Board index Roller Coaster Games Hard Hat Area [NL2] Overdrive - First Project Thread

[NL2] Overdrive - First Project Thread

The Hard Hat Area is the place to post construction news about your ride, so this is the place to hype your future upload!

Post August 3rd, 2018, 9:54 am

Points on hand: 2,449.00 Points
Hey all!

After plenty of lurking, I've finally created an account and become a member! To celebrate, I present to you the layout of my first NL2 project, Overdrive! I'm using this project as a learning experience, so please feel free to provide any useful tips/critique you may have.

Post August 12th, 2018, 3:03 pm
herman116 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 7,471.00 Points
It's hard to review a ride without riding it but this ride doesn't look that bad. Maybe it's a bit stretched out but then again, maybe it's just that the speed of this coaster is really fast.

Post August 14th, 2018, 7:00 pm

Points on hand: 757.00 Points
Honestly the colors are really cool, looks like a good ride too

Post August 15th, 2018, 1:46 am
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,048.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Yes to the multicoloured trains - reminds me of RCT!

Does maybe look a little stretched but mostly good - especially for a first project! Do you have experience with any other theme park games?
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post August 15th, 2018, 12:42 pm

Thank you! The top speed is 80 miles per hour so that's probably why it seems stretched out. I used to play RCT3 but I never really tried to create a full project until I started playing Planet Coaster. I also have some pictures of the progress I have made in Sketchup so far:
If you wanna see how I got here, I've got some older pictures at https://imgur.com/a/FIKuLB9

Post August 16th, 2018, 11:54 am
herman116 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 7,471.00 Points
That's looking great! This will probably be a great first project! :)

Post August 27th, 2018, 11:18 am

I'm back! Sorry for not providing an update in a while, I haven't had WiFi for the past few days, but it's all good now, and the good news is that I managed to get in a significant amount of progress! I made an album specifically for this update (https://imgur.com/a/urfcVlq), I didn't want to flood this post with a ton of pictures.
Also, if I want to add lights to my model (in a similar way to the lights in this video https://youtu.be/fLEqctNzmk0), would there be a way to do this in SketchUp, or is this something that's done in NoLimits?

Post August 28th, 2018, 5:54 am
mkingy User avatar

Lights are certainly done in Nolimits.

Also I'd recommend whilst you are at this stage starting to think about how you divide this model up so you aren't importing a single, huge, model - this will have huge implications for performance. Good read: https://www.jackjkelly.com/tutorials/no ... imisation/
Coaster Count - 198

Post August 28th, 2018, 7:40 am

Thanks for the advice. I like the article, but what modeling software would you recommend aside from Sketchup? The article says not to use it, but doesn't provide any kind of recommendation.

Post August 28th, 2018, 8:26 am
mkingy User avatar

Sketch up isn't quite as bad as the article makes out in my opinion - if you don't have time to learn new software then it's good enough for a coaster with scenery - perhaps less so for a full park. The reason I linked it despite this is for the information around splitting objects and occlusion :)

That said - the other free software to use is Blender: https://www.blender.org/features/modeling/ It has a steeper learning curve than sketch up but naturally that comes with greater flexibility and power once you have the know how.
Coaster Count - 198

Post September 3rd, 2018, 2:47 pm

Just a quick status update, I'm currently just separating the model into smaller chunks so i can just piece the final product together instead of having one piece of scenery. But in other news, I have uploaded a POV of the coaster in its current stage. A majority of the basic structure is done, so I figured I'd upload a POV to highlight interaction with the scenery. Check it out below:

Post September 4th, 2018, 5:45 am
mkingy User avatar

Awesome - I really like the shaping you've achieved with this - it feels really natural.

The pacing does seem to lag towards the end but with the fully fledged scenery this might be alleviated.
Coaster Count - 198

Post September 4th, 2018, 8:46 am

Yeah, the end's pacing has been a glaring issue to me. The plan is to add some Tron-style lighting to all the tunnels and trenches, so hopefully that'll add to the sense of speed that's being lost.

Return to Hard Hat Area