Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Photography

Photography

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post March 6th, 2010, 3:04 am

Points on hand: 4,765.00 Points

Searched but couldn't really find a related thread, sorry if it's done before. Anyway...Just a basic post our own and comment on other's photography thread. I've been getting into this a lot lately, I'm not very good but I'm trying to learn. Besides coaster photos which I've been taking for years, I've been taking random photos around my town lately and I'm liking the results. It's a fun way to waste time, especially if you're bored late at night...break out the tripod and go for a walk.

Edit: If you're going to post, please post reasonable sizes and not pictures directly from your camera to keep loading times down. Faststone Photo Resizer is a good batch resizer if you don't have one. Imageshack also has several resizing options, as does Tinypic and the 'premium' photo sites like Flickr and Google's Picasa will give you several different sizes to work with. Please take advantage of them.

Here are some random ones from the other day/night:

Full set here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/boulderdashcci/sets/72157623544918902/

I'll post some more if it takes off at all...Hopefully it will.
Last edited by Freddie on July 16th, 2011, 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post March 6th, 2010, 3:10 am

Points on hand: 72.00 Points

Post March 6th, 2010, 3:12 am

Post March 6th, 2010, 3:15 am

these are really good! I like the damn one a lot and the last one.. I can never get good long exposure shots right

Post March 6th, 2010, 3:22 am

I'm finding I have a bad habit of overexposing....usually when I'm taking a night shot that has lots of light in it (I have been going to that train station pretty often and it's very well lit). I'm usually better off when I hand hold the camera in aperture priority because that gives me a much more realistic exposure....but when I set up the tripod and go into manual I always push it too far.

That said...10 and 15 seconds, when the lighting is right, is fun as hell:
:D

Have any of your own to post?

Post March 6th, 2010, 3:29 am

Points on hand: 196.00 Points

Wow, this looks great!
I'm not THAT much into photography myself, but I still love taking pictures.
I'll post some of mine later.

Fun fact:
On my last trip to Mirabilandia (2 days) I took about 1000 pictures.
lol

Post March 6th, 2010, 3:33 am

I most take these with my phone, so they are not usually good. I dont like really carrying around my Nikon so yea, here are a few.

Image Insert:
82.64 KB

Image Insert:
116.54 KB

Image Insert:
78.64 KB

Image Insert:
62.58 KB

I need to start carry around my nikon more and messing with the settings more too... I've been lately trying to get good HDR photos, but they usually fail.

Post March 6th, 2010, 3:38 am

Wow, this looks great!
I'm not THAT much into photography myself, but I still love taking pictures.
I'll post some of mine later.

Fun fact:
On my last trip to Mirabilandia (2 days) I took about 1000 pictures.
lol

Yeah, I take about 250-500 per park too. I think last year I topped out at 650 for one day (Great Escape and Hoffman's Playland). Of course I only pick the ones I like best for Flickr and the rest just sit on my harddrive untouched unless I want to see a specific angle or something like that. I try to take a lot of technical photos for myself and the 'artsy' ones are what gets uploaded.

I like that sign one a lot and the focus is pretty cool on the first one as well Backroadbridge, especially for a phone.

I want to try HDRs at some point but I really haven't gotten into the whole shooting RAW all the time/Photoshop thing yet. Basically just taking straight Jpegs and any editing is just done with Flickr's editing tool. The S90 has pretty good internal NR though, so straight jpegs don't look all that bad.

Also, what Nikon do you have?

Post March 6th, 2010, 3:52 am

I posted this to another site, so the formatting and everything was all ready to go so may as well post. These were taken with my old camera, a Powershot A610, which had ridiculously good full auto for some reason. It was my first camera, I had only had it for a couple months, didn't know how to use it at all, so these came out way too good considering that.

I went through my 2006 carnival photos last night, and found some decent ones I hadn't uploaded. Then I ruined them with Picnik, Flickr's editing tool. These were all taken full auto, hand held. Makes me miss my A610.

