Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions FOREST FLYER - Jonny Richey's backyard coaster

FOREST FLYER - Jonny Richey's backyard coaster

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Points on hand: 5,889.00 Points
So, after one year of construction, my backyard coaster is finally complete! This is the video of the first successful manned test run:

EDIT: youtube finally cooperated:

Last edited by Jonny Richey on May 9th, 2011, 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
American Eagle Lover

Post May 9th, 2011, 7:29 pm

Points on hand: 235.00 Points

Post May 9th, 2011, 8:07 pm
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,049.50 Points

We can't see it due to privacy settings.. upload that bitch to youtube.

Post May 9th, 2011, 8:59 pm

Points on hand: 96.00 Points
took you a year to make that?
"An artist can paint a picture on a canvas, but a musician can paint a picture on silence."

Post May 9th, 2011, 9:05 pm

Points on hand: 483.00 Points
Bank: 19,590.00 Points

Post May 9th, 2011, 9:08 pm

^actually, those rails are for the upstops. The friction wheels are in the normal spot for a wood coaster.
American Eagle Lover

Post May 9th, 2011, 9:14 pm

Points on hand: 1,085.00 Points

Post May 9th, 2011, 9:37 pm

Points on hand: 85.00 Points
Bank: 2,503.00 Points
Wow, that really does fly through a forest...

[:)]

Hey, at least your double-dip gives you airtime, unlike the other backyard coasters which are usually just over-glorified sledding hills for the summer-time.

Post May 9th, 2011, 10:39 pm

Points on hand: 1,286.00 Points

Post May 9th, 2011, 11:28 pm
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 44.00 Points
Bank: 4,333.00 Points
Originally posted by AJClarke0912

.....just over-glorified sledding hills for the summer-time.

Sorry but I have to agree with this part of your post.

I dont consider this a coaster. This is more of a wagon-slide combination. When I see something the likes of "Blue 2" and the other coaster that guy made.

Post May 9th, 2011, 11:40 pm

Points on hand: 2,652.00 Points
Bank: 2,739.00 Points

Yeah, this is just a slight step above the "Butterfly" coasters in eastern europe, which I don't even classify as coasters, just like I view Superman EFK as an over-sized thrill ride, not really a coaster. I was kind-of half expecting some half-assed version of Tiger Terror.
"if you found your laughin' place, how come you ain't laughin'."https://www.facebook.com/calicoaster1/

Post May 9th, 2011, 11:52 pm

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

That took a year? You could build all those bents in one day lol.

Post May 10th, 2011, 12:48 am
thrillsentertainment Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Points on hand: 1,028.00 Points
I'd plate the wooden rail with some sheet metal. It'd get rid of that annoying sound and make it run smoother. Overall pretty cool though!

Post May 10th, 2011, 1:34 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,723.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Originally posted by thrillsentertainment

I'd plate the wooden rail with some sheet metal. It'd get rid of that annoying sound

I don't think that adding some sheet steel to the track would get rid of his voice...?

Post May 10th, 2011, 1:42 am

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
I say that's not easy and I say good job.

Not like he's a coaster designer with infinite resources...chillax guys lol, he just did something cool and wanted to share. And he's not talking about American Eagle...also a positive lol.

Post May 10th, 2011, 2:09 am

Points on hand: 2,849.00 Points
I actually really like that little drop. It's pretty steep. Now that you know the design works, you should make it longer. Add a turn?

Post May 10th, 2011, 5:03 am
GavG Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 973.00 Points
Bank: 950.00 Points
While I agree with DCS that this is cool, I was expecting more than you have.

I think you have a good starting point to try an improve the layout and add a few turns and an air hill perhaps.

Post May 10th, 2011, 8:17 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,723.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

I wish I had a decent sized back garden/yard - as I have access to fabrication equipment and bending/forming presses, easy access to a supply of steel and the equipment to handle it all. A huge list of suppliers (that my company has an account with) of all kinds of equipment like electo magnetic motors, hydraulic motors, roller coaster lift grade chain, bearings etc. I have powerful design software and the ability to use it to design a fully fledged coaster. I have access to and full use of fairly large transportation that would allow me to transport pre-fabricated sections up to 4m long and 2m wide.

It genuinely wouldn't cost me all that much to set out on a steel backyard coaster project if I had a decent sized garden to fit something in. Something like a drop, hill, 180 degree turn, hill, 180 degree turn back in to the base of the lift.

The only real problems would be planning permission, as the local council would be all over me about it [lol] I think I'll stick to just making models for now though...

Post May 10th, 2011, 8:27 am

Points on hand: 1,303.00 Points
Originally posted by dcs221

Not like he's a coaster designer with infinite resources...chillax guys lol, he just did something cool and wanted to share. And he's not talking about American Eagle...also a positive lol.

I couldn't see the video, because I'm at work, but I agree with the above post. The people bitching about this guy's work are likely the same people who have mastered no-limits, but wouldn't get off their ass to do the grunt work, REAL measuring, and other fabrication that goes into actually building a back yard coaster. I'll try to remember to check out the vid when I get home.

Post May 10th, 2011, 11:45 am

Points on hand: 50.00 Points
Well that looks fun... for about 2 secomds.
[19:47:28] rcking04: /smoke bong through wrong end

Post May 10th, 2011, 5:00 pm

Originally posted by ProZach626

Originally posted by dcs221

I couldn't see the video, because I'm at work, but I agree with the above post. The people bitching about this guy's work are likely the same people who have mastered no-limits, but wouldn't get off their ass to do the grunt work, REAL measuring, and other fabrication that goes into actually building a back yard coaster. I'll try to remember to check out the vid when I get home.

THANK YOU. I didn't even realize what an experience it would be to build a backyard roller coaster.... Yes, I did put the bents up in one day. What took me a year was the testing, getting the track and car right, parts breaking, repairing them, making improvements, and figuring out a braking system.

I do hope to make it longer in the future, but there's no point in that until the first two drops work. lol
American Eagle Lover

Post May 10th, 2011, 5:09 pm
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 44.00 Points
Bank: 4,333.00 Points
Dont get me wrong, I'll give you an A for effort. Although I think it could have been better. Your yard seems to be just too small for something like this. Also, I hope you got a permit to make that otherwise your local government might force you to take it down.

Post May 10th, 2011, 5:19 pm

It's classified as a play structure, and therefore doesn't require a permit.
American Eagle Lover

Return to General Theme Park Discussions