Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Rides you thought seemed overhyped

Rides you thought seemed overhyped

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post October 3rd, 2018, 6:02 am

Points on hand: 15,350.90 Points
Kentucky Flyer-the announcement was apparently originally supposed to be spring of last year and someone had made a video reporting seeing markers even as early as last year. I remember people initially predicting a B&M hyper because of the height restriction and someone at an event saying that Ed Hart mentioned that as well as mentioning the 30 year anniversary.
If not for all that, I don't think this announcement would have been nearly as controversial and I don't think it will affect the actual ride experience.

Post October 3rd, 2018, 6:07 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,723.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Post October 3rd, 2018, 6:52 am

Points on hand: 1,304.00 Points
Soko wrote:
Kentucky Flyer-the announcement was apparently originally supposed to be spring of last year and someone had made a video reporting seeing markers even as early as last year. I remember people initially predicting a B&M hyper because of the height restriction and someone at an event saying that Ed Hart mentioned that as well as mentioning the 30 year anniversary.
If not for all that, I don't think this announcement would have been nearly as controversial and I don't think it will affect the actual ride experience.

Ikr I fullheartedly believed the hype. Kentucky Flyer would ne getting alot more praise if there wasnt 1.5 years of hype leading up to it.
1. Voyage 2. Intimidator 305 3. Maverick 4. Skyrush 5. Mindbender (Galaxyland) 6. Fury 325 7. Kumba 8. Goliath (Six Flags Over Georgia) 9. The Beast 10. Phoenix

Out of 139 creds

Post October 3rd, 2018, 6:55 am

Copperhead Strike, because it ended up being a hell of a lot smaller than we thought (I imagined 100-130ft tall, 55-65mph, 5-6 inversions, 3500-4000ft of track)

Mystic Timbers because it was the one big coaster for 2017 in America, and therefore it was always praised 24/7 leading to insane amounts of hype (Taylor from coaster studios having it in his top 10 over Skyrush, Phantoms Revenge & Maverick.) IMO the #3 at kings island behind beast and diamondbacks.
1. Voyage 2. Intimidator 305 3. Maverick 4. Skyrush 5. Mindbender (Galaxyland) 6. Fury 325 7. Kumba 8. Goliath (Six Flags Over Georgia) 9. The Beast 10. Phoenix

Out of 139 creds

Post October 4th, 2018, 7:40 am

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
Copperhead Strike is the best roller coaster I've ever ridden
X2 ??? Intimidator 305 ??? Millennium Force ??? Iron Rattler ??? El Toro ??? Fury 325 ??? Maverick ??? Skyrush ??? Twisted Timbers ??? Voyage

Post October 4th, 2018, 7:52 am

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
Sometimes, I think you guys take things wayyyyyy too seriously. Its fun and all to get into "what could it be" but when it turns out not to be that 500 foot tall 20 inversion super coaster you dreamed up, its no reason to be upset. Yeah, of course parks are going to over do it before the reveal, that's how marketing works these days. They want you to think their announcement is a must see thing. They know people are going to be glued to a screen anyway, they may as well get people to look at them.
What are these for?

Post October 4th, 2018, 9:09 am

CKidd wrote:
Sometimes, I think you guys take things wayyyyyy too seriously. Its fun and all to get into "what could it be" but when it turns out not to be that 500 foot tall 20 inversion super coaster you dreamed up, its no reason to be upset. Yeah, of course parks are going to over do it before the reveal, that's how marketing works these days. They want you to think their announcement is a must see thing. They know people are going to be glued to a screen anyway, they may as well get people to look at them.

But there was lots of evidence towards a bigger ride in several cases, like Soko pointed out with Kentucky Kingdom 2019. Or the announcement of Planet Snoopy expansion for 2017 at KD??? i know that pissed tons of people off.

Out of 139 creds

Post October 8th, 2018, 6:03 am
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,048.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
We've reached peak entitlement now - something that hasn't been announced can carry some bizarre level of expectation based on enthusiasts reading too much into clues/not clues.
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post October 8th, 2018, 6:15 am

mkingy wrote:
We've reached peak entitlement now - something that hasn't been announced can carry some bizarre level of expectation based on enthusiasts reading too much into clues/not clues.

Well, sometimes the hype is rampant because:

- The park hasn't gotten a new coaster in more than 5 years
- It???s rumored to be something BIG
- The park is hyping it up a lot
- The new ride might be unique or awesome

Out of 139 creds

Post October 10th, 2018, 1:56 pm
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
CKidd wrote:

Also to add to this. Themeparks aren't targeted towards us die-hard rollercoaster enthusiasts alone. We tend to forget that the main focus is towards the more mainstream folks, who area easily decepted by huge claims. Meanwhile we may live up with that hype and eventually blow it through the roof, only to drop all beliefs later when it turns out to be something small. The news for the mainstream folks will still be: "A new must-see ride has been build at said park".
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post October 11th, 2018, 7:24 am

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
mkingy wrote:

X2 ??? Intimidator 305 ??? Millennium Force ??? Iron Rattler ??? El Toro ??? Fury 325 ??? Maverick ??? Skyrush ??? Twisted Timbers ??? Voyage

Post October 12th, 2018, 4:37 pm

Points on hand: 662.00 Points
Joker SFGADV when i was watching it test i was sooo psyched, but than it got neutered -____-

Post October 15th, 2018, 10:55 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Lightning Racer is a terrible ride, but it looks sooooo awesome.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Return to General Theme Park Discussions