Board index Roller Coaster Games Hard Hat Area Lawin: Conquer the Dragon

Lawin: Conquer the Dragon

The Hard Hat Area is the place to post construction news about your ride, so this is the place to hype your future upload!

Post March 20th, 2015, 7:13 pm

Points on hand: 9,972.00 Points
Sup :)

Here's my newest project after Trailblazer Park, once again an attempt to design a roller coaster that would fit in my home park Enchanted Kingdom. (It's probably a running joke now, how I always make these coasters and never finish them. :P) Here's a new design though, one which I really, really like: A Mack Launched Coaster!

I plan to theme this ride based on the Filipino legend of Bakunawa. Basically, there was once a time when there were seven moons in the night sky. Enchanted by the beauty of the seven moons, Bakunawa, a massive sea dragon from the underworld, took flight and consumed six of them before Bathala (the Filipino counterpart of God) punished him. He was believed to be the reason for lunar eclipses (people believed Bakunawa was trying to swallow the last remaining moon).

The story of the ride is supposed to be that Bakunawa has returned from his slumber and is trying to consume the moon and all of the stars, threatening to extinguish what little light is left during the night. Now you will have to ride aboard Bathala's guardian hawks ("Hawk" is "Lawin" in Filipino, where the name of the ride comes from) to defeat and drive away Bakunawa. Kinda cheesy I know, but it works right? :P

Anyway, today I finished the trackwork of this ride and am really happy with it. Even if somehow this ride isn't released in the state that I have in my current vision, I will hopefully be able to release the track to you guys. :) But anyway, here are some pics!

^ Overview of the track layout.

^ Double launch! :D

^ Two Zero-G rolls beside each other. Don't worry, they ride quite differently. The first one is kinda like Helix's Zero-G roll, while the second one has a slightly quicker rotation speed (not to mention it's much smaller and provides some powerful negative Gs at the exit).

^ The far end of the track as it twists over and under itself. Kinda like interlocking corkscrews, except they aren't interlocking corkscrews. :P

^ Another picture of the 2nd Zero-G roll. Provides -0.8 G at the exit when sitting in NL2's default seat (front row right) and -1.2 G in the most intense seat (back row left).

^ After the 2nd launch, the ride goes up a tall hill, then drops into this overbank. This is what it would look like when entering the new park area that this ride would be built in!

^ Airtime hill (the 2nd element of the ride that goes over a pathway).

^ And now, an element which would be a world first if this ride were to be built (and also the best part of the ride): The Divebomb Roll (at least that's what I would call it :P). Basically it's TWO Blue Fire barrel rolls back-to-back, shaped in this hill-like fashion. This results in a jaw-dropping 4 SECONDS of unrestrained ejector airtime! Also it's the 3rd element of the ride that goes over a pathway. This is followed by a turn and an ejector airtime hill (which makes the ride go over the pathway for the 4th time) into the brakes.

What do you guys think? Yea or nay? :)
mkingy wrote:
Yoda was famously quoted as saying:

Yoda wrote:
Free the Orcas, you must
Sith will prevail, otherwise

Fluorometholone

Post March 20th, 2015, 7:15 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
I love this layout a lot. I don't really see how your double barrel roll element differs from the typical double zero-g roll, but I like that element a lot too. It all looks great!
1-Millennium Force | 2-Intimidator 305 | 3-Fury 325
4-Skyrush | 5-Iron Rattler | 6-X2 | 7-Kingda Ka
8-Voyage | 9-Maverick | 10-Monster

Post March 20th, 2015, 7:22 pm

^ Thanks :D The Divebomb is less of a double Zero-G roll and more of a double barrel roll in an up-down direction (It doesn't really follow a perfectly 0G parabolic path, though you don't experience positive Gs again until the element's pullout).
mkingy wrote:

Yoda wrote:
Free the Orcas, you must

Fluorometholone

Post March 20th, 2015, 7:38 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
I really love the layout and uniqueness of this! Nice job!

Post March 20th, 2015, 9:59 pm

^ Thanks :D

I swear Helix has the weirdest support structures ever. This is an early version of the support structure for the top hat-airtime hill thing (or at least half of it). Support structure is based on Helix's inverted top hat structure. Does it look alright / If it isn't alright, what can I do to make it look better? (No flanges yet because I don't want to put flanges on the support structure unless it's final.)

mkingy wrote:

Yoda wrote:
Free the Orcas, you must

Fluorometholone

Post March 20th, 2015, 10:02 pm

Points on hand: 5,149.54 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

I wondered why I liked the colors so much, they're a lot like my own Mack Launch! :lol:

This project is looking great, can't wait to see more!

Post March 20th, 2015, 10:37 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
I know they extend the vertical poles up past the diagonals, but lower yours smidgen. They look a tad ridiculous right now.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post March 21st, 2015, 6:08 am

^^ Thanks! Yeah the track color kinda looks like Livewire's hahaha. Just took a look at it, and Livewire looks really good too!

