Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Space World Japan to Close After 2017

Space World Japan to Close After 2017

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post December 16th, 2016, 5:10 pm
Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
Well according to this source it looks like Space World Japan, home to Titan Max (Arrow Hyper), Zaturn (Stealth Clone), and Venus (Maurer Looper) will close after 2017 due to financial and management issues.

Translated from source:

Space world in Kitakyushu, closed reasons for management difficulties, the end of 2017

The theme park "Space World" located in Higashida district of Yahata Higashi-ku, Kitakyushu city, was closed on the end of December 2017, it was learned at the interview of the West Japan newspaper on the 16th. Management difficulty seems to be the reason. The garden announces it on the homepage even the same afternoon. It opened in 1990 to the idle land of Nippon Steel Yawata Ironworks (now ?? Nippon Steel Sumikin Yahata Ironworks) and was one of the theme parks representing Kyushu, the curtain closes for more than a quarter century from the start of business It will be.

Half of all regular employees who had over 100 people
With a total area of ??????240 thousand square meters Yahoo! Ou Dome (Fukuoka city) Three or more zoo gardens will spend about 30 billion yen, opening as a leisure facility on the theme of the universe on April 22, 1990. Large attractions called "space science learning facilities" and "screaming machines" gained popularity, and in 1997 at the peak time, the number of visitors of 2.16 million people per year was recorded. An adult ceremony in Kitakyushu City was also held since 1998.

After that, due to intensified competition with other theme parks, customers gradually passed away, and Nippon Steel of the parent company applied for application of the civil rehabilitation law in May 2005. In July of that year, we transferred the business to Kamiomori tourism (Sapporo city), and the company has continued to operate.

In the spring of 2008, Kamori tourism lowers annual free pass of 10 4700 yen for adults by 5,000 yen or more. In order to drastically improve the profit structure, we cut all regular employees who were over 100 people in half. We have been preparing a series of nearly 2 billion yen over the winter ice rink and pool in the summer to improve the ability to attract customers. The number of visitors in fiscal year 12 was approximately 1.64 million. In recent years the number of visitors has not been disclosed.

In November this year, criticism such as "cruel" etc on the Internet plans to skate the skate link which made 5,000 fish and the like ice picked up to visitors was stopped one after another.

The company says "I would like to refrain from answering now".

Here's some POV's:

The park's really cool log flume:

Indoor coaster:

Venus:

Titan:

Zaturn:

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Post December 16th, 2016, 5:25 pm
Xenon User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 375.00 Points
Bank: 431.00 Points
I don't care if Space World was not the greatest park, it's still quite disappointing to see it go.

R.I.P. Space World
1990-2017
hyyyper wrote:
Turbo wrote:
WCD-Ltd wrote:
Some of the complaining people lived up to 200 Km away
That's a joke right? What complaint could they have possibly given?

They should only be allowed to complain about the coaster being built too far away from them.

Post December 16th, 2016, 5:33 pm

Points on hand: 5,955.00 Points
That actually really sucks, I hope some of their stuff gets relocated. But I feel like if the park closes, that hyper is going down with it. RIP

Honestly though, is this because of the f*cking fish? They were all dead to begin with.
Ok but how desperate you have to be to voluntarily fly from another country to go to Thorpe?

Post December 16th, 2016, 6:33 pm

Points on hand: 6,337.00 Points
The real loss is Venus.

The other rides are either trash (the hyper) or clones.

But Venus... that was the last Schwarzkopf design.

Post December 16th, 2016, 6:57 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Yeah pretty much. Perhaps it can be relocated, although it might end up as spare parts for whatever Andalushia Railroad is called now in Russia.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post December 16th, 2016, 8:38 pm

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
^^^ That Hyper is sort of like, I guess, Desperado so I don't think that will be scrapped. I am more than sad to imagine the fate of a Maurer's "Venus" Looping.

IMO, other tracks have to be saved as well! :sad:
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Post December 16th, 2016, 8:49 pm

Points on hand: 6,337.00 Points
lol240 wrote:
^^^ That Hyper is sort of like, I guess, Desperado so I don't think that will be scrapped. I am more than sad to imagine the fate of a Maurer's "Venus" Looping.

IMO, other tracks have to be saved as well! :sad:

.I'd say the hyper (which isn't really a hyper, it's only like 172ft) is more like Pepsi Max minus the bit that actually makes Pepsi Max only 90% poop - the first drop.

Post December 16th, 2016, 11:37 pm

Points on hand: 204.00 Points
Bank: 3,034.00 Points
Olmisery wrote:
That actually really sucks, I hope some of their stuff gets relocated. But I feel like if the park closes, that hyper is going down with it. RIP

Honestly though, is this because of the f*cking fish? They were all dead to begin with.

It's not just fish. It was more like:

Parent Company: "So you're Early 2000's Six Flagging it down the toilet, and your idea to save yourselves was to choreograph market seafood half frozen in an ice rink? How much did that cost? You're all F*** fired. We didn't even want this park anyway." *goes back to making ski resort and hotel money.

I mean clearly as a parent company you need to drop that right off the bat. That potato just went green star hot if you are a publicly traded company and don't give a crap about rides as business model why WOULD you go through the trouble of root canaling out all the stupid to retrain and bring new competent fresh new management to slow drown on an expensive sinking ship.

Oone of two things I would HOPE (please god let this happen), is that someone picks up on the premade park and fixes it with new branding like an rct2 scenario

Or, everything but coathanger Pepsi Big One gets relocated. Too many parks need those rides and they don't come up used too often. Prolly China or Vietnam will go for them

Post December 17th, 2016, 12:42 am
True Addicts
True Addicts

I have a hypothesis (supported by no data) that a management shift happened somewhere and that killed the park, or it was a businessy "increase shareholder value" thing.

The park clearly survived the worst of the economic downturn that cock-punched tourism in lots of places, and the park used to have the clout to attract Nintendo. If the economy killed the park, it would have gone under a few years ago. The goddamned N64 was announced there along with many other significant Gamecube-related things. It's just bizarre because the place has never appeared to be in decline. Yes it rarely added major attractions, but did it need to?

That being said hopefully the Maurer/Schwarzkopf/whatever else (seriously like 5 companies worked on that ride) gets relocated just on general principle. I could see Zaturn appearing somewhere else since it'll share parts with many other rides and not be that risky of an investment despite being an Intamin.

Post December 17th, 2016, 9:04 am
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
Wow, sucks that its closing down. Back in 2012 I missed out several rides due being too windy. (Zaturn and Titan)

Personally I hope someone is willing to buy the park and re-open it. There were plenty of cool rides around the entire park, all space themed. (Six Flags could learn from this :lol: ) Else I'd really hope that the major rides are being relocated to different parks. I enjoyed Venus a lot! Nice and powerful ride. :)
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post December 20th, 2016, 7:38 am

Also remember that Venus is in fact, one of the highest g-force coasters in Japan now. :)

Post February 16th, 2017, 5:32 pm
Paradox User avatar

Looks like two of the coasters could be relocated. Zaturn and Venus are both on Interlink now which confirms that this is the end for Titan MAX.

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

Post February 17th, 2017, 6:49 am

Points on hand: 2,777.00 Points
Bank: 122.00 Points

Post February 17th, 2017, 9:18 am
True Addicts
True Addicts

This is going to be interesting since both rides are plausible additions elsewhere. Venus may have problems when they consider a lack of parts, but the Intamin definitely has enough similar rides floating around and a small enough footprint to work somewhere.

Post February 17th, 2017, 1:43 pm
Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

Zaturn is an easy sell. Venus is a bit harder.
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post February 18th, 2017, 3:51 am
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,048.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
I suppose manufacture of parts wouldn't be a huge problem as Maurer still exist as a steelwork fabricator - they just don't design coasters anymore from what I remember.
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post February 18th, 2017, 5:24 am

Points on hand: 7,716.00 Points
mkingy wrote:
I suppose manufacture of parts wouldn't be a huge problem as Maurer still exist as a steelwork fabricator - they just don't design coasters anymore from what I remember.

It was just a rumor, they are still able to design coasters, they just don't have any orders yet. ;)

Anyway, I'd love to see the Maurer Coaster from Space World relocated, it looks like a very forceful coaster without headbanging. :D

Post February 19th, 2017, 1:02 am

Titan Max should be saved! Hmm I rather hope to see all coasters there relocated! :)

Post February 19th, 2017, 3:11 pm

Points on hand: 5,657.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
mkingy wrote:

They're building new coasters for 2017! :D :D You scared me at first haha I love Maurer rides.
[19:34:14] RideWarriorNation: jim
[19:34:27] RideWarriorNation: can you pls change sig
[19:35:22] Jcoasters: ok
[19:35:39] RideWarriorNation: ty

Post February 19th, 2017, 3:12 pm
Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

They announced that they were going to stop a few years ago Jcoasters. I honestly don't know why they would and they still build rides so I don't know what to believe anymore lol
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post March 11th, 2017, 10:12 am
Paradox User avatar

These came up on Fabbri rides. Looks like the park is trying to relocate Titan MAX and Black Hole Scramble as well.

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

Post March 11th, 2017, 5:16 pm

Points on hand: 5,955.00 Points
Yeah, I highly doubt this won't be the end of the line for Titan MAX.
Ok but how desperate you have to be to voluntarily fly from another country to go to Thorpe?

Post March 11th, 2017, 6:07 pm

Points on hand: 9,972.00 Points
Really hope Venus GP (general public) in particular gets purchased!
mkingy wrote:
Yoda was famously quoted as saying:

Yoda wrote:
Free the Orcas, you must
Sith will prevail, otherwise

Fluorometholone

Post December 31st, 2017, 10:35 am
Paradox User avatar

Today is the last day of operation for Space World and after 27 years it will close.

Big crowds rolled in today as guests apparently waited from 4 AM to enter the park.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

Post January 1st, 2018, 5:51 pm

^ Coasters including small ones looked so fun... what a sad year!!! :cry:

Next

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!