Board index Public Relations Contests 2005 Match-up Contest (Round 2) - RESULTS pg20

2005 Match-up Contest (Round 2) - RESULTS pg20

Only official CoasterCrazy.com Contests are posted here.

cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

2005 WWS/CC.COM Match-up Contest (Round 2)

Welcome to Round Two of the 2005 NoLimits Match-up Contest. This round will test your classic wood coaster building skills. Tools will be no help in this round, as I will take points off for tracks with too much heartlining and perfect banking. The best design from each group will advance to round 3, where there will be a new template and set of rules. Good Luck to All!

DOWNLOAD THE TEMPLATE HERE:
http://www.weeweeslap.com/users/cjd/Round_2_Template.nltrack

THE RULES:

The giant wood megacoaster has been under intense scrutiny from the coaster world as a whole. Your job is to build a tall, fast wood coaster that is as exciting as a CCI woodie. Airtime, lateral g's, and the out-of-control feeling will be vital to a winning entry. Perfect banking and heartlining will result in deductions. SO, get your classic building skills out, and make a wood megacoaster to remember. Small bonuses are available for 3ds and inventive support work. Here are the official guidelines:

• Track Style must be "4-seat Wood Coaster" or "6-seat Wood Coaster"
  • Must be a CCI style coaster. I.E, you need airtime and lateral g's.
  • All station buildings must be entirely contained within the area marked with an "X"
  • Only one lift hill can be used
  • No launches are allowed
  • Must run with 3 trains smoothly - points off for stalling and low capacity
  • Each 4-seat train must contain exactly 6 cars. Each 6-seat train must contain either 5 or 6 cars.
  • Terrain cannot be raised or lowered more than 20 ft (6 m)
  • The coaster track must stay inside the boundary. Supports are allowed to extend beyond the boundary, however.
  • The coaster must be between 160 ft and 200 ft tall (between 49 m and 61 m)
  • The track must contain at least 2 tunnels, above or below ground.
  • Extra points are available for 3ds, good supports, and inventive track layouts
  • All tracks must be submitted by 11:59:59pm EST Wednesday, May 4
  • Send finished tracks to cjd@muskingum.edu or post them on the exchange and post a link in this topic
  • Once a design is posted on the exchange, it is accepted as your final design. If you send a track through e-mail, you may re-submit as often as you like.

THE CONTESTANTS:

Group 1:
Buster Image
foildude

Group 2:
coaster992001 Image
ragan Image

Group 3:
Dirk_Ermen Image
deadnsleepin Image

Group 4:
ish
thecool326

Group 5:
Tyler Image
Iron Man Image

Group 6:
jpecool Image
MF2001 Image

Group 7:
unfortunate_smiley
krazyt Image

Group 8:
McFly
pdonahue Image

Green = Recieved Track
Orange = Problem with track file
White = Have Not Recieved Track
Red = Dropped Out
Image = final track submitted

Questions & Answers

If you have any questions you can post them in this topic. I will try to answer your question A.S.A.P. Your question and the answer will be posted under this header.

Q: Can I use NL tools to make the track?
A: Yes. All tools are allowed. Tools really don't make a good wood coaster, so they are almost no advantage in this round.

Q: Can I submit a track ahead of the deadline?
A: Yes. You can submit tracks any time between the start and end dates of each round.

Q: Can I submit more than one version of a track?
A: Yes. As long as it is sent through e-mail, you can re-submit as often as you like. If you post on the exchange, however, only one submission is allowed.

Q: Can I get help constructing my coaster:
A: No. This must be completely your work.

UPDATED FINAL RESULTS (these places are final.)

1 - 16. still competing...
17. SFMM Homie
18. Angry_Gumball
19. mkingy
20. Wishmaster
21. e-man
22. hyyyper
23 (tie). minicoopertx
23 (tie). PumpMeUp
25. helis1
26. harvesterofyoursorrow
27. Sir Coastalot
28 (tie). RCT-3-Crazy
28 (tie). that one kid
30. weasle
31. bigman
32. daan1990
33. The Edge
33. IntaminFan397
33. Gsus
33. Matt
33. Tarski
33. rocketboy711
33. ashhew1985
33. Brtnboarder495
33. Android
33. lpth5
33. Bino Maus
33. TomDragster
Last edited by cjd on May 6th, 2005, 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post April 24th, 2005, 5:00 am

Points on hand: 2,585.00 Points
One thing, the 6-seat cars pace much faster, and therefore the option of having 4-6 cars should, IMO, carry over to the 4-seaters, which keep much less speed. That's just my opinion, and I'm not undermining authority or anything, but that just seems reasonable to me.

Post April 24th, 2005, 5:01 am
cjd

Post April 24th, 2005, 5:06 am

Points on hand: 4,164.00 Points
they don't run ALL that much faster, and they impose some real limitations on how fast they can bank, so that pretty much eliminates, say, a tight helix. That said, I may use 'em. Not sure. I'll have to think about it once I study the template.

Post April 24th, 2005, 5:27 am

Well, technically, speaking, if you want this to be a true CCI ccontest, you wouldn't allow 3-bench trains at all. Various CCI rides have run, lemme think, about 9 different types of trains on various rides and at various times, but they'd all been either two bench, or "other". (Underground, LCoSM)

Post April 24th, 2005, 5:40 am
cjd

The whole idea is that you are building a coaster like the big Summers/Dinn coasters, which used 3-bench trains alot, with the speed and intensity of a CCI coaster. The coaster type itself is a Summers/Dinn megacoaster.

