks and also has the add-ons for the floorless trains.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Post July 21st, 2015, 8:17 am
True Addicts
True Addicts

Thank you! To use B&M terms, I'll have a main brake and then a "safety brake" immediately afterwards that the train can set up in. I won't attempt to get a slow backwards crawl like that working, the riders can just be left on the lift Skyloop-style because screw em' lol.

Post July 22nd, 2015, 6:17 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

Double posting with another progress update.

*Scaled the ride down ~10%. It paces much better. Now the difference between the so far lowest point of track and the highest track is 104ft, compared to Smiler's 98ft drop. Shouldn't have to bury the ends of the cobra roll too much, but I might to make the ride's only tunnel.
*Altered the first lift's first drop to be more corkscrewy because I wasn't happy with having 1.0 laterals in the side seats on the more barrel rollish-style drop.
*Second lift added. Unfortunately it's a vertical lift but I have invented my own space constraints. First drop wraps around the vertical lift though :D
*Second main drop added.
*Been spreading the wraparound loopydoo with no name thing out progressively to accommodate the two drops piercing through it. Hopefully when I switch trains to the B&M floorlesses the clearances will hold. Might be tricky when multiple blocks are involved.
*Made the pretzel loop look more "traditional" and less like a severe AutoCad error. I'll bend it around when I stick the cobra roll through it.

Inversions so far:
A. Corkscrew drop (1)
B. Rollover (2)
C. "Immelman"/Overbanked curve (1)
D. Wraparound loop (2)
E. Pretzdel Loop (2)
F. Corkscrew (1)
G. Corkscrew drop (1)
That's ten inversions so far without the prelift barrel roll thing I'll add at the end. Teensy chance I'll be able to make it to 20 without forcing things too much, but we'll see since I realistically can see making 19 or 18 inversions total, but 19 would be such a shame if I don't squeeze the extra one in there....

Image is looking up from ground level at the wraparound loop with the two drops piercing the loop.

I plan on adding a squashed loopish thing like Junker has and of course a cobra roll but aside from that I'm open to other suggestions.

Post July 22nd, 2015, 9:36 pm
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,049.50 Points

So when do you add the bit where two trains smack into each other?

Post July 22nd, 2015, 9:38 pm
Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
^
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Post July 22nd, 2015, 9:48 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

Mikey wrote:
So when do you add the bit where two trains smack into each other?

I need to make a viewing platform first.

Post July 23rd, 2015, 1:03 am
mkingy User avatar

Looks awesome CK! I'm loving the first image - that's seriously cool (probably guaranteed Screenshot Saturday winner once it's all finished!). If you're stuck on 19 perhaps a post brake run barrel roll would suffice (although it'd be far more awesome to squeeze them all into the layout!

Did you manage to get hold of Jammy? I can hit him up on social media if not.
Coaster Count - 198

Post July 23rd, 2015, 9:37 am
True Addicts
True Addicts

I haven't bothered yet but I'll send him a PM some time because I haven't decided on colors yet. It's just a box that attaches to the floorless trains right? I hate custom trains usually because I can't check the G's in most lol.

Post July 23rd, 2015, 9:41 am
mkingy User avatar

Yeah I agree with you on that, 99% sure they are just an "add-on"
Coaster Count - 198

Post August 2nd, 2015, 1:55 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

Progress Update:
* Wraparound loop thingy adjusted again
*Whole layout was "widened" a bit because I forgot it needs to pass clearance tests with trains zooming around on different blocks
*Added squashed loop thingy that Junker has. It has -0.3G's at the peak. I'm trying to fudge the shaping a bit to get it less hangtimey but as-is I think it's acceptable. I'd be annoyed if I slammed into my restraint. Can't figure out if Junker's thing is zero G the whole way through or if it actually has hangtime. Maybe I can look at women's hair in offride shots to guess.
*"Drops" off the lift are much less spread out and compact because I moved the lifts around.
*Starting to fill in the rest of the ride. Should be able to hit 20 inversions if I'm lucky, but some adjustments may have to be made so that the trains duel somewhat.
*Miscellaneous shaping adjustments.

The clearances are giving me a massive headache, so once I have a "final layout", it'll probably be tinkered with pretty hard anyways. Need to leave room for loop supports as well. :x

Thanks for the support!

Post August 21st, 2015, 3:00 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

Double posting time!

I did a ton of crap, and I finally managed to get the knot at the end to work right. Not thrilled with the shaping in places (lots of NL2 autobanker swinging, some not as-fluid-as-they-could-be parts) that needs to be fixed still, but right now we're at 17 existing inversions with a possible 2 or 3 able to be made after the cobra roll I just added, and no pre-lift barrel roll added yet. Maybe I can hit drinking age.

Enjoy this mess I'm having trouble following and my glorious clearances.

This had better duel a bit lol

Post August 22nd, 2015, 4:13 am

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
^ The pooper (rhyming with a term "loop") and the decent looper! LOL at Poop: The Loop! :lol:
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Post August 22nd, 2015, 5:13 am
mkingy User avatar

That's actually incredible - if you need any help / suggestions when supporting drop me a line - I'd do almost anything to see this finished!
Coaster Count - 198

Post September 26th, 2015, 11:25 pm

Points on hand: 4,748.89 Points
What ever did happen to this?
Mind Bender at SFOG is pretty great
Check out my WIP thread
Currently working on Thunderbolt, a second generation Schwarzkoph.

Post September 27th, 2015, 12:13 am

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
^ Nearing completion, not WIP, I hope. :)
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Post September 27th, 2015, 6:37 am
True Addicts
True Addicts

It's on hold while I work on Rougarou. Yes I did manage to squeeze in 20 inversions. Layout needs to be stretched horizontally a bit so I can add in G killing sections. It's rideable by the arbitrary G limits the Intamin fascists have set but I don't believe those numbers at all and don't know where they came from so I'd like to soften it up a bit. The "knot" section will also be less of a needlessly giant tunnel.

Really it just needs a bit of a stretch in places, a prelift, supports, and scenery.

Hopefully this won't happen much.

Post September 29th, 2015, 1:15 am
mkingy User avatar

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
The "knot" section will also be less of a needlessly giant tunnel.

Could you set it on the side of a small hill like Smiler is?
Coaster Count - 198

Next

Return to Hard Hat Area