Edited the supports a bit so that they don't stretch that far up now. But I left part of the support structure jutting out to the side just a tad for now (kind of like some of Blue Fire's supports) so that I can add a Cheetah Hunt-like banner in the future when I begin theming this ride.

mkingy wrote:

Yoda wrote:
Free the Orcas, you must

Fluorometholone

Post March 21st, 2015, 9:51 am

Sorry for double posting. Here's one last small update before I go to bed (It's nearly midnight here where I live hahaha). Basically I've finished the support structure for the ride's first element and I think it looks pretty decent. :) The part of the structure going down the hill doesn't look as good as the part going up the hill, but the design's a necessary measure so that the ride passes clearance testing (there's an airtime hill directly below the structure).

Good night!
mkingy wrote:

Yoda wrote:
Free the Orcas, you must

Fluorometholone

Post March 23rd, 2015, 6:02 am

Spent the past couple of days supporting this thing. Next up will be the interesting part of making this ride... Theming. Hopefully I can pull it off well, but I'm kinda nervous as this will be my first time actually theming anything I do.

^ Does this look undersupported? The overbank goes over a pathway, leaving this gap in the middle of the two supports. Is the spacing between the supports alright?

Last edited by AmatsuNL on March 23rd, 2015, 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
mkingy wrote:

Yoda wrote:
Free the Orcas, you must

Fluorometholone

Post March 23rd, 2015, 6:06 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

I think the top hat supports are solid now.
And I like the color change.
The area in question about being undersupported should just have thicker supports, then you are fine.

Post March 23rd, 2015, 6:28 am

Points on hand: 15,383.90 Points
I am kinda curious about how much you plan to theme it since I haven't really seen much scenery in your other rides.

Post March 23rd, 2015, 6:37 am

Thanks guys :)

^^ Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try increasing the support size.
^ I have pretty ambitious plans for the theming but I'm not sure if I'll be able to execute all of them. We'll see though.
mkingy wrote:

Yoda wrote:
Free the Orcas, you must

Fluorometholone

Post March 23rd, 2015, 7:27 am

Points on hand: 5,149.54 Points

I like the colors! (Of course, I liked the old colors too since I've worked with them :lol:) I agree with TTD, the supports should be thicker, which will solve the undersupporting issue. Other than that though, this ride is looking great! Can't wait to see more of this "ambitious" theming you've got in store

Post March 23rd, 2015, 8:00 am
True Addicts
True Addicts

Maybe make your supports a tad bit thicker than what you have right now.

Post March 30th, 2015, 4:26 am

Thanks everyone! I've made some changes and started some theming. (Keep in mind that I'm a GIANT Sketchup novice :P)

^ Added an extra support at the top of this airtime hill.

^ Thickened the supports on the Divebomb Roll.

^ Signage. Portabello is the area of the park next to the coaster. This is where the park's most popular ride (Rio Grande Rapids, a rapids ride) is located.

^ The building of the park's haunted house attraction is repurposed to become a small dining area. Inside, you'll be able to see Lawin zoom past the building!

^ I also increased the support spacing and support size over here. The new park area where Lawin will be located will be called "Nayong Amihan" (In Filipino, "Village of the Cool Breeze").

^ I've also begun modeling Lawin's entrance. The symbols below the ride's name are "Lawin" written in Baybayin, the style of writing used in the Philippines before it was colonized by Spain. (Don't worry, I'll remove the default person model when I'm done with this object :P)
mkingy wrote:

Yoda wrote:
Free the Orcas, you must

Fluorometholone

Post March 30th, 2015, 6:03 am
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points
I really really really like that turnaround.

3DS look alright, especially for a novice - try to work on the ends of the roofs a little.

Notice how the roof has an overhang like yours - but the actual roof isn't the entire of the triangle

Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post March 30th, 2015, 6:09 am

Oh right hahaha, it seems that I missed that detail. Thanks for pointing that out, will go back and fix that! Thanks for the compliment too. :)
mkingy wrote:

Yoda wrote:
Free the Orcas, you must

Fluorometholone

Post March 30th, 2015, 7:20 am
True Addicts
True Addicts

Supports and stuff look much better now.

Post March 30th, 2015, 10:24 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Post March 31st, 2015, 6:48 am

Points on hand: 7,295.00 Points

Post March 31st, 2015, 7:45 am

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
I was so amazed by the deep story of Lawin! Worth reading all through because I actually love Filipino stuff! Oras para lumipad! (Time to fly!) :)
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Post April 1st, 2015, 3:33 am

Thanks for the comments everyone! :D

I've begun theming the inside of the queue building! Here are some images of one of the rooms (although you'll have to download the ride when it's done to see the rest of the queue. :P)

^ Blue wings and green tail spike (Twisted Colossus) + Dark grey body (Wicked Cyclone) = RMC for 2016 confirmed
mkingy wrote:

Yoda wrote:
Free the Orcas, you must

Fluorometholone

Post April 13th, 2015, 8:56 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Post April 19th, 2015, 4:08 am

^ Thanks! :D

New update (sorry it took so long guys, I kinda got lazy over the past few weeks and now I think it's back on track now. :lol:) A couple days ago I started making the station and now I think the station building's about 90% complete. :)

mkingy wrote:

Yoda wrote:
Free the Orcas, you must

Fluorometholone

Next

Return to Hard Hat Area