Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Six Flags Magic Mountain 2015 - Twisted Colossus

Six Flags Magic Mountain 2015 - Twisted Colossus

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
Coming in 2015! Wood meets steel when the iconic woodie returns as the new Twisted Colossus ?????? the longest, most innovative hybrid coaster in the world. Still in its landmark location along the perimeter of Six Flags Magic Mountain and nestled inside the tracks of the behemoth coaster, Goliath, Twisted Colossus will remain the coaster monument most recognizable to millions of people who pass by the park each year??????but now with an exciting twist.

Integrated into the beautiful crosshatching of white wood will be intertwined track, steep banks and unrelenting rolls and spirals. Revel in the fun and excitement of traditional wooden coaster thrills while facing your fears on the latest state-of-the-art coaster technology. Twisted Colossus will be the best of both worlds, a modern marvel soon to make roller coaster history.

Twisted Colossus, the next generation of the beloved wooden roller coaster that thrilled millions of guests in its 36-year reign at the park, will be a unique technological marvel combining an iconic wooden structure with state-of-the-art Iron Horse Track. The advanced technology, available exclusively at Six Flags, provides ride experiences never before possible on wooden coasters, such as over-banked turns and inversions. Twisted Colossus will feature numerous exciting components including a ??????Top Gun?????? element, the western hemisphere??????s first ??????High Five?????? element, and a Zero G Roll.

With its unique construction, Twisted Colossus will feature:
- "Top Gun Stall" ?????? an inversion where the train slows down upside down
- Western Hemisphere??????s first ??????High Five?????? ?????? where two trains pass through an overbanked turn facing each other with the illusion that you can reach out and ??????high five?????? other riders
- Zero G Roll where track twists 360 degrees
- A staggering 128-foot drop at an amazing 80-degrees
- 18 airtime hills
- Two lift hills
- Four minutes of thrills on nearly 5,000 feet of track ?????? longest hybrid coaster in the world

Twisted Colossus will be the focal point of the newly themed area, Back Alley, where you can expect the unexpected through whimsical experiences in entertainment, food and retail. The original Colossus wooden coaster opened on June 29, 1978 and offered its farewell run on August 17, 2014.

Twisted Colossus ?????? the World's Longest Hybrid Coaster
- Opening Date: Spring 2015
- Height Restriction: Must be at least 48?????? tall
- Location: Twisted Colossus will be the focal point of the newly themed area, Back Alley, where guests can expect the unexpected through whimsical experiences in entertainment, food and retail.
- Manufacturer: Rocky Mountain Construction

Points on hand: 35.00 Points
Bank: 4,336.00 Points
This is just a guess, but I can totally see RMC doing something like this on Twisted Colossus but Non-Inverted and revised a ton:

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 4,689.00 Points
Bank: 1,372.00 Points
If they retrack them as duelling coasters, I could see them making the drop split instead of keeping the together. Like the left side will continue forwards over the lift and will going the other way around the turnaround after the lift, and the other side will continue the way the original colossus went.

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Nah, I'd love to see an 85 degree drop with them together dueling and not split, that would be awesome!

Points on hand: 680.00 Points
Bank: 1,513.00 Points
It's going to be a world first, gatekeeper/ TTD, style drop.
Or at least that's what screamscape says lol.

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Lol I don't trust screamscape much anymore because of some of those ridiculous things they say on there :P

Points on hand: 6,337.00 Points
I will be utterly shocked if it's a dual-track ride. Just don't need that much capacity at a park like SFMM.

Points on hand: 5,149.54 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

TylerE wrote:
I will be utterly shocked if it's a dual-track ride. Just don't need that much capacity at a park like SFMM.

I think they totally need that kind of capacity, that park can get very crowded.

But they have tons of other high-capacity rides already.

Plus, assuming the existing structure is staying more or less intact, you'd need to weave back and forth between the two "lanes" to do much of anything interesting.

Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

in the summer you'll be in line for 3-5+ hours for the high capacity rides and even then Six Flags runs them poorly so that time multiplies
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Exactly, their high capacity rides are terrible because on a ride like Tatsu, they will run 2 trains and only have 1 side open, rather, they could have 3 trains running and both sides open.

But if they aren't going to do it (and history suggests they won't) there's zero reason for them to spend money for capabilities they won't use.

mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points
I think the argument appears to be that Six Flags often don't operate based on logic anyway so...
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

I have a feeling we can expect a Zero-G stall on most every RMC coaster from here on out.

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
Having a 0-g stall on a dueling coaster is a great idea, It'll provide 2 hi five moments(entering the stalls and exiting the stalls) and the stalls themselves... Its like making a great moment turn into 3 great moments in rapid fire.

On another note I think they will keep it dueling, they seem to have put an emphasis on the ride's history this season from what I have seen
What are these for?

I was spot on with my guesses. Zero G stall! Nice to see some new colors.

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
Its not how I imagined it but I like it. Interesting idea though to keep one station and double the ride. Atleast it can stil be considered a Mobius coaster
What are these for?

Points on hand: 6,539.00 Points
To be honest, I'm more than a little disappointed. I was expecting to see something new from RMC, but this is more of the same...obviously they're keen to rely on elements they've already established to be standard for them...zero g rolls and stalls. These two new Six Flags designs are reductive of what has come before.**

** = sarcasm mode enabled

mkingy User avatar

aj74205 wrote:
To be honest, I'm more than a little disappointed. I was expecting to see something new from RMC, but this is more of the same...obviously they're keen to rely on elements they've already established to be standard for them...zero g rolls and stalls. These two new Six Flags designs are reductive of what has come before.**

** = sarcasm mode enabled

Yes agreed - but alongside the metric tonne of airtime I think the 0g rolls and stalls fit the ride perfectly.
Coaster Count - 198

Points on hand: 6,539.00 Points
Yeah I was just funnin'. RMC has yet to disappoint. Outlaw Run was balls out amazing and as much as I hate every other row of New Texas Giant (its Gerstlauer trains have shin-killing rods protruding from the lapbars) it is an amazing ride too.

mkingy User avatar

aj74205 wrote:
Yeah I was just funnin'. RMC has yet to disappoint. Outlaw Run was balls out amazing and as much as I hate every other row of New Texas Giant (its Gerstlauer trains have shin-killing rods protruding from the lapbars) it is an amazing ride too.

Oh my bad my that all went straight over my head despite reading the sarcasm disclaimer!
Coaster Count - 198

Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
So before I say this it looks like it'll be a good ride.

However this is the first RMC besides the one in Mexico that looks like a genuinely good ride was killed off for it. SFM's Medusa looked genuinely good before the transformation and now the ride looks better, but this honestly looks worse than the original. Wicked Cyclone looks decent, but much like Texas Giant and Rattler especially, the original ride was ruined well before RMC got their hands on it and fixed it. Colossus just looked like it was an afterthought thrown in the bottom of the budget. At least they won't need as many park staff to run the ride now I guess.

And I'm still hanging on to my rogue management at SFGAm theory. Not sure what the Hometown and Carousel Plaza refreshments are going to be unless they add obnoxious lights and crap. Still haven't seen another park bother to restore old rides or do what they did with Kiddieland's Little Dipper. I guess they'll get a Star Flyer or a super loop next year to continue the trend.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,552.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

Twisted Colossus looks quite the improvement. I really like it :)
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Next

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!