Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park Trip Reports PTR Thorpe Park 20/07/2014

PTR Thorpe Park 20/07/2014

Visited a theme park and have a wild time?!? Post your trip report here and tell us all about it!

Post July 13th, 2014, 12:50 pm
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Full Gallery (lots of crappy pictures): http://imgur.com/a/egn5o
Old Swarm Opening Day Gallery: http://imgur.com/a/Os5pI
Old SAW Opening Year Gallery: http://imgur.com/a/36Hwe

I didn't get nearly as many pictures as I'd have hoped - we were pretty tired with the humid weather and the travelling (+ lack of sleep) I've uploaded a couple more albums which has more pictures of the rides you guys mentioned :) Also Turbo they've grown the trees out the back of the SAW queue line so it's really difficult to get good pictures of the majority of the layout - again check out the older galleries! (I appear to be missing a few albums probably due to me getting a new PC at some point however)

So we went literally the last weekend before the summer holidays which is your last chance of avoiding horrendous queues I imagine. The weather was horribly muggy and hot - with it threatening to rain all day - however it didn't which was a bonus.

We arrived to the park a bit later than planned at 10:30 so due to everyone flocking straight to Swarm (90 minutes queue by the time we got into the park) we hit up Stealth instead.

DSCN0988.JPG
Stealth from afar

Stealth is the best launch you'll find in the UK - it's basically a half size Kingda Ka which basically epitomizes the difference between US parks and UK parks. Pretty good fun and one of those rides that you just wish they'd been able to do more with it!

DSCN0992.JPG
Stealth from the queue line

From here we headed towards Nemesis: Inferno - however it was temporary closed so we carried on passed Slammer (only remaining S&S Sky Swat in the world!) and Samurai (Top Scan model - doesn't run an especially fierce programme) and got in the line for SAW: The ride.

DSCN1046.JPG
Slammer mid-swat

This Eurofighter is themed around the movie series and is a decent attraction. The layout features an initial indoor section with a sharp steep drop and a heartline roll over this guy spurting water at you.

DSCN1001.JPG
SAW: The Ride's Drop

You then ascend the classic vertical lift and navigate the rest of the ride. There's a cheeky airtime hill out in the back with a lateral turn just as you exit it which is a nice touch. This ride felt less rough than other times I've ridden it but the first immelman is pretty rough - best to brace!

After this we hit up Colossus with the plan being to hit up Swarm as everyone else went for lunch (turned out well!). This is the feature 10-looper with a quad-heartline roll towards the end of the ride. Again this ride is pretty rough - and if you sit in the rear seats don't expect much leg room!

DSCN1022.JPG
Colossus' Loop

This ride is ride has some really good east-asian theming throughout the ride and the queue snakes round the ride and through some tunnels making it actually fairly bearable. It means you get to see the ride from pretty much every angle too!

DSCN1024.JPG
Colossus' Cobra Roll

Before lunch we quickly jumped on Rush which I failed to take a picture of hah. I was hungry. This is an S&S Swing that was installed with Slammer in 2005. Great ride although one arm seemed to be operating a bit inconsistently - wouldn't be surprised if it saw a bit of downtime later this season. After this we headed towards Swarm!

DSCN0994.JPG
Swarm from Stealth's queue

Since I rode this last they've switched round the back 2 seats to face backwards which is a bit of a gimmick but is actually pretty fun. First time I rode this it was my favourite ride in the park but it due to the style it does lack forces and on the day I preferred Nemesis! In the UK there are generally only front row special queue lines - however they were swapped for Swarm to be for the back two rows. It's amazing how little people care about the front row when they're told its nothing special as the front row queue was the same as for any other row!

DSCN1027.JPG
Swarm's Drop

I like the theming on the ride too - its not as dense as Colossus but it's pretty consistent and with the new billboard it definitely looks fairly good from the entrance! After this we decided to jump on Nemesis: Inferno despite the lengthy queue!

DSCN1055.JPG
Nemesis: Inferno Interlocking Wing Overs

This B&M invert is a pretty decent ride featuring 4 inversions and lots of close to the ground interactions. The ride is very compact and has loads of quick changes of directions and some okay forces (last helix is probably the only decent area for forces however!) I like it - it's definitely different to its sibling at Alton Towers however (and not as good!)

DSCN1059.JPG
Nemesis: Inferno mid ride

We finished off the day with Detonator which is a neat little drop tower! Overall it was a pretty fun day - and was glad to finally get my first theme park visit of the year under my belt hah :D

DSCN1060.JPG
Detonator about to... denonate
Last edited by mkingy on July 22nd, 2014, 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post July 13th, 2014, 12:54 pm
Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

Swarm pics! also Saw... Just grab a lot of pics haha. I wish I could go
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post July 19th, 2014, 9:40 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points

Post July 19th, 2014, 9:47 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,552.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

there's no month 20???
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post July 19th, 2014, 9:48 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Post July 22nd, 2014, 2:28 pm
mkingy User avatar

Post July 22nd, 2014, 4:58 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Post July 22nd, 2014, 7:07 pm
Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
Any news on the Angry Birds land?
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Post July 22nd, 2014, 9:45 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
When did Nemesis Inferno go from red to brown? Nice trip report BTW.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post July 23rd, 2014, 12:56 am
mkingy User avatar

Paradox wrote:
Any news on the Angry Birds land?

It kinda past me by if I'm honest! I'm not a fan of 4D experiences so there wasn't really naything new. Its a nice little retheme though.

CK - I didn't even notice whilst I was there! Might just be my really bad camera skills.

Thanks TTD003 ;)
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post July 23rd, 2014, 10:58 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Post July 27th, 2014, 6:54 pm

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
I guess Sky Swat is even testing the world's greatest thrill seekers! Totally crazy in a good way as your heads almost get slammed on ground! I so wanna try! xD
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Post July 27th, 2014, 7:19 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Return to Theme Park Trip Reports