Board index Public Relations Contests 2006 NL Tournament (Round 1) - RESULTS pg 58

2006 NL Tournament (Round 1) - RESULTS pg 58

Only official CoasterCrazy.com Contests are posted here.

Post February 26th, 2006, 1:48 am
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

2006 WWS/CC.COM NoLimits Tournament (Round 1)

Welcome to Round One of the 2006 NoLimits Tournament. In this round, your challenge will be to build a B&M hypercoaster within several narrow strip of land. The 16 best overall tracks will advance to Round 2, where you will be paired off and given a new template and set of rules. Good luck!

DOWNLOAD THE TEMPLATE HERE:
http://www.weeweeslap.com/users/cjd/NLT_Round_1_Template.nltrack

THE RULES:

LAND RESTRICTIONS: (pay close attention... any infraction WILL result in disqualification)

Track Can Go:
- Between the red lines, in the areas marked with a 'yes'
- Anywhere in the area above the second blue line
- Anywhere between the blue lines, as long as the track is at least 20 feet above ground.

Track Can't Go:
- Below the first blue line, outside of the red boundaries (maked with a 'no')
- Between the blue lines, but less than 20 feet (6 meters) above ground. (The area between the blue lines is a road, and 20 feet of clearance is needed to allow the trucks to pass underneath)

Supports/scenery can go anywhere, except the following exceptions:
- Support fundaments may not be placed between the blue lines, unless they are in the narrow area between the purple lines. (the purple lines represent the road's median, and are therefore open)
-All supports and scenery that are between the blue lines must be at least 20 feet (6 meters) above the ground, unless they are between the purple lines.

Your challenge is to turn several narrow strips of land, between other amusement park rides, into a world-class B&M hypercoaster. The picture above and the adjoining explaination have the areas where you can and cannot build track clearly marked. Aside from the space, there are very few restrictions on what can be built. Tracks will be judged on a traditional technical/adrenaline/originality scale, and then given a weighted score based on its importance to the coaster.

• Track Style must be '4-seat Hyper Coaster'
  • ALL track must remain COMPLETELY within the given boundaries
  • The track must be between 180 and 250 feet tall (between 55 and 76 meters)
  • Only one lift hill or launch can be used
  • Must run with at least 2 trains smoothly - points off for stalling and low capacity
  • Each train must contain at least 7 cars
  • Terrain cannot be modified EXCEPT in the top of the template, above the second blue line
  • The station building must be COMPLETELY contained within the area marked with an "X"
  • G Forces should be kept under 5.2 vertical, 1.5 lateral, and -1.5 airtime (no disqualifications for this, but points will be taken off)
  • Extra points are available for scenery, good supports, and inventive track layouts
  • All tracks must be submitted by 11:59:59pm EST Saturday, March 11
  • Send finished tracks to cjd@muskingum.edu or post them on the exchange with a "(Round 1)" tag, and post a link in this topic
  • Once a design is posted on the exchange, it is accepted as your final design. If you send a track through e-mail, you may re-submit as often as you like.

Have Fun, and Good Luck!

THE CONTESTANTS:

1. PumpMeUp
2. B and M Freak
3. Raigodmaster141
4. Dragon Fly
5. e-man
6. guitarplayer673
7. hyyyper
8. screamomatic
9. Wing-Over

10. Noah
11. RCT-3-Crazy
12. ish
13. Mikado
14. Coaster mad
15. Jimmy Yoshi
16. Matt

17. Dirk_Ermen
18. jpecool
19. Jakizle
20. EElover2
21. Sio
22. pdonahue

23. CoAsTeRkRazY
24. Medusaboy47
25. Tanks4Me

26. Flapion1
27. Real
28. Iron Man

29. knutsack
30. MACchiato
31. RRollergod
32. coasterteddy
33. ragan

34. Dynamix
35. harryman
36. tracksix
37. delousedcoma

38. harvesterofyoursorrow
39. coolbeans326
40. pauly414
41. minicoopertx
42. coasterguy77
43. topdrag

