Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! 12-year-old boy injured at Castles N' Coasters in Phoenix

12-year-old boy injured at Castles N' Coasters in Phoenix

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 10,818.00 Points
PHOENIX - A 12-year-old boy was seriously injured at Castles-N-Coasters Friday, according to Phoenix police.

According to Officer James Holmes, the boy was riding the log ride when for unknown reasons, he tried to get off while the ride was in motion.

Police say the boy got his foot caught and was dragged by the ride before eventually falling into the water.

Family has identified the boy as Dominick Leal and say he is in critical condition Saturday. They say he fell 30 feet into the water from the ride after attempting to alert ride attendants that he was slipping.

Leal's family told ABC15 that he is in a coma and has a cracked skull, bruising all over his body and has undergone brain surgery since the accident.

"I couldn???t believe it when I looked over to see if an employee was going in after him, and nobody was going after him I had to do what I had to do and go after him,??? Edward Stevenson, Dominick???s grandfather, said.

Visiting Castles N' Coasters was a Christmas time tradition for the Stevenson family, but they're now saying they'll never step foot in the business again after the incident.

"When I pulled him out of the water he was barely breathing, Stevenson said. "I had lost him, the ride was still going, I had to swim after him and grab him again and pull him back up."

They said the boy was yelling for the ride worker to stop the ride because he was slipping, but a general manager at the amusement park said that witnesses told them the boy panicked and grabbed a railing right as the car was going over a hill. They said they feel horrible, but the boy wasn't seated or holding on.

A YouCaring fundraiser has since been created to help pay for his medical bills.

Darsey Grantham, general manager of Castles N' Coasters, provided the following statement to ABC15:

???We at Castles N??? Coasters are devastated by this unfortunate incident, and our sincere condolences and prayers go out to this young boy and his family. We have offered family fun at our parks for over fifty years and this is the first incident of this nature that we have encountered. We want everyone who comes to Castles N??? Coasters to enjoy a safe and fun experience. We have an impeccable safety record, one of the best in the industry. We hold regularly scheduled Safety Meetings on all of our rides which are meticulously inspected on a daily basis before the public is allowed to participate on any ride. We have policies and procedures in place for the safety of our guests and are continually training our staff. We feel horrible that this happened. Castles N' Coasters closed the ride down last night after the incident due to compassion for Dominick and his family. At which time the officer on duty conducted a police report of the incident. This morning our mechanic went through his routine maintenance thoroughly checking the ride to verify that everything was 100% and operating efficiently. No further mandatory investigations will happen at this time."

http://www.abc15.com/news/region-phoeni ... in-phoenix

While this accident was the boy's own fault, my prayers are with him, his family, and friends.

Points on hand: 4,748.89 Points
While the boy was kind of an idiot, the fact that none of the employees went in to rescue him kinda shows the quality of Castles N' Coasters.
Mind Bender at SFOG is pretty great
Check out my WIP thread
Currently working on Thunderbolt, a second generation Schwarzkoph.

Points on hand: 6,144.00 Points
did the employees know that something was going on?
Taron>Helix get mad

Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
People yell all the time that they think they're going to die, and quite frankly 12 year old fat children like the above are very low on the "I will take this person seriously" hierarchy. Follow the rules and don't ruin everyone's day trying to escape from a log flume. Employees probably couldn't see jack, and I'd imagine "they didn't stop it" comments applied to someone at a food stand, because they totally can estop the ride.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
This is stupider than that time when someone jumped out of a wave swinger at Dollywood before it was on the ground.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,728.00 Points
This is a weird question but why are some rides held to a different "idiot-proofing" standard than others? Like why for instance is it legal to have log flumes without restraints, whereas others are required to have lap bars, shoulder restraints etc based on factors other than forces experienced?
Boulder Dash was the only good roller coaster.

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
This case just makes me think of an old "Splash Mountain" accident. :sad:
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
slosprint wrote:
This is a weird question but why are some rides held to a different "idiot-proofing" standard than others? Like why for instance is it legal to have log flumes without restraints, whereas others are required to have lap bars, shoulder restraints etc based on factors other than forces experienced?

If the log flume flips over and you are stuck inside by restraints you'll most likely drown.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
^ I had got shocked by the "Shoot The Rapids" accident before...
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!