Board index Roller Coaster Games No Limits Coaster elementary

elementary

Discuss anything involving No Limits Coaster Simulation.

Post June 11th, 2006, 4:30 pm

Points on hand: 4,230.00 Points
how do i use elementary? any starter tips? where can i find equations and how do i use them? thanks!

Post June 11th, 2006, 4:38 pm

Points on hand: 1,843.00 Points

You can get the H:SAK here, which is one of the most versatile formulas for elementary. http://www.nolimitsdevcenter.net/pageid-5.html

Post June 11th, 2006, 4:45 pm

Points on hand: 4,152.00 Points

Redunzelier also has some good formulas, but I think his site is down at the moment...

Post June 13th, 2006, 10:10 pm

Points on hand: 4,230.00 Points
that's great and all, but what do i do with them? how do i use them?

Post June 13th, 2006, 10:13 pm

Points on hand: 1,171.00 Points

It's just kinda something you have to play around with for awhile to figure out, there aren't really any tutorials for the HSAK or purg that I know of. You'll get the hang of it after awhile.

Post June 13th, 2006, 10:20 pm

Points on hand: 1,469.00 Points
Im pretty sure there are several tutorials for the Hsak

Post June 14th, 2006, 10:29 pm

Points on hand: 5,694.00 Points
I wish Tyler had finished his tutorial. It really helped me figure things out a bit, but I can't figure out how to make a flowing ride, and all I can do is make crappy bendy track pieces that don't work too great. SFMM Homie, do you know of any tutorials that go further than a pre-lift turn and a lift? (Or anyone else for that matter.)

Post June 15th, 2006, 12:36 am
Brtnboarder495 Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,362.00 Points

Post June 15th, 2006, 1:48 am

Points on hand: 5,694.00 Points
Isn't it completely different to build a coaster mathematically, and to build it by hand and then heartline it?

Post June 15th, 2006, 3:42 pm

Points on hand: 3,012.00 Points
Originally posted by Gotenks06

Isn't it completely different to build a coaster mathematically, and to build it by hand and then heartline it?
Actually not at all different, IMHO.

After all, you got the idea(s) of how your track should ride and look. For any particular desired ride-effect, there will be a certain shape to provide it. I personally don't consider it important whether that shape was carefully handcrafted or tediously made up with formulas. Both the handmade, as well as the calculated, in case to be heartlined later, both will have to provide the highest-quality path-input for the AHG anyway.

Now you could think that calculating a track should automaticaly give best smoothness and great elements, even something like a "coasteresque" appearance. Bummer! In fact it does just not. The level of mathemathical complexity required to model real-life track shapes usually by far exceeds what current NL-tools and E-formulas can provide (the publically available ones, at least...). Hence many "mathed" tracks out there do have this "stitchy" appearance, lacking the overall flow and missing fluent transitions. There are situations where careful handcrafting could do the better job, and faster.

So I'd say, the greatest challenge for you will be to transform your genuine ideas and feelings about a design into "working" track shapes, these resembling just what you want your riders to experience. By whatever way *you* will want to achieve that. And neither tools, nor craftsmanship will compensate for any lack of creativity or sensuality. So the "difference" between hand-building and mathing is just ony tiny variation within a way larger design process, and in the end it should not matter at all how it had been done in detail, but instead, how well each one utilized his very own talents.

just my two blue dots...

redunzelizer

Post June 16th, 2006, 12:02 am
Brtnboarder495 Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,362.00 Points

Post June 20th, 2006, 12:36 pm

Points on hand: 2,579.00 Points

I downloaded the H-SAK formula, and I always make a helix. How is that versatile?

Post June 20th, 2006, 12:37 pm

Points on hand: 3,780.00 Points

Post June 20th, 2006, 12:42 pm

Originally posted by Hepta

I downloaded the H-SAK formula, and I always make a helix. How is that versatile?
Because you don't know how to use it properly. Once you understand it fully, you can make loops, corkscrews, immelmanns/dive loops, hills, and loads more. You can't say that a formula that has the capability to create an entire munti-looping coaster isn't versatile.

Post June 20th, 2006, 12:51 pm

Points on hand: 4,378.00 Points

okay for insance, lets say you want to make a loop, you would make a 360 helix, and then you would rotate it, so the loop is up right. then you'd ahg it and bam, you have your loop.

lets say you want to make a parabola, youd create a small helix, around 60 degree turn, then turn it, then you'd make the parabola part, then youd make the exit of it.

Post June 20th, 2006, 1:09 pm

Points on hand: 2,579.00 Points

I didn't understand how it was versatile but now I see.

Yeah Wing-Over, I know I don't know how to use it properly, I just strated Elemntary today. Anyways. I think I'm starting to catch on. I'm making an invert, and I have the station, first little turn, the lift, the predrop, and the brake. And I made it all in elemntary, so thats a plus for me, but I'm stuck on how to make a drop now.

Edit: I'm getting there. I used the HSAK, and it gave me the right look, but it started at the bottom.

Post June 20th, 2006, 1:15 pm

One tip for that, use the bmdrop variable. It creates a vertical radius at the end of the drop, which often creates a much better flow into the next element. PM me if you need any more help.

Post June 20th, 2006, 1:23 pm

Points on hand: 4,152.00 Points

Then you have to adjust your loop for the tilt of the bottom... Which sucks.

Return to No Limits Coaster