Board index Public Relations Contests No Limits Bonus Challenge

No Limits Bonus Challenge

Only official CoasterCrazy.com Contests are posted here.

Post May 18th, 2013, 4:33 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
Since the No Limits Contest was not popular enough to need a second round, I had an unused template laying around. So instead of using it for a contest, I increased the difficulty of the template and let you guys loose on it.

Ok, so everybody is pretty thrilled about GateKeeper at Cedar Point. The stats are pretty impressive as well. But what if Cedar Point wasn't satisfied with the initial design and wanted something that was faster, longer and better? Would they give B&M a second chance or immediately go to Intamin with the job?

In other words, you are challenged to build a coaster on GateKeeper's footprint, but than faster and with more inversions.

The Rules:
Coaster must be either B&M or Intamin, this means the track type should be one of the following:

Twisted Steel Coaster
Inverted Coaster (4-seat)
Floorless Twisted Steel Coaster
Stand-Up Twisted Steel Coaster
Hyper Coaster (4-seat)

Hyper Coaster (2-seat)
Inverted Impulse Coaster

Track cannot go outside template lines.
All lift and/or launch segments must be in the top-right corner of the template ('north' of pink line).
No trims allowed. One MCBR is allowed, but it must not brake the train during normal operations.
No track may go below 12m in the lightblue area.
Track must enter red X-marked area at least once.

Must have at least 8 inversions.

Train must have a top speed of at least 130 kph.

Must run 3 trains with a minimum of 7 cars each.

I case I forgot something or if anything is unclear, please feel free to comment. Except if you are complaining that this challenge is too hard. It is a challenge, it is supposed to be hard. Deal with it.

Template can be found here: http://www.coastercrazy.com/track_exchange/detail/19657
Last edited by hyyyper on May 18th, 2013, 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post May 18th, 2013, 5:20 pm

Points on hand: 1,233.00 Points
I looked at it, I feel the footprint hugs Gatekeepers layout too close. Its not like they had exactly that amount of room to build in, I'm sure they could've used some of the parking lot by the drop, or some area next to the air hill, corkscrew/0-g, and overbank/dive loop. I'd take google maps and expand the template a little bit so we're building on the land they had available for this coaster, and not just Gatekeepers layout.
Don't underestimate the power of Knex

Post May 18th, 2013, 6:26 pm

Points on hand: 92.00 Points
Bank: 1,341.05 Points
Deadline?

Number of trains/cars?

Roll cutoff for inversions?

Edit: I'm blind.

Edit 2: Isn't 130 kph just a wee bit fast for a looping coaster? That's approximately 80 mph. I know it has to be faster than Gate Keeper, but that only tops out at 67 mph (108 kph). Seems like we could still make it faster without going too fast.
Originally posted by GerstlCrazy
Cool! The name is Fly Over Rainforest?
I was under the impression the name was Green Coaster Goes Fast Goes High Has Clockwise Loop Has Straight Upside Down Four Seats Two On Each Side Fast Coaster?

Post May 18th, 2013, 7:04 pm

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
theoretically its cedar point, they've broken the speed record with 4 or 5 different coasters, I am sure they would not consider it too fast
What are these for?

Post May 18th, 2013, 8:38 pm

Points on hand: 2,153.00 Points
what if we build a hyper 2 seat/b&m does it have to have inversions or can i build it without them but make it orignal as to where it would break some record.?

Post May 18th, 2013, 9:30 pm

Points on hand: 15,350.90 Points
That thread I started a while back and then basically ignored, the Intamin impulse called Dynamo, I think I shall use that coaster for this template, but modify the layout to fit within it, but not now. I don't feel like making 2 consecutive coasters of the same manufacturer.

Post May 18th, 2013, 11:31 pm

Points on hand: 1,101.00 Points
Must have inversions... so I guess the B&M Hyper is out?
Plot Twist: I'm still alive

Post May 18th, 2013, 11:36 pm

Can objects/station building go outside the constraints?
I was under the impression the name was Green Coaster Goes Fast Goes High Has Clockwise Loop Has Straight Upside Down Four Seats Two On Each Side Fast Coaster?

Post May 19th, 2013, 1:53 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Originally posted by Knexrule11

blablabla

The original template I wanted to use for round 2 was bigger. But since it had to be converted to a challenge, I significantly reduced the size to increase the difficulty.

Originally posted by NightwindElf

Deadline?

Number of trains/cars?

Roll cutoff for inversions?

Edit: I'm blind.

Edit 2: Isn't 130 kph just a wee bit fast for a looping coaster? That's approximately 80 mph. I know it has to be faster than Gate Keeper, but that only tops out at 67 mph (108 kph). Seems like we could still make it faster without going too fast.

There is no deadline. No ratings and no winner. This is purely a challenge. See if you can complete a coaster under these restrictions.

As for inversions, be your own judge. I think you all know enough about coasters to determine the difference between an overbank and an inversion.

The speed is also a rule that came with the new rules to increase the difficulty of this template. Unrealistic or not, it's in the rules now, deal with it. [:)]

Originally posted by highthrills2

what if we build a hyper 2 seat/b&m does it have to have inversions or can i build it without them but make it orignal as to where it would break some record.?

Originally posted by KrazyKoasterKid

Must have inversions... so I guess the B&M Hyper is out?

Who says hyper-coasters cannot have inversions?

Originally posted by NightwindElf

Can objects/station building go outside the constraints?

Yup, template are purely boundaries for actual TRACK, anything else can go outside.

Post May 24th, 2013, 10:05 pm

Points on hand: 9,972.00 Points
Can we pretend that we're using a different track style unavailable in NL? (Intamin Wing Coaster, like Skyrush?)
mkingy wrote:
Yoda was famously quoted as saying:

Yoda wrote:
Free the Orcas, you must
Sith will prevail, otherwise

Fluorometholone

Post May 27th, 2013, 2:00 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Post June 3rd, 2013, 1:06 am

Points on hand: 551.00 Points
Made a roller coaster with 8 inversions and fitting inside the space with FVD++. The last loop is kind of lame but there wasn't too much space...

Top view:
http://imageshack.us/a/img15/2658/hypertop.png

Side view:
http://imageshack.us/a/img163/8620/hyperside.png

Post June 4th, 2013, 4:58 pm

Points on hand: 562.00 Points
Would a complete stop brake followed by a launch (in the designated area, of course) be considered a MCBR?

Post June 4th, 2013, 6:05 pm

Points on hand: 15,350.90 Points
I think I'm going to finish the rest of mine after my next "real" project (a flying Dutchman).

Post June 5th, 2013, 1:06 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Originally posted by GigaG

Would a complete stop brake followed by a launch (in the designated area, of course) be considered a MCBR?

Depends, if you are using only that launch and you want the brake run to simulate realistic operations or to create an extra block section, then yes. If you already have a launch or lift and you want to launch people a second time, then no.

Post June 5th, 2013, 8:25 am

I'm wondering if he means something similar to Mummy's MCBR. The one in Orlando, anyway.

Post November 4th, 2013, 1:30 pm

Points on hand: 57.00 Points
How do I upload my ride for this challenge? Sorry I'm new.

Post November 4th, 2013, 2:31 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Same as any other coaster, just upload it to the exchange and post a link to it in this topic to show off your work.

Return to Contests