Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park Meets Alton Towers Meet-Up: SW8 opening! #BeChosen

Alton Towers Meet-Up: SW8 opening! #BeChosen

Planning a theme park visit? Post it here to organize a theme park meet with other members of the site. You can't go wrong with taking another enthusiast with you!

Post September 26th, 2017, 10:32 am

Points on hand: 490.00 Points

COASTERCRAZY.COM ALTON TOWERS SW8 OPENING MEET
March 24 - 25 , 2018
Based on usual standards for Alton's season it's looking like the date will be Saturday 24th March, though that is subject to change pending ATRs 2018 season dates.

SIGN-UP OPEN

Hello!

Welcome to the official CoasterCrazy Alton Towers SW8 Opening trip! This mini meet-up is meant for people to attend Alton Towers on opening day to ride their brand new roller coaster codenamed SW8. On the second day we may go to Thorpe Park however that is still undecided and will be decided upon pretty much day of.

While we cannot promise anything we will always try to obtain exclusive perks for those who join our trips and we will constantly keep you updated as to what is in store! This first post will be updated progressively as we get closer to the trip and will be finalized far before the time to purchase cheap airline tickets.

Now the choice is yours members of CoasterCrazy! Will you join us for one park or both of them?

For planning purposes we have a facebook group set up as well as this topic, ask us for more details!

Please find below updated opening hours and important information regarding perks at certain parks!

----------------------------------------

Meeting times and places on the day, as well as perk arrangements will be confirmed at a later date

We are not responsible for transport, hotels, flights, food and such for the meet,
that will be your own responsibility to arrange. We also cannot take
responsibility for anyone under the age of 18 for travel etc.

GREEN name means you
are going on all days

BLUE name means you
are possibly showing up

----------------------------------------
March 24
Alton Towers
Park Link

Hotel Recommendation:-

Admission Cost Per Day (ONLINE):-
Child: £27.50
Adult: £32.00

Alton Towers Opening Times:-
10:00 - 17:00 Subject to confirmation
Attendee List (12)
Turbo - Seth
Metazoanhaddock - Dan
Gouldy - Dan
mkingy - Matt
DanSm1l3r - Dan
. Virtual Towers Online
djd711 - Dave . Virtual Towers Online
isn2011 - Jordan . Virtual Towers Online
albo85 - Alberto
Calebgill2004
herman116 - Herman
JAMMY - James
Skyscraper - Matthew
Last edited by DanSm1l3r on October 21st, 2017, 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post September 26th, 2017, 10:42 am

Points on hand: 0.00 Points
Bank: 6,230.00 Points
If i can go, I'd love to!
(I signed up for updates on the SW8 website, which means i could be one of the first riders- don't think I'll win, though)
Please put me down as "possible".

Post September 27th, 2017, 3:03 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 717.00 Points
Bank: 22,000.00 Points

Post September 28th, 2017, 8:44 pm
Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 3,201.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

Yeah I'm going.
Coaster Count: 382 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Wildfire

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post September 30th, 2017, 2:43 am

Post September 30th, 2017, 11:26 pm
Metazoanhaddock User avatar

Points on hand: 538.00 Points
Bank: 52,337.00 Points
3 dans huh?

this should be fun......
Head Moderator
Director, Structural Engineer - PEAK Amusements
Site Contest Judge (Supporting)
Chatroom Admin

gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 717.00 Points
Bank: 22,000.00 Points

I've been called Gould my entire life by basically everyone I know, so you and Dan can fight between yourselves as to who actually gets to be called Dan :lol:

Apparently the park were giving out half price vouchers for the 2018 season at the turnstiles today, and the terms state that the vouchers are "valid between 17/03/18 and 21/05/18", which implies that the park will open on Saturday 17th March 2017.

I got one of these vouchers myself, I can confirm that's the case, plus I have it on very good word that SW8 is 100% on track for a 'start of season' opening, even got lucky enough to walk through the site (in a way) on Saturday night after the show! Obviously season's over now but I already can't wait for next March!

Post November 16th, 2017, 11:13 am

Points on hand: 303.00 Points
Ill be going on the opening day, so far its a definite so put me down as going ''if i can go your choice'' but i'm only going to Alton Towers not Thorpe, if i don't show up it means I've died

Points on hand: 303.00 Points

herman116 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,821.00 Points
Maybe I will also come since it's been a couple of years since my last visit to Alton Towers. I'm just still not sure how to get there. Are there other people who are also planning to come here from outside of the UK? And how are you guys going to the park?

