Board index Public Relations Contests 2012 No Limits Tournament - Round 2

2012 No Limits Tournament - Round 2

Only official CoasterCrazy.com Contests are posted here.

Post April 12th, 2012, 12:48 am

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

Originally posted by GerstlCrazy

Yeah I mean I'm not a judge, I can't answer the question, I just think it's not really a point of concern.

But the chances of you producing any kind of wood equally technically accurate to whatever Jakizle will make.......

What? Oh shi...pressure

Post April 12th, 2012, 1:16 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
Originally posted by umop episdn

Just a simple question, would a Texas Giant styled RMC Iron Horse count as a woodie?

Texas Giant is now a steel coaster (with wooden supports), so no.

Originally posted by TheArchitect

can supports go over 50m? as in the hand rails?

Yes, supports can go over 50m, but not the track.

Originally posted by yoshifreak

I hate to bring up the age old argument regarding contest rating, but I feel like I have to considering the variable nature of this round. In regards to adrenaline ratings, are track styles going to be judged relative to manufacturer tendencies or pure ride experience? For example, say Jakizle and I were to both build equally "technically accurate" rides. His being an Intamin and mine being a GCI. Would I remain at a disadvantage because, in comparison, the ride intensity experience favors Intamin in terms of pacing, forces, etc?

This is indeed an old argument, and I doubt it'll be resolved any time soon.

My personal approach is that I look at the coaster as it is, regardless of the designing/constructing company. If somebody sends in a perfectly reproduced GCI, I'll praise the track for the exciting layout and high speeds, but take off points for lack of airtime. If somebody sends in an Intamin, I'll love the airtime, but rate down because there are not laterals or the unoriginal layout.

But that doesn't mean I will always favour Intamin over GCI. A good GCI will always score higher than an average Intamin. The points described above have little effect on the total score, as there are many more factors that count towards the total score

That's just my personal opinion. I am not rating this year, but I wanted to share my point of view.

Post April 12th, 2012, 10:28 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Originally posted by hyyyper
This is indeed an old argument, and I doubt it'll be resolved any time soon.

My personal approach is that I look at the coaster as it is, regardless of the designing/constructing company. If somebody sends in a perfectly reproduced GCI, I'll praise the track for the exciting layout and high speeds, but take off points for lack of airtime.

Just an FYI I am aware of the shortcomings of certain companies and won't take off points for choosing a more boring company like GCI or RCCA over something like Intamin that makes fairly nutty tracks. I get it and it is considered. Most people make what they think are "normal" woodies WAY too intense anyways regarding G's.

I'm also quite aware that "freeform" in house designing can be quite successful (Knoebels, the Vekoma Stand Company woodies, Viper at SFGAm, etc) so don't totally limit yourself. If you build something fun that isn't stupid I'll like it.

Just remember, stupid errors and your own inadequacy or lack of control is NOT creativity. There is a right and a wrong way to do everything.

Also while I'm typing I'd like to add that I get that supports will be a bit of a killer in this so I won't be super harsh on them, I just expect people to try and come up with something that will hold the ride up since Woodmagic generally screws up lateral supports.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post April 13th, 2012, 3:24 pm

Points on hand: 611.00 Points
Terraforming? and if we are allowed to terraform, then how much?

Post April 13th, 2012, 4:27 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

^As much as you need to. But consider that terraforming costs money, so a few tunnels or hiils are ok, but creating massive lakes, valley and mountain ranges is way over a park's budget.

I'm not going to make a rule out of it, but just keep it reasonable.

On another note, how are you guys coming along? No major troubles or questions with/about the template?

Post April 13th, 2012, 5:10 pm
yoshifreak Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 241.00 Points
I have a quick question. Say we were to use supports/catwalks to imitate the walkways, would those be allowed in the restricted area, since they're really not meant to be supports?

Post April 13th, 2012, 9:45 pm

Post April 13th, 2012, 9:53 pm

Points on hand: 1,601.00 Points
So, I haven't started. I got caught up in making my round 1 entry prettier, which is also why it's not been uploaded yet. I should probably start round 2 pretty soon, though....

Post April 14th, 2012, 4:03 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

I have a quick question. Say we were to use supports/catwalks to imitate the walkways, would those be allowed in the restricted area, since they're really not meant to be supports?

Correct, you can use supports, catwalks or 3ds to make the paths.

Post April 15th, 2012, 5:37 pm
TheArchitect User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 501,147.00 Points
Bank: 498,048.00 Points
just a heads up that im moving house so if i go quiet an never upload anything, that is why.

Post April 15th, 2012, 7:31 pm

Points on hand: 6,869.00 Points
^Oh, don't worry, that's fine. [:p]
1.Boulder Dash | 2.Legend(HW) | 3.Beast | 4.Ravine Flyer II | 5.Intimdator 305 | 6.Phoenix | 7.Twisted Timbers | 8.Wicked Cyclone | 9.Thunderhead | 10.Storm Chaser

Post April 17th, 2012, 10:37 am

Points on hand: 611.00 Points

Post April 23rd, 2012, 4:58 pm

A question about terraforming: are we allowed to terraform outside the boundaries of the template? Note that I plan on covering up the hole with a 3ds grass bit.

Post April 24th, 2012, 2:22 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

^Allowed, but keep it simple, do not create entire rivers or mountain ranges.

Post April 25th, 2012, 12:39 pm

Finished my layout, a furious paced and g-filled CCI in the form of Raven, coming in at 2717' feet. It really is amazing how much is squeezed in 2700' feet and how much diving it does. Pics soon? :)

Post April 25th, 2012, 1:26 pm

Layout is finished, working on modeling now. Mine is a tunnel-filled GCI, with 5 separate tunnels (and a trench!) over something like 2500 feet of track. I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone else's rides.

Post April 26th, 2012, 7:37 pm
Premium Member

Well finals are finally over so I have time to start my entry. This is gonna be interesting.

Post April 28th, 2012, 2:25 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Just a small week left now, any of you guys confident enough to show us some teasers?

Post April 28th, 2012, 5:10 pm
Premium Member

Post April 29th, 2012, 2:05 am

Just a small week left now, any of you guys confident enough to show us some teasers?

Yep [;)]
Tunnel #5 - with skylight!

Post April 29th, 2012, 9:29 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

How are the red boxes being tunnel tested?

This one a question for the judges. Coasterkid and guitarplayer, will you be using the wooden or steel tunnel for tunneltesting?

Post April 29th, 2012, 11:02 am

Points on hand: 2,211.00 Points
Originally posted by boneplaya

Yep [;)]
Tunnel #5 - with skylight!

Lookin good.

Post April 29th, 2012, 12:13 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
If you idiots used fog it's getting deleted because my processor doesn't like semi-transparent clusters like that.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post April 29th, 2012, 7:26 pm

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
a sky light in a parking lot is so not practical, I'm not saying it has to be practical just that it isn't
What are these for?

Post April 29th, 2012, 9:44 pm
Premium Member

Trackwork is finished. A 3820ft Intamin pre-fab filled with 12 moments of negative g-force and 1 tunnel(time permitting).

Edit: Wasn't gonna show any progress, but w/e.

PreviousNext

Return to Contests