44. mkingy
45. helis1
46. ymlaenllanelli
47. unfortunate_smiley
48. krazyt

49. zharshaw@cfl,rr,com
50. dcs221
51. MF2001
52. SixFlagsOverTexas

53. Brtnboarder495
54. GRIM
55. Blader3595
56. Thorazine

57. co_2808
58. gazag
59. Sobek

60. crash2108
61. bigbadben1000
62. drummerkid
63. Myriad

64. SMer

Green = Recieved Track
Orange = Problem with track file
White = Have Not Recieved Track
Red = Dropped Out
Image = final track submitted

Questions & Answers

If you have any questions you can post them in this topic. I will try to answer your question A.S.A.P. Your question and the answer will be posted under this header.

Q: when you say that the station must be COMPLETELY in the box, is this regarding the sim or editor?
A: The sim. The 'station' in the editor is just the station's track, not the station building.

Q: Is there a length minimum/maximum?
A: No.

Q: Are there any g-force limitations?
A: (added to contest rules) They must be close to realistic for a sit-down coaster. (5.2 vertical, 1.5 lateral, -1.5 airtime) These are VERY generous numbers, so don't push it.

Q: Are inversions allowed?
A: Yes, technically. If you can make a good B&M hyper that has inversions, that's fine with me.
Last edited by cjd on March 22nd, 2006, 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post February 26th, 2006, 1:50 am

Points on hand: 4,378.00 Points

thanks cjd. [:D]

get ready for the tsunami of pointless questions! lol

ah, i found some comments too:

1. COMPLETELY in the box for the station, is this regarding the sim or editor?

2. is there a length minimum/maximum?

3. gforce limitations?

thanks

Post February 26th, 2006, 1:51 am

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

Post February 26th, 2006, 1:58 am

Points on hand: 56.00 Points
Guys, I hate to say, i might have not enough time, Damn epecially since I know how to use elementary and AHG pretty well now too

Post February 26th, 2006, 2:13 am

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
I thought you already told us it was going to be a Pinfari kiddy coaster? [;)]

Anyways lol I like this... don't like the complete lack of terraforming...atleast some very subtle height changes would have made the template appear more realistic... and the road doesn't look good since it wasn't done with simple 3ds, but I like being restricted by your boundaries. That makes designing more similar to real life. I also like the choice of track styles for this round.

Post February 26th, 2006, 2:17 am

Points on hand: 2,601.00 Points

Are we assuming that this B&M hyper has no inversions? What is the degree limit of overbanked turns, etc, if inversions aren't allowed?
My body isn't a temple. It's an amusement park.

Post February 26th, 2006, 2:21 am

^the standard is 134* and lower is noninverting, 135 and over is inverting.

Post February 26th, 2006, 2:26 am

Points on hand: 2,601.00 Points

ok, but are inversions allowed or not? Even with the B&M lap restraints, I doubt a simple verticle loop would be a problem. After all, Schwarzkopf loopers have just a lap bar...

I can build either with or without, but would like to know officially whether it's allowed.
My body isn't a temple. It's an amusement park.

Post February 26th, 2006, 2:51 am
cjd

I never said that inversions weren't allowed. If you can make a good B&M hyper that has inversions, that's fine with me.

Post February 26th, 2006, 2:53 am

is there a minimum/maximum for length? or if something isnt then it doesnt bother you?

Post February 26th, 2006, 2:58 am

Points on hand: 2,336.00 Points
Inversions allowed? I am guessing no.
Gay sex is great! (Qwerty 18:22)

Post February 26th, 2006, 2:58 am
cjd

Originally posted by dcs221

Anyways I don't like the complete lack of terraforming...at least some very subtle height changes would have made the template appear more realistic... and the road doesn't look good since it wasn't done with simple 3ds

1. Take a look on rcdb... both of the coasters that this round is based off of are on completely flat ground.

2. I could easily have made a 3ds road, but opted not to in order to keep the template a simple .nltrack file. We have several less experienced contestants, so I figured it would be best to keep WinZip and Track Packager out of this round.