What the plan is so far (we'll be sorting the specifics out closer to the time) is that Seth and Meta will be either staying with me at my place (I live only 25 mins from Towers) or, and this is my preferred tactic, we'll be booking one of the Enchanted Village lodges, since they're amongst the cheapest accommodation on resort, they're really lovely, and my Merlin Annual Pass will get us a discount on it. Should anyone else from outside the UK also want to book on-resort accommodation just hit me up and I can try help catch a discount for you as well.

mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 26,785.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
herman116 wrote:
Maybe I will also come since it's been a couple of years since my last visit to Alton Towers. I'm just still not sure how to get there. Are there other people who are also planning to come here from outside of the UK? And how are you guys going to the park?

I'll have a spare seat in my car to ferry you around - depends on where you'd be flying into as to the best way to get to Birmingham however. I *might* have a spare bed too but we're planning to move house before then so I have no idea what might be around the corner. I'll still be in Birmingham though. Drop me a pm/facebook message and can work out the best way to get over if you're interested!
Coaster Count - 128

herman116 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Thanks for the offers!

I'm still not sure whether I will come by boat and my own car or by plane. I also want to go Thorpe park the second day. Are many of you going to that park? Or is it better to come by boat and my own car so it will be easier for my to travel to Thorpe park?

mkingy User avatar

Again I plan to drive to Thorpe Park for the second day and you'd be more than welcome - however having your own car obviousely gives you more freedom.
Coaster Count - 128

herman116 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Thanks for the offer! It would be nice if I could sleep at you're house but maybe it's better to just book an enchanted village lodge so I know for sure I have a place to sleep. ;) I see that there's a really cheap flight going for me to Manchester airport which seems to be in the right direction so I'll probably do that.

herman116 wrote:
Thanks for the offer! It would be nice if I could sleep at you're house but maybe it's better to just book an enchanted village lodge so I know for sure I have a place to sleep. ;) I see that there's a really cheap flight going for me to Manchester airport which seems to be in the right direction so I'll probably do that.

How will you get from the Airport to the Park? According to Google Maps it's just over an hour by car/taxi, but Google Maps can't calculate a public transport route :? .

herman116 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

I also see that now... According to Alton Towers it should be possible to go there by public transport:

The three closest train stations are Stoke-on-Trent, Uttoxeter and Derby. A bus service will need to be used for the rest of the journey.

mkingy User avatar

herman116 wrote:

Having spoken with the other half we're definitely looking at somewhere with a spare bedroom anyway so I'm pretty sure we can accommodate you!

Manchester isn't too far from Alton / Birmingham. Alton is possible to get public transport to, but not advisable if possible - (I know Dan usually get's a taxi from Stoke). To be honest the UK is generally rubbish for public transport. Thinking about it Blackpool is only 1hr away from Manchester so I might take Friday off and make a long coaster weekend of it! Depends on what time your flights would be due to land :)
Coaster Count - 128

It's probably worth mentioning here as it has been in the FB chat we're using to organise the event, it seems we may be pushing back this meetup by a week, so we can get Thorpe Park's opening weekend in as well. That being said, anyone nearby or planning to go to SW8's opening day anyway is more than welcome to join us on the 17th as it is. On top of that, pushing the meet back can act as a fail-safe should SW8 not open on the first day of the season.

herman116 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

mkingy wrote:
herman116 wrote:

Having spoken with the other half we're definitely looking at somewhere with a spare bedroom anyway so I'm pretty sure we can accommodate you!

Manchester isn't too far from Alton / Birmingham. Alton is possible to get public transport to, but not advisable if possible - (I know Dan usually get's a taxi from Stoke). To be honest the UK is generally rubbish for public transport. Thinking about it Blackpool is only 1hr away from Manchester so I might take Friday off and make a long coaster weekend of it! Depends on what time your flights would be due to land :)

Thanks for the offer! :)

If I choose the flight from the airport which is pretty near to me, I will arrive to late for a day at blackpool. However, I can go to an airport in Belgium which would take me some extra time to drive to and get a flight which departs but then I will arrive at 7.25 on the friday. Too bad the departure from Manchester of this flight will be at 7.50 so it might be difficult to go to the airport so early in the morning.

Return to Theme Park Meets