Board index Roller Coaster Games Hard Hat Area Hacksaw::CCI Terrain Woody

Hacksaw::CCI Terrain Woody

The Hard Hat Area is the place to post construction news about your ride, so this is the place to hype your future upload!

Post August 3rd, 2017, 11:19 pm

Points on hand: 2,395.00 Points
Hello all.
Here is my first roller coaster since coming back to No Limits. I've always been fond of the tight and fast CCI coasters. I took a good amount of inspiration from Raven and Boulder Dash for this one. I'm calling it Hacksaw for now, but that is a tentative name. The supports and foliage for the most part are add-ins to show progress in a nicer light. I will be doing custom lateral supports and cross beams for the cross-over sections and the turn over the lake, as well as a more natural and diverse forest to surround the ride. Maybe a rock or two as well.

-Slinking down to the lift.
screenshot-2017-08-03-23-47-59.png

-The first drop.
screenshot-2017-08-03-23-48-42.png

-Middle of the first block.
screenshot-2017-08-03-23-50-25.png

-Turn-around before MCBR.
screenshot-2017-08-03-23-51-50.png

-Raven style turn over lake.
screenshot-2017-08-03-23-52-58.png

-Wireframe overview
Editor-Hacksaw.png

Post August 4th, 2017, 10:54 am

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
Wow it's nice meeting you and seeing your great woodie! Hacksaw'll catch our heart! :D
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Post August 4th, 2017, 10:56 am

Points on hand: 0.00 Points
Bank: 15,228.00 Points

Post August 5th, 2017, 1:56 am

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Quick update: I began work on the station and have detailed much of the track.

-Early work on the station.
Editor-Hacksaw-Station.png

-Example of track detail work.
screenshot-2017-08-05-02-39-32.png

I'm still getting used to the new beams, and how they are implemented, but I like what I've done so far. Giving us control over specific dimensions was a really powerful addition to supports in general. And being able to angle them in either vertical or horizontal makes the track detailing I have actually work like it's meant to.

Progress will likely be slow for about a week; I'm going out of town for a little R&R. I'll be able to return to this for a bit on Tuesday or Wednesday though.

Post August 6th, 2017, 2:32 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
Looks fantastic, and very authentic. I'm glad you're paying special attention the supports. It really adds to the overall experience. I'm looking forward to this one.
1-Millennium Force | 2-Intimidator 305 | 3-Fury 325
4-Skyrush | 5-Iron Rattler | 6-X2 | 7-Kingda Ka
8-Voyage | 9-Maverick | 10-Monster

Post August 18th, 2017, 12:03 am

Nearly finished with Hacksaw. I'd like to be in the running for the weekly awards, so I think I will wait until Monday to upload this.

The finished station. I was planning on doing a queue and exit path with stairs and a platform to meet at, but I felt I should finish this project before the semester started or I may never finish it.
20170818004255_1.jpg

This is quite a close clearance, but does just make it.
20170818004356_1.jpg

An example of the lateral support work.
20170818004442_1.jpg

Reinforcement of supports over water.
20170818004635_1.jpg

Edit: I'm getting an error message and I'm not quite sure why. "Not all trains could be assigned to blocks." I have a station, lift, MCBR (set to block), transfer table (automatically a block section), storage, and a final holding block before the station. I have three trains running on this system with one starting out in storage. Even if I take the train out of storage, whether it is in an appropriate block or I just run two trains, I still get the error. By all intents and purposes there should be nothing wrong with the set up from what I can see. Any ideas what might cause this?

Post August 18th, 2017, 10:01 am

Points on hand: 2,091.00 Points

^Looks great! I like the station and custom supports

Post August 18th, 2017, 10:10 am

Points on hand: 3,123.00 Points
Your block sections may not be long enough. Make sure they're a bit longer than the train, and setting them to trigger/function middle of train might do the trick. Also, I personally might make that whole section over the lake steel supported instead of just base touching water. Seems like a decent amount of force laterally and positively, might as well hybridize there for safety.

Post August 18th, 2017, 10:44 am

The block sections are at least a car longer from the front and back with the trains centered, still get the error.

For the section over the water, this is what I was aiming for: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-D3dVV4VtWDs/T ... 9%2529.jpg
I should probably sweep out the wooden supports in the same angle as the resultant force of the vertical and horizontal g's of that section though. That will keep the aesthetic of wood and steel but also retain a safe ride.

Post August 18th, 2017, 11:05 am

Points on hand: 3,123.00 Points
Yeah that would make sense-the way you have it it looks too skinny weak atm. Yeah idk about your block issue. Maybe the brakes are too weak and it's coming off a block? I've sometimes had remaining issues when a block section is sharing the point where the end of the track connects to the start of the track.

Post August 18th, 2017, 11:50 am
PvM User avatar

Points on hand: 8,245.00 Points

looking great so far! As for the section across the lake, as you see in the picture you posted, the supports are at an angle. This way they're able to divert the lateral forces to the foundations better. As you have them now (straight down) they're indeed too weak. Unfortunately I have no idea why you get the error :(

Post August 18th, 2017, 5:51 pm

PvM wrote:
As for the section across the lake, as you see in the picture you posted, the supports are at an angle. This way they're able to divert the lateral forces to the foundations better.:(

Already in the works. I plugged in a few test forces, one at the start, middle, and end of the turn to determine the overall angle the resultant force acts in. Looks like the force starts at 18 degrees from vertical, maximizes at 41 degrees, then finishes at 34 degrees. That last figure tells me I need to look closer at the exit of the turn as well. I may need to through in some more lateral bracing after my wood/steel hybrid structure over the lake, for good measure.
20170818_183243.jpg

The steps at the bottom there is a solution to me being lazy. Instead of finding the 3-dimensional vectors and plotting each point of the support structure individually (would be more accurate) I simply found the length needed to add to the cross beam to make the angle what I want; the way the editor is set up makes this easy to eyeball the supports as I move them as a whole and check the length of that beam.

-sidebar- A primary reason for my method here is because of the XYZ grid set in NL, with Y being vertical and the X and Z being horizontal. Anybody know how to change the labeling with Z being the vertical direction? I've been working with a different convention for a long time, and it would be helpful if I could put myself in a more familiar environment.

Post August 24th, 2017, 5:17 am

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
^ Oh my gosh! Truly great math skills! :D + 8-)
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Return to Hard Hat Area