Post April 24th, 2005, 5:42 am

Oh, and for anyone curious, the trains in question would be:

1. PTC 2-bench standard
2. PTC 2-bench junior
3. PTC custom (Underground)
4. Gerstlauer normal
5. Gerstlauer open front (Boss)
6. Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain cars
7. Original CCI junior cars (Open on Pegasus in the Dells, didn't last long)

Well, okay, 7, not 9, but still...

Post April 24th, 2005, 5:50 am

Actually, only 2 Summers/Dinn rides used 3-bench trains, and both of those were under 100ft. All the biggies (Mean Streak, Herc, Texas Giant, etc) ran 2-benchers

Post April 24th, 2005, 5:52 am
cjd

Son Of Beast and the original Beast both have 6-seaters, and those are also part of the development of this round. Even though the main coaster is Hades...

Post April 24th, 2005, 5:55 am

Ahh, so my theory was right. Well, Son of Beast is a Premier/RCCA/Stengel design , no summers at all, infact he died in the early 90s. Beast originally ran 4-bench trains too, although it does run 3 benchers today. Beast was designed by KI insider Alan Collins, and built by Charlie Dinn, although from my understanding his role was generally structural and technical, and he had basically zero input into design issues.

/just sayin'

Post April 24th, 2005, 6:06 am
cjd

yeah, I know Summers wasn't involved in either of them. I just said that I used these 2 coasters as part of the contest consideration. Ack! Man, Tyler, you are really giving my explaining skills a good exercise this morning. [;)]

Post April 24th, 2005, 6:10 am

Points on hand: 3,283.00 Points

Yes!!!!! Tyler i believe we are slightly luckier in this round, Wahoooo woodies. lol. I just hope i dont screw up on it now, lol. [lol] CJD does it have to be in the style of Summers and Dinn, cant we go for an older designer????? Say from like 1920s? Not telling which one!!! [lol] You can probably guess which designer i want to base it on though.

Post April 24th, 2005, 6:12 am

CJD, what you haven't figured out yet that I'm a pain in the ass? :)

Post April 24th, 2005, 6:13 am
cjd

You can give it any style of building that you want. I'll be looking for airtime and lateral g's, though, so coasters that are like GCIs and Travers probably aren't going to score high unless you can succesfully combine the twister style with a CCI style.

Basically, I wanted to level the playing field by using a coaster style that would force people to build by hand. Auto-heartliner isn't much help with woodies unless you are building a GCI coaster.

Post April 24th, 2005, 6:19 am

Post April 24th, 2005, 6:20 am

Okay so im thinking, i can use any designers type of layout etc if want, as long as i combine it with some of the features that you would see on a CCI. So if i used The really tight turns and dives of a traver, but still used the transitions and things from a CCI it would be okay. That is not what i am going to do but its just an example. AND BTW i have just noticed, that template is HUGE!!!!!!!! [lol] Its gonna take me a while to fill that up. Oh and this is a really really stupid question, but supports are alloed to go outside the template arent they?

And Tyler thats the type of ride i was kinda thinking of, but a bit tighter and things. But i still want to fill the template, but keep it all tight together. Off i go to find some woodies i can base the ride on slightly. [:D]

Post April 24th, 2005, 6:40 am
cjd

Yes, supports can be outside of the template. And I forgot to add a rule... the track must contain at least 2 tunnels.

The template is nice and big, so although it is best suited for out-and-back twister hybrids, it is ideal for anything with big hills. Plus, Hades is a big coaster so I needed a big template to go with its round.

If anyone still hasn't figured out the pattern, here it is. Each round is based off of a major coaster project that was built this year. Round one was Hydra, this round is Hades. I'll leave it up to your imagination whether the next round is Kingda Ka, Shiekra, Silver Bullet, RITA, or Mr. Six.

Post April 24th, 2005, 6:47 am

Dammit CJD, now you've made me stay up all night. It's now almost 7AM here :P

Oh well, might as well work on the coaster...

Here's what I've got so far:

The station and brakes are fairly high, but I don't think beyond reason (Son of Beast, Cornball, etc). The dispatch end of the station is at 43ft, while the high speed end of the first brake run is just under 55ft. Those first 4 airtime hills are pretty amazing. -0.7 vert OR STRONGER (up to -1.3) in every seat, every hill.

Post April 24th, 2005, 6:53 am

Oh man, yours looks like what ive got so far. Im gonna change it. [lol]

Post April 24th, 2005, 6:55 am

For those curious, this little beginning segment is very similar to my favorite part of my favorite coaster:

Post April 24th, 2005, 6:58 am

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

Those hills have the most incredible sustained floater air I've ever experienced. Phoenix rules.

Post April 24th, 2005, 7:02 am

Actually, the pic doesn't show the exact bit I like, that's the 2nd run, which has 2 hills, that frankly don't do jack poop and are basically the rides only weak points. The real action is the 4th run, which is just to the right, and a bit lower.

Post April 24th, 2005, 7:11 am

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

Yeah, that 4th run is amazing. But what do you mean the 2nd run doesn't do jack poop? It may not be powerful ejector airtime like on the 4th run but its amazingly sustained floater air that brings you right up to the buzzbar.

Post April 24th, 2005, 7:16 am

I haven't ridden it in a few years, sad to say. The 2nd run just never did much for me, at least in comparison to the rest of the ride. I just don't like shallow rampy hills.

Post April 24th, 2005, 7:19 am

Points on hand: 2,297.00 Points
cjd in the last contest you said that you could do any thing. so what if my people died. anything did happen and there was no rule that your people had to live. next time write that rule so i dont get confused

Next

Return to Contests