Board index Roller Coaster Games NoLimits Coaster 2 3D Modeling

3D Modeling

All discussion relation to NoLimits Coaster 2 should be posted here. Purchase NoLimits Coaster from this page: nolimits-coaster-2-purchase-and-upgrade-links-t32524.html

Post September 27th, 2015, 2:59 am
Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

Where should I begin learning? What program would be best for optimization of objects to reduce lag?
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post September 27th, 2015, 4:30 am

Points on hand: 764.00 Points
If you just want something simple .. sketchup (free).
If you want to dive deep into modeling with texturing and animation .. blender (free).
If you have a lot of money to waste and want it as a industrial standard: Maya or 3dsMax.

All programs are the same if it comes to optimization. It??s the artist which have to think about how much polygons he will spend on details. Don??t use double sided faces, if it isn??t neccassary. Build your complex model with something in mind: much details should be seperated in groups to clip them away in NL2.

Also: Blender, Maya and 3dsMax are having "poly-reducer" modifier/tools. So you can copy your model 3 times (as example) and let the programm reducing your polycount in different stages. Endresult is called: LOD (Level Of Detail).

High resolution Textures are great.. but .. also not the best for the performance. If you??re using UV maps, it??s possible to use them in a intelligent way. If you work with something like tilable, seamless textures (and maybe sketchup), try to keep them small as possible!!! Depends on the detail which is shown and how big the area is. Use always (!!!) the power of 2 (2x2, 4x4,.... 256x256, 512x512, 1024x1024) for the proportions! There are only a few matters why there is a need for more than a 1024x1024 pixel format in a NoLimits park.

If you plan something big with a lot of details and such things... try to plan from the beginning. It??s like a drawing... you start with a sketch ... layering the colors ... setting final highlites.

At least: Begin simple. Small and easy. Don??t give up!

GOOD LUCK! =)

Post September 27th, 2015, 12:04 pm

Points on hand: 342.00 Points
If you are a student, all Autodesk programs are FREE including Maya, 3DSMAX and MUDBOX! There is almost no verification process as they allow High School students to use their software for free, too. I was a college student years ago. ;)

Post September 27th, 2015, 1:42 pm
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,048.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
I echo Magu's thoughts.

Remember to split up larger objects into smaller objects (far better to have several objects that might not all need to be rendered than one huge model where everything always has to be rendered)
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post September 27th, 2015, 3:20 pm
Turbo User avatar

I have a little blender experience so I might stick with that. I just have no idea how to start.
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post September 27th, 2015, 3:46 pm
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,048.00 Points
Build a basic station (something simple like Rita @ Alton Towers / stealth @ Thorpe) - you can use supports to figure out all the dimensions. It's all about practicing in reality.
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post September 27th, 2015, 4:13 pm
Blase Rhine User avatar

Points on hand: 30,499.00 Points

The way I got into modeling was by taking a class back my sophomore/junior year in high school. We primarily used Sketchup. So I usually use sketchup, however I can and sometimes use Blender and I recently downloaded Maya which I am learning.

As for teaching yourself I would recommend watching some tutorials (don't watch the really long ones where you begin to lose interest) just some that are short, sweet, and to the point.

Going along with what Mkingy said, be sure to start small... the first model I made was a cup. You can then move into larger and more complex models as your knowledge of the program grows.

Remember modeling is trial and error. Be patient!

Hope this helps! :)
Sometimes I dream of unicorns and oreos

Post September 29th, 2015, 2:47 pm
Turbo User avatar

anyone want to send me on a crash course through blender? lol

Coasterkidmwm wrote:

Return to NoLimits Coaster 2