Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Accident At Phantasialand

Accident At Phantasialand

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post March 14th, 2017, 11:17 am
Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

It is with a heavy heart that I have to make a post about a fatal incident that has occurred a theme park in Germany. Phantasialands Winjas was being worked on by a maintenance member who was then struck and killed by the elevator lift that the cars use to begin their journey through the ride. Park safety officials did everything they could to save the workers life but unfortunately were unsuccessful.

Winjas is a 14 year old roller coaster that has had a very successful history of safe operations and bringing smiles to riders who have ridden it. As I am sure we are all suspecting an investigation will more than like be underway soon if not already as to the nature of the fatal incident. The worker was 58 at the time of death.

www.bild.de wrote:
Phantasialand-Mitarbeiter (58) t??dlich verungl??ckt

Br??hl ??? Schrecklicher Unfall im Phantasialand!
Wie die Polizei best??tigte, soll ein Mitarbeiter (58) am Dienstag kurz nach 10 Uhr auf dem Gel??nde des beliebten Vergn??gungsparks nahe K??ln t??dlich verungl??ckt sein.

Vor Ort ermitteln das Amt f??r Arbeitsschutz und die Beamten des Kriminalkommissariats 11.

Die Polizei wird weitere Einzelheiten im Laufe des Tages bekannt geben.

http://www.bild.de/regional/koeln/phantasialand/toedlicher-unfall-im-phantasialand-50839394.bild.html

Phantasialand employee (58) were fatally injured

Br??hl - Terrible accident in Phantasialand!
According to the police, an employee (58) was reportedly killed on Tuesday at 10 am on the grounds of the popular amusement park near Cologne.

On the spot, the Office of Occupational Safety and the officials of the Criminal Police Commission 11.

The police will announce further details during the day.
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post March 14th, 2017, 12:27 pm
herman116 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 7,471.00 Points

Post March 14th, 2017, 1:02 pm

Points on hand: 6,144.00 Points

Post March 14th, 2017, 3:03 pm

Points on hand: 0.00 Points
Bank: 15,033.00 Points

Post March 14th, 2017, 4:11 pm
Turbo User avatar

I couldn't find that information
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post March 14th, 2017, 10:02 pm

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
herman116 wrote:
Sad to hear this kind of story. :/

Happened at one of your home parks... :cry:
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Post March 15th, 2017, 4:32 am
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
I kinda wonder how this this happened. It sounds like the employee was making their way to the storage, which is right behind the elevator lift, But just didn't knew the elevator lift came down. The elevator is quite quick so that seems the only logical explanation. :/

Sucks to hear this happened.
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post March 15th, 2017, 10:46 am

Points on hand: 284.00 Points
Sad to hear!

Coming from a factory that preached safety, I am surprised many parks do not have a "lockout/tagout" program to prevent these kinds of tragedies.

When a machine is shut down to be worked on, maintenance will lockout the power source with a lock that only he has key to. That way, if a worker comes back to the machine and doesn't see maintenance, he/she cannot operate it.

I learned during a tour of Griffon at Busch Gardens Williamsburg, that they had a number of keys that needed to be in the bank of panels to operate. Those are the same keys that are required to open any of the fencing, ect...so, to open up any gate to restricted area, one of those keys are needed. If any one of those keys are removed, the ride is prevented from being operated.

Such a simple procedure would prevent tragedies like this!

Post March 15th, 2017, 2:09 pm
Turbo User avatar

They probably do have these kinds of systems and trainings to prevent things but we must remember that everyone is human and mistakes do get made. It happens. I believe Mikey or any number of the other park-ops familiar users can elaborate on this more.

Coasterkidmwm wrote:

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!