Board index Roller Coaster Games Hard Hat Area Maple Grove Wildcat

Maple Grove Wildcat

The Hard Hat Area is the place to post construction news about your ride, so this is the place to hype your future upload!

Post December 21st, 2005, 1:08 am

Points on hand: 2,319.00 Points
PICS: http://nldc.interfix.net/p1363

The PTC Wildcat model was a series of designs done by Herbert Schemeck in the 1920's. While the individual designs were all unique, there were several common elements. All of the rides were double out and backs, usually in a figure 8 layout.

The Wildcat rides were hybrid designs, combining the airtime of an out and back with the banked curves and "action" of a twister.

The Wildcats were all very intense rides, as they were designed to be the main attraction at midsized parks. This also means that they were designed to be fairly cheap (Meaning: SHORT!) and compact layouts. Another common design element was a long tunneled prelift section that either wraps around or cuts across the rest of the layout.

None of the Wildcat rides remain today. The last one to operate was the Idora Wildcat which closed after a fire in 1984. There are some related rides still operating though. The Wildcat at Lake Compounce still operates, although it is not a true Wildcat, due to the much more subdued nature of the layout. The Grizzly at King's Dominion was patterened after the Coney Island (Ohio) Wildcat, but also was tamed down a bit. An argument could be made that the old Elitch Garden's "Mr. Twister" was a sort of "Super Wildcat" as it shared many of the design traits. While that ride no longer operates either, it lives on as Twister II and Knoebel's Twister.

My particular design is NOT a recreation of any particular Wildcat design, but more of a design study using that style. I'm putting a lot of custom work into this one. Look for lots of custom 3DS, as well as custom supporting. All crossovers were hand supported, as is all lateral bracing (which as of this writing is not finished).

Stats:

Trains: 2 x 5 cars, 2 bench PTC
Lift Height: 98ft
Total Height: 112ft
Length: 2986ft
Ride Time (Chain Release to Brakes): 42 seconds
Top Speed: 53mph
Vertical G-Force: +4.1 to -1.1
Lateral Forces: Up to 1.7
Maximum Banking: 47 degrees

Post December 21st, 2005, 1:17 am

Points on hand: 2,897.00 Points

wow that looks great and those supports rock nice work

Post December 21st, 2005, 1:45 am

Points on hand: 5,801.00 Points

It looks pretty fun and wild.

This might be a personal opinion, but in my honest opinion that tunnel looks really out of place. I think it would look alot better as just a covered/roofed section...but thats just my opinion..

And how come the supports look like mud?

Post December 21st, 2005, 1:55 am

Points on hand: 1,469.00 Points

Post December 21st, 2005, 2:25 am

The extended tunneled prelift section was used on almost all of the wildcats. Longs prelift tunnels were VERY common on older woodies.

That's one of the PTC wildats. Notice the tunnel leaving the station, going all the way back, then turning again under the brakerun to setup the lift.

Post December 21st, 2005, 2:50 am

Points on hand: 5,801.00 Points

But yours being almost pure black, it just doesn't look right.

Post December 21st, 2005, 2:59 am

Unfortunatly it's impossible to texture the sides and roof independently.

Post December 21st, 2005, 2:59 am

Points on hand: 1,469.00 Points
Originally posted by Thorazine

The extended tunneled prelift section was used on almost all of the wildcats. Longs prelift tunnels were VERY common on older woodies.

Still doesent make it look good [;)]

Post December 21st, 2005, 9:10 am

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

Thor -- working on feedback for ya right now. Sorry for the delay bud.

However, I must say that based on your hill design, man, this has this coaster's name written all over it (Wolverine Wildcat):

Post December 21st, 2005, 10:29 am

WW is actual a clone of Knoebel's Phoenix with the layout changed.

Post December 21st, 2005, 11:45 am

Points on hand: 4,152.00 Points

I have one suggestion to make to you that I forgot to tell you. You might want to raise the land under the station so it doesn't look like the station is 50 feet in the air.

Post December 21st, 2005, 12:13 pm

It isn't. The brakerun is, but the station is only 20ft or so. Not sure if you saw the version with terrain or not.

Post December 21st, 2005, 12:25 pm

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
Looks cool, but as with all your classic style rides, I'd definately say that you should reduce the leadin and leadouts of the inflection points in your hills. Your transitions on hills are too smooth...I've ridden several old woodies including Wild One which is from 1917, and I can tell you that most of the transitions from pullout to pullover on hills are very small. I can't expect you to fix that on this ride because trackwork looks finished, but maybe for a future ride. I think that's one of the (relatively few) things you're missing that would really make your ride feel like an old classic style coaster.

Post December 21st, 2005, 12:27 pm

Points on hand: 872.00 Points
The one thorazine showed is the one I'm recreating, its hard,but if have the plan.

BTw. your ride looks great.

Post December 21st, 2005, 1:09 pm

One thing I'm trying to capture with this ride is what it felt like to ride a classic wooden ride during the years when these rides were rapidly disapearing. I've done quite a bit of work on modeling and texturing for this ride to get a proper "neglected" feel for the ride.

Post December 21st, 2005, 1:22 pm

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

Originally posted by Thorazine

I've done quite a bit of work on modeling and texturing for this ride to get a proper "neglected" feel for the ride.

Looks good, until the n00bs rate it as you not knowing what you were doing and forgetting to put footers in. Image

Post December 21st, 2005, 1:41 pm

The footers are there, just can't see 'em from this angle. Oh, TCon, check your mail in about 30 secs...and get on AIM :P

Return to Hard Hat Area