Board index Roller Coaster Games Hard Hat Area [NL2] Nordland - Turbo (Unfinished Release)

[NL2] Nordland - Turbo (Unfinished Release)

The Hard Hat Area is the place to post construction news about your ride, so this is the place to hype your future upload!

Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

What's up guys, The last 2 livestreams I did I constructed the track of my new ride Valkyrie. The biggest influences are Air and Sky Scrapper.

Here is the first part, the lift. The ride climbs a cliff to the top (Note terraforming isn't done yet, won't be until ride is complete)

After the lift, you drop down and do a mid-height turn with view of the Fenrir river

You come back towards the rest of the ride and drop down the same cliff you climbed earlier, barreling towards the main path and under it's bridge.

I needed to do a low fly over the path, I've always loved it on Air.

Yay for unique drops and elements :D

I've got two flatspins that work pretty well with eachother. The first flys over the path and the next comes out from under it.

This is the bulk of the layout. I love the path interaction and what I have planned to make it nice.

Hey look! There's another ride just over the hill!

The goals of the ride were to stay below the treeline and to include a decently paced layout. I feel I was successful :)

If you guys have suggestions or comments please post something, it's always appreciated and I love getting feedback :)
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post April 24th, 2014, 10:37 am

Points on hand: 2,777.00 Points
Bank: 122.00 Points
I'd like it to be more Sky Scrapper and less Air. I don't like the part after the drop, because it looks a bit forceless. You could add a Sky Scrapper style zero G roll. It would increase the intensity and views from the path would be breathtaking. But of course it's up to you. I love the half preztel and the exit from it, haven't seen it before. The other ride is Fenrir, isn't it? I watched your video and it was a great ride, so I'm not expecting less from this one.

Post April 24th, 2014, 1:13 pm
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Love the element over the station, not a big fan of the double inline twist at the end. What happened to good old air style rolls?
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post April 24th, 2014, 1:40 pm
Turbo User avatar

dapalm
Given the constraints of this ride, I am able to do only a limited amount inspired from sky scrapper. I am able to do much more with an Air styled ride, and that was kind of my goal to begin with. I would like to do more like sky, but unfortunately my goal is to keep below the treeline.

mkingy
Which rolls are you referring to? what would you suggest?
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post April 24th, 2014, 2:59 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
That bit over the station is pretty neat, and I like when people set goals for themselves (like your treeline limit). Just make sure it doesn't crawl into the brakes.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post April 24th, 2014, 3:04 pm
Turbo User avatar

lol it by no means crawls into the brakes, it feels pretty real when I watch and ride it into them :)

Coasterkidmwm wrote:

Post April 24th, 2014, 3:05 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Good! I've always found flying coasters (the vekoma one at least in NL1) to be really hard because the pacing can feel off when it really isn't. Hard sometimes because it's so easy to kill people with the G's.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post April 24th, 2014, 3:54 pm
Turbo User avatar

I hate that haha, you have to be VERY careful with the G's on flyers. That's why they usually go much slower than other rides

Coasterkidmwm wrote:

Post April 25th, 2014, 2:19 am
mkingy User avatar

Turbo wrote:
dapalm
mkingy
Which rolls are you referring to? what would you suggest?

The final two "inversions" before the turn into the brakes. Maybe some perfect twisted floater airtime instead of the second roll, just feels a bit repetitive to me!
Coaster Count - 198

Post April 25th, 2014, 4:02 am

I think the concept is fine, some flyers have those inversion without the turn in the middle. What I'm concerned about is the shaping. The roll seems to be snappier than it should be. Flyers usually have long transitions because they help to create a floating sensation. And it would look better if you made a complete 360 degree roll and then enter in the turn as opposed as you have it now.

Post April 25th, 2014, 5:10 pm
Turbo User avatar

The issue is with the speed of the train. given the goals and constraints of my ride the roll needs to be a bit tighter than on other rides due to the slower nature of the ride. The roll doesn't give much floater but it gives nice G's and a fun twist. Anyway, I have some new pics for you guys!

First off, I felt the part after the cliff drop seemed a bit uneventful to me. So I changed some things "around" lol

I agreed with the repetitiveness of the rolls, and I had thought about changing it before. I got some nice airtime now :)

And now for a little technical update. I was thinking about making 3 friction wheels instead of the 4. what do you guys think?

The ride is staring to come together and before I do supports I need to finalize the terra-height and transitions. idk when the next update will be yet so keep checking in :)

Comments and criticism is always encouraged, please leave a little note :)

Coasterkidmwm wrote:

Post April 25th, 2014, 10:39 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points

Post April 27th, 2014, 5:31 pm
Turbo User avatar

I'm looking for someone who really knows their stuff about B&M flyers to take a look at what I have as far as the track is concerned before I progress to supports. Any volunteers? I want to get this right and I'm used to making IntaminAG rides

Coasterkidmwm wrote:

Post April 27th, 2014, 6:59 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

I know you were asking about trackwork, but for supports, definitely take a look at Tatsu, that ride is a support nightmare because of the hill its on.

Post April 27th, 2014, 7:10 pm
Turbo User avatar

TTD03 wrote:
I know you were asking about trackwork, but for supports, definitely take a look at Tatsu, that ride is a support nightmare because of the hill its on.

I'm not worried about the supports at all actually, I love making supports. As for the trackwork I'd love for someone to just give me advice after I send them the file.

Here's a little update:
I made the roll a bit longer and just better in general. it is taken much slower (which looks a bit better, but still a little slow) and the G's are more in check than ever before! I also smoothed out the half loop and rough parts of the track and raised the above path turn my a meter.

Coasterkidmwm wrote:

Post April 28th, 2014, 3:22 am
mkingy User avatar

Looks great Turbo - that airtime hill gives a nice close call with the break run too!

Out of interest how will the ride flow if you rolled the final roll the other way - it looks a little bit awkward as it pulls into to the turn but going the other way might not flow into it as well...?
Coaster Count - 198

Post April 28th, 2014, 2:00 pm
Turbo User avatar

mkingy wrote:
Looks great Turbo - that airtime hill gives a nice close call with the break run too!

Out of interest how will the ride flow if you rolled the final roll the other way - it looks a little bit awkward as it pulls into to the turn but going the other way might not flow into it as well...?

you know, I've been wondering this myself, but in my mind I don't think it'll have a better effect. I can try it

Coasterkidmwm wrote:

Post April 28th, 2014, 3:08 pm
mkingy User avatar

Just save the park file as a copy so you can easily revert it back!
Coaster Count - 198

Post April 28th, 2014, 6:01 pm
Turbo User avatar

UPDATE April 28

after a while of reshaping I got the twist the way I want it. What do you guys think?

Coasterkidmwm wrote:

Post April 29th, 2014, 12:23 am

Post April 29th, 2014, 1:27 am
mkingy User avatar

Post April 29th, 2014, 7:42 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Post April 29th, 2014, 10:54 am

Points on hand: 287.00 Points
I agree, looks much better. How do you get the test envelope on the train?

Post April 29th, 2014, 1:16 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Its a feature somewhere in the editor, I just can't remember where.

Post April 29th, 2014, 3:59 pm
Turbo User avatar

scenery > Choose > Library > Demo Objects > Clearance Envelope

Place it near the train you want it on

Coasterkidmwm wrote:

Next

Return to Hard Hat Area