Board index Roller Coaster Games Hard Hat Area Nighthawk: a RU150 Project || VIDEO RELEASED

Nighthawk: a RU150 Project || VIDEO RELEASED

The Hard Hat Area is the place to post construction news about your ride, so this is the place to hype your future upload!

Post October 8th, 2016, 11:53 pm

Points on hand: 1,319.00 Points
Last edited by JetstreamCoasters on December 21st, 2016, 7:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Points on hand: 7,716.00 Points

mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Immediately make me think of stormrunner... not a bad thing!
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
Best with the rainbow lights up like Monster! 8-)
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Nighthawk's Layout Revealed

Well, here it is folks, the final layout for my Roundup 150 Project. I'm going to spam this page with images, and then I'll leave some commentary down below. (Note the colors are not final, this is just a "leaked" version of the layout (i.e the Valravn leak lol)

Designer's Notes:

Nighthawk was primarily inspired by StormRunner, Xcelerator, and Stealth. This coaster was never intended to be a lengthy coaster; it was designed to be a short but high-speed ride that got progressively more intense as the ride went on. Its elements are a blend of many coasters styles, from Expedition GeForce to Nefeskesen, and so are the support styles, but I think as an overall package it works really well.

The climax or high point of Nighthawk is the second to last element, which I like to call... *cue Six Flags announcer voice* the World's First REVERSE Step-Under Flip!!!1!!1!. But seriously though, this ride was inspired by a recent trip to Six Flags Discover Kingdom, when I looked at the Joker's first element and said to myself, what would happen if Intamin had that idea first, and did it backwards? As a fun side note, I stole a little bit of the idea from Fury 325's turnaround, and the element actually looks like an ampersand (&) from certain angles, as seen in the third to last picture at the bottom.

Anyways, if you got this far in the post, you're awesome. Comments are always appreciated!

-JetstreamCoasters

Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

I really like this! Are there any "slow" parts to the layout or is it all consistent?
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points

^Thanks man!

Turbo wrote:
I really like this! Are there any "slow" parts to the layout or is it all consistent?

Kinda... I'd consider the overbank over the station to be a slower moment of the coaster, because it rides almost identical to the overbanks on Xcelerator, which I didn't find to be very thrilling.

But I wasn't too worried about including a break in the layout because Stormrunner is only a little bit shorter and definitely does not have any kind of slow sections!

Turbo User avatar

Gotcha, that should be fine :) If you're going for realism the supports seem a little thick in certain areas.
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

^^ You're giving us this "funtastic" layout! :D

Decided to do one last teaser before I start with construction updates. Yes, those are the actual track colors, and yes, those are actual lights attached to the front of the train. The "hood" of the train was designed to resemble an F-117 Nighthawk (where this coaster got it's name), and I'm well underway with a full stealth/aviation theme for the coaster, which I will begin to show soon. As always, I'd love to hear your feedback!

Turbo User avatar

My jaw would have dropped if I wasn't so tired!

Coasterkidmwm wrote:

Points on hand: 0.00 Points
Bank: 15,228.00 Points

mkingy User avatar

Love the lighting arrangment - its going to look dead cool in the dark!
Coaster Count - 198

We're so proud of you! :D

Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Trains look neat. Are those lights or a reflection?
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Yep, those are lights! 14 of them, to be exact, attached to the hood which is attached to the train. Took forever to line them up right haha, but I think it was worth it ;)

XLR8R User avatar
CoasterCrazy Media
CoasterCrazy Media

Points on hand: 3,273.01 Points
I appreciate your inclusion of the banana roll.
Storm Chaser | Intimidator 305 | Lightning Run | Twisted Colossus | Maverick | El Toro | Millennium Force | Xcelerator | El Loco | Magnum XL-200
Coaster Count: 154 - Last Credit: Ragin' Cajun (Six Flags America)

^ Yeah, I agree with you, because Banana Roll seems to be a "powerful" Cobra Roll! :D

Construction Update!

This project isn't dead! Far from it, actually... Sorry for the lack of updates!

This is the most complex station I've ever made for a NL project, and I think it's worth it. It was surprisingly tricky to get realistic entrance and exit paths for a double station though.

I tackled the lighting options with this station, and made some pretty decent florescent-style lights. I also figured out the keyframe animation, so yes, those fans do spin.

Nighthawk's ride sign. Simple, but effective I think.

Part of Nighthawk's queue. More lights and ride storage lockers.

Across the way from Nighthawk is Vertigo (pardon the cliche name). It's the default Frisbee ride that's been recolored.

A shot of vertigo and Nighthawk as they are currently.

Speaking of flat rides, substantial progress has been made on Ripcord, my 200ft Intamin drop tower. (thanks to Joshua Velez for the amazing ride!)

But of course, Nighthawk couldn't be all by itself! Behind Vertigo, across from Nighthawk, I've included an Arrow suspended coaster named Ace. And that's all I'll say about it for now ;)

Final Notes:
At this point, about 95% of the physical modeling is done. I'm going to work this weekend on texturing and adding smaller details, and should be on schedule to start filming early next week, which should give me at least two week to make a video. As always, I'm more than happy to hear your feedback! Let me know if you have an criticisms, suggestions or otherwise!

mkingy User avatar

Really looks well put together - I imagine this might already be part of your final 5% of modelling but don't forget the benches, bins and other park furniture :)
Coaster Count - 198

herman116 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 7,471.00 Points
Wow, the whole area is already looking pretty great!

Turbo User avatar

I really like this!

Coasterkidmwm wrote:

Well, here it is guys, my final entry for Roundup 150, which ended up taking 6th place! I had a ton of fun making this project, and as soon as I do some optimizations I'll be releasing it here on the site.

Click the link below to watch the video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szZsY_oW4oY&t=14s

Return to Hard Hat Area