Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Anyone notice Nitro @ SFGAdv is running AWESOMELY recently??

Anyone notice Nitro @ SFGAdv is running AWESOMELY recently??

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Points on hand: 2,475.00 Points
The title is pretty self-explanatory... SF Great Adventure is my home park, but I haven't been this season until this month a whole bunch of times. I've probably been on more circuits on Nitro than any other ride in the park; it's not typically my favorite but has an incredibly high throughput and of course Six Flags allows rerides on quiet days. I was pretty proud of myself for keeping track up to close to 200 circuits, but that was only after a few seasons so who knows how many times I've been on Nitro as its 15th birthday approaches...

The only reason I point out how many damn times I've been on the thing is to say I am very, very, almost intimately familiar with this particular coaster... probably about as familiar as almost any other ride I've been on. I do NOT consider myself a B&M fanboy whatsoever, and in fact I tend to fall into the camp that feels that most (not all) B&M rides produced after about 2000 are pretty tame and boring. That's really another discussion, though, and it's almost a moot point as I have always enjoyed Nitro [2001] quite a bit; it was once pretty high on my personal ranking and still only falls a bit outside my own top ten.

Anywhoooo... the real point of this thread is to say that IMO Nitro has been running in.sane.ly, particularly recently and particularly once it warms up for the day and particularly in the back. I've been on it about a dozen times in past couple of days alone and even more in the past few weeks and every time the experience was the same-- perfect floater air over the crests of the "big" air hills with an extra little pull in the back; excellently crushing positives in the pre-MCBR helix; and some SERIOUS air over the last few hills, almost ejector in the back.

I was just wondering if anyone else has managed to get on Nitro within the past six weeks or so and noticed that it was running any differently from usual, or otherwise seemed particularly enjoyable if you were a new rider. Otherwise, I can only recommend that anyone planning a trip to Great Adventure in the near future be sure to hop on Nitro in row 8 or 9 :-D

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
Honestly, I think it was running better earlier in the season than it has been now.
I last there on July 8th and I am going again tomorrow, I'll let you know what I think.
Also, the A and B trains on Nitro are a lot better than the C train in my opinion. The C train is very rattly like and I don't like it at all. I avoid it if I can.

Like I said I didn't get there in the beginning of the season so I can't speak to that, but it definitely seems a marked improvement over other years. Agreed on the C train... I managed not to get on it at all during my last two visits.

I will probably be back again a few times within the next couple of weeks, so I will continue with my experimenting. I also have no clue if it's running better in the front. I was so pleased with my rides towards the back that I didn't sit forward of row seven the entire two visits; I saw no reason to mess with the good rides I was consistently getting.

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
I remember riding it on opening day in the front row as my last ride for the night.
Felt like Millennium Force for a lot of it.
Now it doesn't feel like it so much anymore, but that could also be due to the fact that it was 40 degrees that night in April and 80 degrees at night now :P

Honestly it seems like a lot of the rides have either gotten a little TLC and bolt-tightening or are otherwise just having good seasons. Bizarro is always fine and fun but was also running particularly well this week, it seemed. Batman, too, was absolutely blazing around the course... my feet haven't felt so tingly after an invert in a long while. If any of the rides were running a little below average for my tastes it would have been ET, which was lacking a bit of bite compared to its usual experience.

On a non coaster note, have you been on Houdini lately? I haven't been on it in about six years and caught a quick spin on Friday and it also seemed to be a bit amped up. I don't recall the forces being as pronounced in the past and it definitely helped to make the illusion feel a bit more believable.

Return to General Theme Park Discussions