Board index Public Relations Contests 2009 NLT - Finals RESULTS PG-5

2009 NLT - Finals RESULTS PG-5

Only official CoasterCrazy.com Contests are posted here.

Post April 16th, 2009, 12:52 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
Originally posted by GerstlCrazy

Originally posted by hyyyper

Airtime is good, but just 8 ejector hills won't give you a winning track.

Because Megas don't do ejector! Thankfull hyyyper does know something after all! [lol]

Like I said before, B&M has their own style, but that doesn't mean you have to use that style too. Make your own ride, and if you think ejector will make your ride better, add ejector. I don't care if actual B&M don't have it, I just want kick-ass rides!

Post April 16th, 2009, 1:17 am

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

How about a B&M hyper with a realistic layout but some crazy, original elements along the way :P.

Post April 16th, 2009, 8:08 am

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
Elements of a ride make up the layout, so that doesn't make any sense [lol]

Post April 16th, 2009, 8:53 am

Post April 16th, 2009, 12:03 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Originally posted by Jakizle

How about a B&M hyper with a realistic layout but some crazy, original elements along the way :P.

If using an unrealistic layout gets you a better ride, than what would be the wise choise?

Post April 16th, 2009, 1:46 pm

Post April 16th, 2009, 2:51 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Depens on what you think is unrealistic. In many cases, you are right, though, unrealistic usually isn't better. But if you find something unrealistic that IS better, you shouldn't just discard it as unrealistic, and treat it like original.

Post April 16th, 2009, 3:44 pm

Originally posted by hyyyper

...if you find something unrealistic that IS better, you shouldn't just discard it as unrealistic, and treat it like original.

We all know what Jakizle is gonna say to this [:p]

You can be realistic while being original at the same time. Something I think you're refusing to accept Hyyyper.

Post April 16th, 2009, 6:05 pm

Points on hand: 4,152.00 Points

Post April 16th, 2009, 8:35 pm

Yeah, that's what I've been trying to say Jake. Already My 2nd element is realistic yet pretty original (never been done before), so this is actually turning out a lot better than I thought.

Post April 16th, 2009, 11:19 pm

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
Actually sopporo, that's not really what I mean. You're correct that I'm not calling any of the finalists noobs...wouldn't be very nice for me to go and say that haha. What I was trying to note was that people new to NL usually make over-the-top rides that are worse because they seem excessively unrealistic, and that's exactly what hyyyper is asking for in this round, as cjd was looking for in 2006. As designers, the finalists should conform to the wants of the judge based on what the judge says now and said before in his/her ratings, but I expect the judge to ask for something that will produce the best quality tracks, and I only see that some of the time in these contests.

Why conform to a specific train design that isn't included in NL without conforming to the company style that designed the train? It's one thing to welcome and encourage creativity and originality...and another to imply that you're looking for a track that diverges completely from the given style, so that a designer whose style may be to recreate a style but using original elements can make a great track and lose to someone making a mediocre track conforming to what you're looking for. I've seen it happen, and from your rules, I somewhat anticipate seeing it here.

Post April 16th, 2009, 11:26 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,602.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

If the person who follows the rules wins and creates a worse over all track than the one who broke the rules who has a better track, what is the problem? He followed the rules, the other did not.
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post April 17th, 2009, 12:45 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Originally posted by dcs221

Why conform to a specific train design that isn't included in NL without conforming to the company style that designed the train?

You know the reason behind the odd train style. Each year, this tournament is based on rides being build. This round is based on Diamondback, hence the longer trains.
And since when is it forbidden to use a different building style on a paticular train style? In most cases it will result in unrealistic and bad tracks, but done well, you could end up with a original and good track.

Originally posted by dcs221

It's one thing to welcome and encourage creativity and originality...and another to imply that you're looking for a track that diverges completely from the given style, so that a designer whose style may be to recreate a style but using original elements can make a great track and lose to someone making a mediocre track conforming to what you're looking for. I've seen it happen, and from your rules, I somewhat anticipate seeing it here.