And this is my favorite one (no editing here):

Link to the full set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/boulderdashcci/sets/72157606489260162/

Post March 6th, 2010, 4:05 am

Sadly, I'm not sure which I have, I'll get back to you on that, I had left it in my truck, which is at the shop (freaking tires are shot). and yet again, impressive photographs...

Post March 6th, 2010, 4:40 am

That sucks, I hate being without a camera. When Yankee Cannonball decided it wanted to ding the lens housing to the point it wouldn't close on my A610, I had to go 6 months without any cam. Trying to shoot somewhat serious concert photos on a cellphone just doesn't work lol. But, now that I have the S90, all is well again, and I'm taking way more photos in the offseason than I ever have before which I like. Before I only really took photos at parks...now I'm finding that it's fairly easy to make anything look at least somewhat interesting.

Post March 6th, 2010, 2:21 pm

I have a Powershot A590 :D
It's a great little thing, and it was also quite cheap!
I'll post some images later, but for now, this is a picture I took with my phone last week...

Image Insert:
1062.82 KB

Post March 6th, 2010, 2:30 pm

Points on hand: 535.00 Points
So...

Is it cold up there?

[:P]
"Don't be a disability"... yep, still keeping that. :P

Post March 6th, 2010, 2:32 pm

That is really nice for a phone photo. I bet if you run it through a noise reduction program it would look even better, probably as good as some digital cameras.

omfg567, I looked through your Flickr earlier today, very nice stuff.

Post March 6th, 2010, 2:35 pm

Here's a day one of my street from a couple weeks ago...

And...in case anyone was ever wondering what my avatar is:

Post March 6th, 2010, 2:39 pm

Yay! I have my truck and camera back. I have a Nikon coolpix 8400. I like it, its a dependable camera. I'm probably gonna go out later to take some photographs, we'll see...

Post March 6th, 2010, 6:34 pm

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

Post March 6th, 2010, 7:17 pm

Points on hand: 1,601.00 Points
Sooooo......pretty.....

I wish I could take decent pics. I just don't have an eye for it most of the time.

Jakizle, what roller coaster is that last one of? I don't know why, but old woodies fascinate me.

Post March 6th, 2010, 7:42 pm

Post March 6th, 2010, 8:11 pm

Here's a couple samples from my last trip to Mirabilandia, all taken with my Powershot A590:

The next two are both taken with prolonged exposure. I think it was 16 seconds...
Also, without a tripod...

Post March 6th, 2010, 10:12 pm

Very nice photos...The ferris wheel one is really cool.

If you use Firefox, FxIF is a nice simple exif data viewer that will tell you all the technical info about photos, as long as they haven't been stripped. Your Katun one is 1.6 seconds, F2.6, iso200 and the ferris wheel is 15 seconds, f6.3, and iso80.

Post March 6th, 2010, 10:51 pm
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

I lost most of my pictures when my computer crashed, but a few survived, and here they are: three from South Africa, and three from my college, Muskingum University.

These pictures were all taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 camera. (Definitely not top-of-the-line, but it does have some great features, and was only about $100.)

First, three pictures from my trip to South Africa in December '08, then three from my fall '09 photography class at Muskingum...

1. Waves from the Indian Ocean crashing onto the rocks at Port Elizabeth:

2. A butterfly settling down onto one of the thousands of flowers at Kirstenbosch, a botanical garden near Cape Town:

3. A rather large member of the cat family right on the side of the road at a game park just south of Johannesburg:

4. A small, although cute, member of the cat family, commonly referred to as the "quad kitty," lounging around on the bridge over Muskie Lake at Muskingum University.

5. The New Concord Reservoir, turned into a reflecting pool for the fall foliage of southeastern Ohio:

6. Looking up the hill that leads to Muskingum University's dormitories, again with lots of fall colors:

Post March 7th, 2010, 12:43 am

Cool pics everyone. Its nice to see pics that arent of coasters.

Post March 7th, 2010, 2:14 pm

Ver4y nice cjd, especially the last two. Great colors.

Some more old ones:

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion