Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Alton Towers - Thirteen

Alton Towers - Thirteen

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post March 22nd, 2010, 9:04 pm

Points on hand: 2,736.00 Points
In respect to the theming of the ride, it's utter poop. It can be compared to Fulch, it's the same thing. It's full theming in one portion of the ride, incomplete in some, in this case for Th13teen, the drop. It's pretty much a garage in which when the door shuts the effects turn on. LAME.

Post March 23rd, 2010, 6:58 am
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
Originally posted by A113

In respect to the theming of the ride, it's utter poop. It can be compared to Fulch, it's the same thing. It's full theming in one portion of the ride, incomplete in some, in this case for Th13teen, the drop. It's pretty much a garage in which when the door shuts the effects turn on. LAME.

Actually, fluch von novgorod is a pretty kickass ride. The theming just makes it even better.
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post March 23rd, 2010, 2:08 pm

Points on hand: 5,761.00 Points

Originally posted by A113

3 words mate
ITS NOT FINNISHED

im shure it will just imnprove as the year goes on and not only that but this is a 2 year project, it wont be 100% untill the 2011 season
Making screams come true

Post March 23rd, 2010, 8:45 pm

Points on hand: 2,593.00 Points
Then again mate, the trackwork is finished, and from what i have heard and just from seeing certain videos, it looks like a fail.
I was speaking to gouldy before and both decided that John Wardley has in fact failed to deliver this time. Which is such a shame. The new gloomy wood theme is absolutely fantastic in comparison to the UgLand theme in my opinion though, just what the park needed. RITA re-theme is really nice as well.
Just need something to happen in X-Sector now, and Alton will be once again my best park in the country. Because at the moment for certain reasons i would much rather go to Thorpe Park for the day. Especially with last seasons addition of Saw, and generally the amount of awesome rides in the park, (which were running perfectly today).
I want to see Alton break the boundries again like they did with Nemesis, but it doesnt look like its going to happen again any time soon. Such a shame.

Post March 23rd, 2010, 9:02 pm
slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,728.00 Points
The sad thing is this could have been so much better executed. Rather than having the drop track attached to those giant pillars, they could have it attached to separate, vertical tracks which would allow it to go into actual free fall. I would have also liked to see some of those quick transitions which has become pretty much one of Intamin's defining elements.

Edit: Woah, I just got the Pixar reference in your username, A113!
Boulder Dash was the only good roller coaster.

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

Post March 23rd, 2010, 10:21 pm

Points on hand: 3,043.00 Points

Post March 23rd, 2010, 10:29 pm
slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,728.00 Points
Which part are you "really"ing?
Boulder Dash was the only good roller coaster.

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

Post March 23rd, 2010, 11:35 pm

Points on hand: 5,889.00 Points
Originally posted by slosprint

What?
American Eagle Lover

Post March 23rd, 2010, 11:36 pm

Points on hand: 3,043.00 Points

Post March 24th, 2010, 12:45 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
I don't get it.

And it looks like a nice family ride.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post March 24th, 2010, 7:08 am

Points on hand: 2,593.00 Points

Post March 24th, 2010, 1:48 pm

Points on hand: 155.00 Points
Originally posted by slosprint

The sad thing is this could have been so much better executed. Rather than having the drop track attached to those giant pillars, they could have it attached to separate, vertical tracks which would allow it to go into actual free fall. I would have also liked to see some of those quick transitions which has become pretty much one of Intamin's defining elements.

more of a cal-arts ref - it crops up in the simpsons a few times as well. Although he could be referencing pixar.

Post March 24th, 2010, 1:54 pm

you want to know that one thing that very much excites me about th13teen and they better exicute it right, halloween. it is either going to be amazing around that area or it will suck.
Making screams come true

Post March 24th, 2010, 2:39 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,828.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Went again today, and rode 13 again obviously.

I went into it with a completely open mind once again, just tried to forget what I thought about it on Sunday and tried to see if I could pick out the good stuff. I also did something today we didn't do the other day, and that was to ride it up the front. The actual rollercoaster part of the ride (the bit before the drop track) seemed a bit better up front than at the back, riding up front suits this layout more. That said, it was still a bit rubbish [lol]

I realised today though how good that backwards helix actually is, don't get me wrong it's nothing particularly great but it is a laugh because of the undulating banking. Still well under powered though.

My overall conclusions are that it is a decent family coaster but then the theme of it negates the "family" element. I'm not saying that I hate the coaster or anything, but there isn't a coaster at Alton Towers I would rate lower than Th13teen.

As a side note for Mikey: It was raining today, full on, not just "greasy" in the air and yet the tyre lifts worked perfectly. There was more noise with the rain, but it wasn't actually a squeeling sound and neither was it very loud, you could only hear it from the train. It sounded like... hmmm, you know if you step in something sticky? and then you walk on a tiled floor? Yeah, that sound.

Post March 24th, 2010, 3:23 pm

im going friday ill do the same gouldy and ill have to give it a try at the front
Making screams come true

Post March 24th, 2010, 6:21 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Be warned that the first drop was even worse in the front car than it was in the back. Remember the "it seems to get held back by the tyres" effect? Yeah, it's worse in the front car [lol]

Post March 24th, 2010, 6:46 pm

i have also learnt that jhon will be in site on friday, ill look out for him and see if i can ask him a question or 2 on coaster crazy's behalf
Making screams come true

Post March 26th, 2010, 5:30 pm

Alton Towers have informed guests via the official website that Th13teen is currently experiencing technical problems. They advise that, whilst they are doing everything in their power to insure it is open as soon as possible, if you are visiting specifically to ride on the new attraction, that you consider an alternative visit date. The present downtime follows a successful opening few days for the ride, when it actually operated better than original estimates suggested.

It is not uncommon for new rides to suffer from downtime. Indeed, Saw - The Ride, which opened at Thorpe Park in 2009, had a lot of problems following its opening which resulted in massively reduced capacities and days of unavailability. Similar problems were had with the likes of Stealth, Mumbo Jumbo, Rita and Air - all of which have opened in the UK over the past decade.

happy now mikey
Making screams come true

Post March 26th, 2010, 5:38 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post March 26th, 2010, 5:41 pm

Points on hand: 5,394.00 Points
Bank: 1,660.00 Points
Expedition Everest > Thirteen

Oh, were you expecting something here?

Post March 26th, 2010, 6:09 pm

Points on hand: 77.00 Points
Actually this is a real fail. They could have turned it into a great family ride but the stinkin' theming pretty much scares the kids who will actually enjoy the ride. I mean, this is an intamin mine train which is no scarier than Expedition Everest, but they make false advertising techniques and theming to scare the little kids. Lack of brains.

Post March 26th, 2010, 6:18 pm
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,049.50 Points

Pfft,

Well of course it has technical difficulties, that's why they pay the consultants like me the big bucks. [lol] Let's just hope Murphy's ghost is more forgiving to Alton Towers then it was to Six Flags. If not then it could be years before they get that POS fixed.

Post March 26th, 2010, 6:37 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

I'm seeing a few people comparing the ride to Expedition Everest, even though obviously everyone is saying that the ride is not as good as EE, it's surely a compliment to the ride that it's even comparable to a ride that cost 6 times as much. But seriously, I don't think it would ever have been expected to even come close to a ride like EE.

Post March 26th, 2010, 6:53 pm

Points on hand: 5,394.00 Points
Bank: 1,660.00 Points
Originally posted by gouldy

I'm seeing a few people comparing the ride to Expedition Everest, even though obviously everyone is saying that the ride is not as good as EE, it's surely a compliment to the ride that it's even comparable to a ride that cost 6 times as much. But seriously, I don't think it would ever have been expected to even come close to a ride like EE.

EE and Thirteen are actually very comparable because of what they are: family mine ride, themed, reverse section with helix. What makes EE better in my opinion is how it's presented. EE performs its reverse section in between its forward parts. Also, the reverse parts are executed nearly flawless compared to the prone-to-mechanical-break-downs "drop section" of Thirteen (which seems to also stick out like a sore thumb. Honestly, it's like a garage). Last of all is the overall feel for the ride. EE promotes itself as fun for everyone, and I'm certain almost anyone who has been on EE thought it was fun. Thirteen was promoted for mature audiences only even though it's far from being a thrill ride.
Oh, were you expecting something here?

Post March 26th, 2010, 7:54 pm
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,049.50 Points

I disagree, However both rides have something in common. They don't work.

The Yetti and "13"

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!