Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park Trip Reports Adventureland Iowa Trip Report - 8/1/2015

Adventureland Iowa Trip Report - 8/1/2015

Visited a theme park and have a wild time?!? Post your trip report here and tell us all about it!

Post August 2nd, 2015, 11:58 am
VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 10,818.00 Points
Yesterday during my trip to the Des Moines area, I decided to pay my first visit to the local amusement park, Adventureland. It's a small family park located in Altoona, Iowa that has some fun rides, friendly employees, and a nice atmosphere that exceed my expectations.

Adventureland has a nice charm that is hard to find in most parks nowadays. For the most part, the park is clean and good looking despite being a little dated. The Main Street section of the park especially looks nice. The park's employees were very friendly. They always had a good attitude, and they were making an effort to fill all available seats on the rides. It was also nice that food prices here weren't that ridiculous here compared to other places. The rides were a lot of fun, with Tornado and Outlaw being the park's best. Adventureland isn't perfect though. There is a graffiti problem in most of the queues, and the coasters can only run one train at a time, however I very much enjoyed my time here, and I'm looking forward to coming back next summer to ride Monster, the park's new for 2016 Gerstlauer Infinity coaster. I will reserve final judgement until riding, but I think Monster will end up being the park's new best ride. Overall, I think Adventureland is an underrated park that I would recommend visiting if you're ever in the area because there really isn't much else to do in Iowa. ;)

My thoughts on Adventureland's coasters from worst to best:
-Underground: This just barely counts as a coaster in my book since it is more of a dark ride. No real thrilling moments. It does have some okay theming, although the storyline is a bit confusing and hard to understand. More for families than thrill seekers. 3.5/10
-Dragon: It wasn't quite as bad as I'd been led to believe, but it was still a fairly rough ride despite riding defensively. I will give it credit for having some decent forces though. 4.5/10
-Outlaw: This was my first experience with CCI and I walked away satisfied. Nice first drop, fairly intense, very good laterals, and several pops of floater air. A little rough in spots, but nothing bad. 7/10
-Tornado: The biggest surprise of the day, Tornado has tons of floater air in addition to nice positive-Gs and good laterals in the turnaround. It's better than most other out-and-back woodies I've been on, and I'm a little surprised it doesn't get more attention. 7.5/10

Now for the photos:

This is what most of the drive to Adventureland looked like. :roll:
thumb_image_12580.jpg

Arriving at the park.
image_12581.jpg

Adventureland's small entrance.
thumb_image_12582.jpg

The train station at the front of the park. It reminded me a little of Disneyland.
thumb_image_12583.jpg

Main Street area.
thumb_image_12584.jpg

Park map.
thumb_image_12585.jpg

Walking down the street.
thumb_image_12586.jpg

Our first ride of the day was Tornado.
thumb_image_12587.jpg

Pulling out of the station.
thumb_image_12588.jpg

Cornfields and coasters in the same picture. Only in Iowa...
thumb_image_12589.jpg

About to experience some nice airtime.
thumb_image_12590.jpg

Tornado's station has no air gates, the trains still have buzz bars, and it uses skid brakes. Pretty old school.
thumb_image_12591.jpg

Entrance to the park's Outlaw Gulch section.
thumb_image_12592.jpg

Height requirement for Outlaw.
thumb_image_12608.jpg

Noted.
thumb_image_12626.jpg

Pretty good first drop.
thumb_image_12629.jpg

Outlaw train speeding by.
thumb_image_12628.jpg

The last turn before the station.
thumb_image_12625.jpg

Alright, let's get this over with.
thumb_image_12619.jpg

Nerd shot.
thumb_image_12624.jpg

Not horrible, but not very good either.
thumb_image_12621.jpg

Semi-decent loops.
thumb_image_12620.jpg

Took a ride on the Inverter.
thumb_image_12623.jpg

Yep, it was a fun ride.
thumb_image_12630.jpg

The train passing by the Inverter.
thumb_image_12631.jpg

Up next was the Underground.
thumb_image_12641.jpg

About to enter the station.
thumb_image_12639.jpg

Old animatronics.
thumb_image_12640.jpg

Took another lap on Outlaw after getting a bite to eat.
thumb_image_12637.jpg

Dragon and Tornado.
thumb_image_12636.jpg

Dragon in the figure-8.
thumb_image_12633.jpg

One more lap on Tornado before heading out.
thumb_image_12632.jpg

Space Shot. Didn't ride this, but everyone else seemed to like it.
thumb_image_12635.jpg

Adventureland's Log Ride, which will be removed after Labor Day weekend to make way for Monster.
thumb_image_12634.jpg

That's it for my trip report. Thanks for reading!

Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
No pictures of Storm Chaser?
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Points on hand: 4,800.70 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Paradox wrote:
No pictures of Storm Chaser?

I did take these two pictures of Storm Chaster, although neither are very good. I didn't ride it because I had ridden the Windseeker at Kings Island and wasn't really impressed by it.

thumb_image_12671.jpg

thumb_image_12670.jpg

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
Cool report. I'm really excited to ride Outlaw and Tornado, AND MONSTER =D Next year cannot come soon enough!
1-Millennium Force | 2-Intimidator 305 | 3-Fury 325
4-Skyrush | 5-Iron Rattler | 6-X2 | 7-Kingda Ka
8-Voyage | 9-Maverick | 10-Monster

Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
The mini Windseeker is awkward looking as hell lol
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
How were the restraints on the Inverter? The one at Adventuredome uses tight lapbars that are pushed down by another bar to the point where the entire ride is painful and when you are being hanged upside down it hurts a lot.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Paradox wrote:
How were the restraints on the Inverter? The one at Adventuredome uses tight lapbars that are pushed down by another bar to the point where the entire ride is painful and when you are being hanged upside down it hurts a lot.

Submission was the same at Alton Towers before its timely removal. Completely ruins the ride.

Good trip report though - looks like Monster will be a really good addition to the park!
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
Dragon actually looks cool among standard steel looping coasters. :)
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Paradox wrote:

Inverter's restraints were a little tight, but not what I would consider painful.

Points on hand: 1,589.00 Points
Bank: 1,000.00 Points
Adventureland being my home park (yet still 2 hours away), I've been there quite a few times. Tornado really is a fantastic out-and-back woodie that is often overlooked. It's not very rough and is just always a fun ride. Dragon wouldn't be so bad if not for the horrible design of the seats. They used hard plastic "padding" that actually sticks out into your head, and it's awful. Outlaw is a great coaster of which I don't understand why so many people dislike it.

VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

^
That's odd, I thought most people liked Outlaw. I liked it a lot myself. It is a little rough and it isn't anything mind-blowing, but it was still a great wooden coaster.

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
My wish is... hopefully the GPs don't mistake this Outlaw for SDC's Outlaw "Run". ;)
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Points on hand: 1,589.00 Points
Bank: 1,000.00 Points
VF15 wrote:
^
That's odd, I thought most people liked Outlaw. I liked it a lot myself. It is a little rough and it isn't anything mind-blowing, but it was still a great wooden coaster.

Most people I've talked to seem to dislike it because it "hurts," though I disagree. They're also from Nebraska so they don't know what real coaster pain feels like (The Boss at Six Flags St. Louis).

lol240 wrote:
My wish is... hopefully the GPs don't mistake this Outlaw for SDC's Outlaw "Run". ;)

It'd probably happen pretty easily, though Adventureland's Outlaw has been around since something like 1993. If I recall correctly, it was CCI's first or second coaster.

Return to Theme Park Trip Reports