Board index Public Relations Contests Team Contest for No Limits!

Team Contest for No Limits!

Only official CoasterCrazy.com Contests are posted here.

Post January 1st, 2010, 1:14 am

Points on hand: 64.00 Points
Host: SkyLindlar Judges: SkyLindlar and devilsrule911 and Staff

Hello, and welcome to the most recent official contest on Coastercrazy.com! This contest is based around the Three Blind Mice Competition. It is a team contest, so I am going to need a pretty large amount of entries, and try to keep the number of entries divisible by three please.

In this contest, I will randomly select three people from the entry list from a hat or a bowl. This will be the team that you are on, in which you will work together to make a track.

The only manufacturers you can make a track for in this contest is an Intamin or a B&M.

You can build any type of track that each of these roller coaster manufacturers make, and if No Limits doesn't have the type of track you are making, use the most relative type of track that No Limits supplies you with. For example: since No Limits does not have a B&M flyer type, I would use a Vekoma Flying Dutchman track.

These are the templates for the contest:
B&M:
[img]C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\Mom\My%20Documents\My%20Pictures\untitled.JPG[/img]
Intamin:
[img]C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\Mom\My%20Documents\My%20Pictures\Intamin%20Template.JPG[/img]

Supports CAN be in the area between the red and blue lines, but the track can't. All trackwork has to be inside of the red areas and the station must be in the area marked with a purple X. You can edit the terrain all you want, just don't edit the template.

You can download the templates by clicking on my name and going to "View My Tracks" on my profile. You can find the two templates there.

Rules for all entries:
* Has to be a minimum of 80 feet tall.
* Must have either a lift and/or a launch.
* Needs to have at least 4 cars per train, and needs to be able to run at least 2 trains but no more than 4.
* Must pass e - stop.
* Must pass tunnel test.
(B&M Hypers must reach a minimum 200 feet)
* Must have a track length of at least 500 meters.

Teams:
Teams will be separated into three parts. A supporter, a track creator, and a scenery/terrain/3ds maker.
You can choose who does what and talk amongst yourselves about what type of track and statistics of the track and things of that nature.
After the deadline to sign up is over, there will be a one week period to swap members of your team out with other teams.

Send all entries to tlindsey804@comcast.net or post on the exchange. If you post it on the exchange however, you may not post another entry. You can if you send it to me though, I will only take the last track that you send however.

When posting to the exchange, put the name of your coaster, the team, and that it is the entry in this contest. The ride must be completed after the deadline for sign ups and partner swapping and February 17, at 11:59 pm central time.

The deadline for sign-ups is January 10th, 2010.
The deadline for partner swapping is January 17th, 2010.
The deadline for all tracks to be sent in is February 17th of 2010 at 11:59 pm Central Standard Time.

All tracks will be rated on the T/A/O system. At the end of all the ratings, I will see who has the highest average. In the case of a tie, the team will select one member to create a track. There will be a period of 7 days to create the track. After the 7 days, devilsrule911 and I will rate the tracks and see who has the highest average out of the two, three, four, etc.

If you have any questions, just ask, and devilsrule911 or me will answer them to the best of our abilities.

Thank you to all that will enter and good luck!

Entries List Each person that enters will be added to this.
1. Metazoanhaddock
2. IbanezCoaster
3. vampire
4. slosprint
Last edited by SkyLindlar on January 2nd, 2010, 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post January 1st, 2010, 4:30 am

Post January 1st, 2010, 10:53 am

Points on hand: 201.00 Points

Post January 1st, 2010, 12:01 pm

Points on hand: 6,869.00 Points
Metazoanhaddock: Try to resize your avatar before you put it in. I had the same problem and it makes the screen wierd.

SkyLindlar: The pictures aren't working for me.

Edit:

Xcelerators -
Must contain a tophat.
G force limits - Verts - 4.2

You should change that to be 5.1 because if your making a tophat the forces are going to be much stronger than 4.2.

Kingda Ka and Top Thrill Dragster reach 5.1 and the smaller accelerators reach 4.5: http://rcdb.com/3081.htm

Post January 1st, 2010, 12:15 pm

Points on hand: 2,615.00 Points

Also, with the dive machine, it should be at least +5 Verts.

Sign me up :D

Post January 1st, 2010, 12:23 pm

Points on hand: 1,676.00 Points
"The only manufacturers you can make a track for in this contest is an Intamin or a B&M."

"For example: since No Limits does not have a B&M flyer type, I would use a Vekoma Flying Dutchman track."

Seems a little contradictory. If it's an Intamin/B&M only contest, then Vekoma shouldn't be able to be used at all. IMO.

Intamin make wooden coasters? Definitely an interesting contest. Unfortunately I won't be able to do this one.

Post January 1st, 2010, 12:30 pm

Seems a little contradictory. If it's an Intamin/B&M only contest, then Vekoma shouldn't be able to be used at all. IMO.

That is because of how the forces work. If you use anything else, you will get vertical force instead of acceleration force. Also the hearline value would make the forces seem different to what they really are. That is why we had it like that. It will be the scenery creator's job to make a station that will work like B&M because you will change the station to be upside down like B&M. You can use something else but that works the best. As long as you mention what the ride is supposed to be.

Intamin make wooden coasters?

Yes. http://rcdb.com/3183.htm

Post January 1st, 2010, 12:34 pm
slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,728.00 Points
i'm in
Boulder Dash was the only good roller coaster.

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

Post January 1st, 2010, 1:28 pm

Points on hand: 1,676.00 Points
^^Oh. Never knew Intamin did wood coasters. I learned something new today!! Wee heeee! The Vekoma Flyer seemed confusing since the track itself doesn't look anything like a B&M track. But I didn't create the contest, so if it's usable that's fine.

Post January 1st, 2010, 3:33 pm

Any other entries!? Haha just kidding.
Oh are you confused about where the reply is? Well look directly above this and kablammo! There it is!

Post January 1st, 2010, 3:37 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
And why do we have to conform to your stupid inversion order and the need to have a twisting drop? The Madrid Superman and the Georgia standup coaster both have a straight drop and they're stellar rides. Those are pointless unless your plan is to piss people off and have a bunch of the same entries.

"Vertical Lift -
Needs to have drop of more than 90 degrees and a non - inverting loop. This track must also contain 2 consecutive corkscrews."

You're a jackass.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post January 1st, 2010, 3:40 pm

Who ever said that you would have to be the track creator in the first place? Thats the point of the challenge, to be able to work civilized but still create a good track. So ya wanna sign up lol
Oh are you confused about where the reply is? Well look directly above this and kablammo! There it is!

Post January 1st, 2010, 3:43 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

No i don't want to sign up if you have horrible pointless restrictions that aren't thought out whatsoever.

And if I was in this I'd have to make the track since I won't waste my time supporting a piece of crap and my computer cannot handle the ability to theme.

All you're doing is making a set of guidelines for rides YOU want to see instead of letting people build what they want to build. Kill the dumb restrictions and I'll join only if I get to work on trackwork.

If you want to base something on the Three Blind Mice Challenge, do it right, like the Three Blind Mice Challenge.

Post January 1st, 2010, 4:03 pm

Points on hand: 196.00 Points

"B&M Flyer -
G force limits - Verts - 4.3 & -0.9"
How exactly is this measured? Do you mean vertical or accelerational G forces?

"The drop cannot go straight down. For example, the track has to curve on the first drop, so the track will be going in the opposite as the original direction. "
That's BS

"B&M Dive Machine -
Must contain a dive loop and two vertical drops. "
No dive machine has 2 vertical drops.

"Giga -
Must contain an overbanked turn and must reach a top speed of 90 mph."
So, it can be launched to 90mph?

"Rules for B&M Hyper -
G force limits - Verts - 4.6 & -1
Lats - 0.4 to -0.5"
Where did you find those?

"B&M Invert -
Must have 5 inversions and first inversion must be a teardrop loop followed by a zero g roll. "
Goodbye originality!

"Blitz -
Needs to have at least 3 inversions and must contain interlocking corckscrews. "
I'd really love to see the Blitz coaster that has interlocking corkscrews...

"Xcelerators -
Must contain a tophat.
Acc - 1 to 1.9"
What about all the accelerators that don't have a tophat, like Rita, Dessert storm, Furius Baco, ...
Also is that -1? I think that's a little to low.

"Mega Coaster -
G force limits - Verts - 3.8 & -1.2"
More like 4.2 & -1.4 or -1.5.

"Twisted Impulse and Blast Coasters -
Must reach a speed of 100 km/h by a launch and the Blast coasters must contain an inverted barrel roll. "
What's an inverted barrelroll?

"Vertical Lift -
Needs to have drop of more than 90 degrees and a non - inverting loop."
I'd love to see the non inverting loop on an intamin... Any intamin.

"Wooden -
Needs to have 4 airtime hills and a helix.
G force limits - Verts- 4.5 & -1 "
Does the el-toro-ish turnaround count as a helix?
Also, El Toro supposedly pulls -1.5, and so does That korean prefab.

Explain!

Post January 1st, 2010, 4:28 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

Stupidity, there is your explanation.

Post January 1st, 2010, 4:30 pm

On the B&M flyer, I meant accelerational g forces. I'm sorry for the mistake.

I'm not going to hnage the rules for how the drop must be shaped.

As for the dive machine, there is always something new. And in this case, it is that another vertical drop must be used.

I got the G force limits for the B&M Hyper from memory.

On the Giga coasters, it must use a lift hill and must be at least 300 feet tall.

B&M Inverts - You can add originality to that, you can do tons of things to keep it from looking like a BTR clone.

On the Xcelerator G force limits, that is a positive one, not negative.

I mainly gussed on the mega coaster, so I will change that to your G force limits.

Go into the NL editor and go to elementpack2 and find the barrell roll with the word invert beside it or close by it.

Wooden - I will keep my G force limits the same.

As for everything else, I will base my answer on the fact that this contest is based on creativeness, I have made these limitations for that idea alone. I hope that you can just accept these rules and enter the competition.

Post January 1st, 2010, 4:46 pm

Points on hand: 196.00 Points

"On the Xcelerator G force limits, that is a positive one, not negative. "

And how is that possible than?

Post January 1st, 2010, 4:48 pm

I don't fully understand your question. Explain it.

Post January 1st, 2010, 4:54 pm

"Twisted Impulse and Blast Coasters -
Must reach a speed of 100 km/h by a launch and the Blast coasters must contain an inverted barrel roll. "
What's an inverted barrelroll?

I'm not going to get involved in this as I am here to help with ratings, answering questions and preventing loopholes and unrealistic force values from occurring, not to fix problems people complain about and answering their prayers. On the other hand, I will answer that question of yours. An inverted barrel roll is on an inverted coaster where the heartline is flipped and the ride fips aroud the way a usual coaster does: http://rcdb.com/474.htm?p=16329

Edit:
"On the Xcelerator G force limits, that is a positive one, not negative. "

And how is that possible than?

Yay for inverted tophats!

Post January 1st, 2010, 4:59 pm

I made some changes to the rules and I tihnk that many of you will enjoy it more thoroughly, I have made the contest where there can be more originality. These will be the final rules and will not be edited in anyway from now on.

Post January 1st, 2010, 6:24 pm

Points on hand: 3,189.00 Points

"Needs to have drop of more than 90 degrees. This track must also contain 2 consecutive corkscrews. "

Dude, this contest is going to have the most boring results with these restrictions. Good luck getting people to join!

Post January 1st, 2010, 6:52 pm

Lol, whats so boring about that?

Edit: And for all those that think this a bad idea, think about the work ahead of you if you are planning to become a roller coaster designer. All of your tracks will have tobe done with a team and each park that will buy Iride for you will probably be looking for some specific things in their rides. I had this in mind while planning all this out, but I didn't expect such a bad outcome and insults after posting this contest. I thought many people would enjoy working with one anoher and getting to know other people and work off of their building technique and practicing for what is to come ahead of themselves in the future. So just put this in mind while insulting and critiquing this contest, and for all those who said that some of these things aren't possible, there is always something new to happen in the world of roller coazters, so keep that in mind also. Thank you.

Post January 2nd, 2010, 3:29 am

Eliminated all specific restrictions to each type of track. Maybe you can have more originality like that.

Post January 2nd, 2010, 5:52 am

Points on hand: 1,385.00 Points
Originally posted by SkyLindlar

Lol, whats so boring about that?

Edit: And for all those that think this a bad idea, think about the work ahead of you if you are planning to become a roller coaster designer. All of your tracks will have tobe done with a team and each park that will buy Iride for you will probably be looking for some specific things in their rides. I had this in mind while planning all this out, but I didn't expect such a bad outcome and insults after posting this contest. I thought many people would enjoy working with one anoher and getting to know other people and work off of their building technique and practicing for what is to come ahead of themselves in the future. So just put this in mind while insulting and critiquing this contest, and for all those who said that some of these things aren't possible, there is always something new to happen in the world of roller coazters, so keep that in mind also. Thank you.

If I wanted practice to become a coaster designer, I'd either set some limits on myself and then design a coaster to meet those limits, or I'd ask an experienced member to make a template for me, or I'd take requests. Note I said experienced member. It is my personal belief that as someone who's most recent upload is a launched B&M (not like the Hulk either), you are not qualified to set arbitrary limits for a coaster contest. The fact that half the posts in this thread have pointed out inaccuracies in your G-force constraints doesn't exactly improve your credentials either. If you don't want your contest insulted, then my advice is to make a good contest.

Post January 2nd, 2010, 11:45 am

Points on hand: 2,736.00 Points
Limit the restrictions, give the creator more room and space for their creativity and art and let their imagination run wild. To me, you just want people to make you a coaster of your specifications and wishes. If you want people to make a coaster so much with these rules, do it yourself. I'm with Ckmwm on this one, sorry bud.

Next

Return to Contests