Originally posted by ragan

is there a minimum/maximum for length? or if something isnt then it doesnt bother you?

(Already answered in the Q/A section...) No, there are no restrictions on length.

Originally posted by Dragon Fly

Inversions allowed? I am guessing no.

Already answered in an earlier post, and now in the Q/A section.

Post February 26th, 2006, 3:07 am
cjd

Just so that everyone knows, the general answer for any questions about the rules is "If it isn't posted in the rules, it's legal."

Post February 26th, 2006, 3:08 am

Post February 26th, 2006, 3:51 am

Points on hand: 1,843.00 Points

Sounds like a good contest, I can see the Goliath (SFOG) influence in there. I've made a start on it, and so far I've got a prelift and the first drop done. I'm gonna try and finish off the track work in the next few days, so I can spend plenty of time on stuff like scenery and supports, and track connectors.

Post February 26th, 2006, 3:57 am

yeah im trying to get the track done asap to do supports and extras.

ive already done 2200 feet of track, and i am up to the interstate. and if anyone loves zero g forces, ive already got 8 seconds of it...with hopefully 8 more seconds to come!

Post February 26th, 2006, 6:55 am
ish User avatar

Points on hand: 1,239.00 Points

Maybe one question, is it uninventive to use some ideas from Goliath?
I mean I don't expect it to be creative, but does cost you points in originality?

Post February 26th, 2006, 7:19 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
i'm in, o no, i'm already in

w00t, better start building

Post February 26th, 2006, 7:49 am

Points on hand: 3,283.00 Points

NO!!!!!!!!!!! My worst track type, Hyper, B&M, argh needs to be graceful! Oh my, im done for. I hate building hypers, but i am going to try.The template looks interesting. Your thin strips of land arent that thin aswell which im glad for, they allow for some sideways movement, and better elements [:)] I just want to get my ride across the road so i can build some nicer stuff. [:)] hehe. Anyay, im about to start mine, NOW.

Post February 26th, 2006, 8:17 am
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
lol, i bet more people then you just arn't that good in building a B&M hyper. I've started several b&m hypers before, but they all kinda failed [:D] Oh well, this will be the first B&m hyper finished then from me in a very long time [lol]
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post February 26th, 2006, 8:29 am

Am I like the only person who loves B&M Hypers? I've got about half of it done now, including a nice twisted scetion after the road, similar to Rita. That part needs redoing, though. The second of the helixes needs a few more G's.

Post February 26th, 2006, 8:34 am

^ I like B&M hypers, well i like the look of them, never ridden one, i just hate making them. I like to make woodies that feel out of control, and B&M is the total opposite to that, the rides need to be smooth, perfect, and graceful. Ive been thinking about the layout, and i think im going to go with the older style B&Ms, a little crazier, i think. Allowing harsher forces, and not so perfectly heartlined. They give a more out of control ride, which im better at doing. I like this competition, it always makes you challenge yourself, because i would never normally make a track like this, but now i have to if i want to stay in the competition. It kind of a learning curve. I learnt so much in the last match up contest! I hope this one is just as good. [:D]

Post February 26th, 2006, 8:35 am
ish User avatar

Points on hand: 1,239.00 Points

I also like B&M hypers. Mine is somewhat inspired by Goliath itself but I however need to tweak some hills cause they pull more g's than expected:/

Post February 26th, 2006, 8:36 am

Am i the only one who hasnt got very far? Im just starting my lift hill!

EDIT: anyone know a good typical angle for a B&M hyper lift hill? I was thinking 35 degrees? But im not sure. Ive looked at a number of photos, im just trying to get a B&M feel. [:P]

Post February 26th, 2006, 8:54 am

I used 35* too. I'd say anything between 30 and 35 would be quite realistic.

Next

Return to Contests