I am looking for a great track in the first place. I really don't care when approach you make or what style you build. The best ride will win.
And I am not implying a thing. I've said it pretty clear that the rules are the rules and the rest is pure freedom. For example, if somebody goes with an Intamin hyper style this round, and it works out good, the ride gets a good rating (also depending on the other factors).

Post April 17th, 2009, 1:39 am

Nowhere did I say break the rules, Oscar. You misunderstood my meaning. Of course it's never good to build outside of borders or break rules in some other silly way...I completely agree with that. However, why constrain designers to a certain train type (again, that isn't even in the game) but imply that an Intamin hyper, consistently more exciting in NL than B&M styled ones, will take the prize? Might as well open up the track/train style too, because designing say a CCI style layout along with its shaping would be silly with B&M hyper track.

Am I the only one who thinks there have really been a handful of rides that are legitimately realistic? Perhaps it'd be more challenging, and more notable tracks would be produced, if you'd say hey, people suck at designing realistic rides (and in general, they do), so design me a realistic ride of X company style that incorporates originality, but still resides within the characteristics of the company. To do that is challenging...much moreso than building exaggerated rides like those made by new designers all the time to get excitement points. Right now, these guys could be designing the next Superman: Ride of Steels...but you've got them designing the tacky shield tunnels and random billboards...just fluff to seemingly satisfy people rather than to make a truely satisfying and high quality ride. If they want a really good ride, they take the chance of losing (and believe me, I've been in a similar situation several times), and if they want to satisfy you, their rides may suffer...as I feel some of mine did in 2006. Why should these things be at odds with each other?

Post April 17th, 2009, 2:51 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

^Who is stopping you to host a contest of your own?

And I am not going to repeat all the others things I've before, do yourself a favor, read them trough and just post your next complaint.

Post April 17th, 2009, 3:47 am

Engineering, among other things.

It's ok, I'll just wait for your next screw up.

Post April 17th, 2009, 4:01 am

Points on hand: 1,492.00 Points
I'm sorry...I tried to read all that writing.......but....my brain is totally dead........so many...damn words [confused]
Sometimes you gotta sacrifice a little bit of yourself to get the job done.

Post April 17th, 2009, 8:05 am

Originally posted by Oscar

If the person who follows the rules wins and creates a worse over all track than the one who broke the rules who has a better track, what is the problem? He followed the rules, the other did not.

It isn't a rule though, it's a guideline. Technically, a realistic but original (what we should expect from Jakizle) could win; and I expect it will just as soon as it's proven to Hyyyper that out-of-the-boxism can be achieved without being a random element slopper.

Post April 17th, 2009, 8:40 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

^I'm not saying it couldn't be done.

I just want good tracks, regardless of the style, layout or originality. If you think you can build a better track with just floater hills and one helix, do so. If building twisted curves with ejector is more your style, SO BE IT. Do what feel right, have fun and good luck.

Post April 17th, 2009, 10:46 am

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
I hate looking at the length
I've only got a first drop and half an airtime hill and I'm already ove 1000ft
What are these for?

Post April 17th, 2009, 12:23 pm

Points on hand: 1,151.00 Points

^That tends to happen when you've got a 200-ft-tall ride [;)]

I'm 1500 feet into the layout, and I'm attempting a good B&M with a couple of unexpected moments rather than "crazy whatever" style.

Post April 17th, 2009, 1:50 pm

I'm going with a good mix of ejector and floater with a lot of twistyness among giant straight hills (although not all are perfectly straight :).

2000 more feet to go :).

Post April 17th, 2009, 4:20 pm

Points on hand: 232.00 Points
How does one do a lift crest/drop if your going to use fvds? I made the lift crest with hsak, but when i continue off the lift with fvds, no matter what i still get a pump. Any help?

Post April 17th, 2009, 5:34 pm

I don't use FVD for my drops off of a lift...but if i was use, I would start with a straight section and then pull over...then add that to your lift.

Post April 17th, 2009, 11:36 pm

Can I do a generally flat terrain with a river to the side of the template or something? If so, can I hide the template under the ground?

PreviousNext

Return to Contests