Board index Public Relations Contests 2013 Coaster Draft - Coming Soon

2013 Coaster Draft - Coming Soon

Only official CoasterCrazy.com Contests are posted here.

Post June 13th, 2013, 6:43 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
Hi everbody,

it's summer again which means it is also time for the Coaster Draft.

The Coaster Draft itself will not start for a few weeks, but I'd to hear you guys about some ideas I want to try out.

First of all, the picking of the coasters. Last year was a try-out that let 4 players pick simultaneously and we'll use that system again this year.

Since the speed of the draft has increased dramatically, it also means we have no real time constraint. We can use this to increase the amount of players or the number of rounds. More players might be more fun because more people can join but it would also mean that we might need more than one voting round. Increasing the number of rounds might be nice for some, as they can have more coasters in their park, but it also removes the difficulty of really having to think about what coaster you need and which ones you don't need in your park.

As a comparison, last years draft lasted 28 days, 14 players finished after 8 rounds (24 started) with a total of 107 coasters picked.

Please let me know how many players and rounds you would like to see this year.

The second matter is concerning the first round. Each year, the four coasters that are picked almost immediately are Boulder Dash, El Toro, Expedition GeForce and Bizzaro. While players are supposed to vote for the best overall park, having one of those coasters in a park will boost it immensely.

One idea that came to mind is to have a neutralization round before the actual draft. Players can pick one coaster each that will be neutralized during the draft, meaning the big shots I mentioned before cannot be picked and will not give the first few players an advantage. In that way it will come down to the best combination of coasters instead of having just one extremely good coaster. Please let me know if you think this is fair or if it is the worst idea ever.

I'd love to hear your opinions, and please keep an eye on the boards as the draft will most likely start early July.

Post June 13th, 2013, 7:32 am

Points on hand: 15,383.90 Points
I'm still not exactly sure what Coaster Draft is, but it doesn't sound like anything I would participate in.

Post June 13th, 2013, 8:29 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

It's a turn-based game where players pick coasters and try to fill their own park with the best overall selection of coasters.

If any of you want more info, here are the topics of previous years:
http://www.coastercrazy.com/forum/topic ... C_ID=27635
http://www.coastercrazy.com/forum/topic ... C_ID=26482

Post June 13th, 2013, 4:47 pm
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 44.00 Points
Bank: 4,333.00 Points
You could add two extra rounds and then have the contestants eliminate the best and worst rides each user chose. Based on majority rules or something like it.

Post June 13th, 2013, 6:09 pm

Points on hand: 1,343.00 Points
Bank: 826.00 Points
I like the idea of neutralization. Instead of everybody having one coaster to eliminate, people could opt for the option to eliminate somebody's pick at the end of the draft. This would be an alternative to a pick. Like in the 7th round if I wanted to get rid of Boulder Dash because I have El Toro, I could do so if I sacrifice a pick.

Post June 13th, 2013, 11:31 pm

Points on hand: 92.00 Points
Bank: 1,341.05 Points
Originally posted by jdmi012

I like the idea of neutralization. Instead of everybody having one coaster to eliminate, people could opt for the option to eliminate somebody's pick at the end of the draft. This would be an alternative to a pick. Like in the 7th round if I wanted to get rid of Boulder Dash because I have El Toro, I could do so if I sacrifice a pick.

Or a better idea which would force people to think tactically and competitively; Each round you have a choice: pick a coaster or eliminate someone's pick from the previous round. But if you choose the latter, you don't get a pick for the current round.
Originally posted by GerstlCrazy
Cool! The name is Fly Over Rainforest?
I was under the impression the name was Green Coaster Goes Fast Goes High Has Clockwise Loop Has Straight Upside Down Four Seats Two On Each Side Fast Coaster?

Post June 14th, 2013, 12:24 am

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
I understand the reasoning behind this possible rule, but a draft without the top coasters just doesn't seem right, so my question would be would the become available after a certain point or would they like not be availble the whole game?
What are these for?

Post June 14th, 2013, 8:06 am
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
I'm with CKidd on it not seeming right. Could we potentially have a penalty for choosing a top 10 ride? like skip a turn or remain last pick for 2 turns or something?
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post June 14th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Points on hand: 143.00 Points
Bank: 3,000.00 Points
I think there should be a vote to eliminate one of each player's best coasters at the end of the draft but allow a trade round after that where you can trade rides that you already have for something that nobody has picked yet or trade two or three of your coasters (dependent on their size or ranking) for a ride that was eliminated. I would probably stick the number of rounds of picking to 10 with said rule, but lower the number of rounds if there are a ton of players.
RIP
Log Jammer, SFMM
1971-2011
Originally posted by richie5126
T: all newtons on this site are smooth so this must be high.

Post June 14th, 2013, 9:09 pm
bockzilla User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 140.00 Points

How about in the first round let everyone pick 1 of the top 4 coasters. After that round the top 4 coaster are no longer available.
If you are going to make a scene, be seen.

Post June 15th, 2013, 8:44 am

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

There a lot more excellent coasters on that level out there. I say let it be. I have won without any of those (3 years in a row?)

Post June 15th, 2013, 1:14 pm
yoshifreak Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 241.00 Points
^I thought Hyyyper won last year? I agree, I don't think any coasters should be excluded. There's no guarantee that a park with one of those coasters will win, plus picking at the lower end of the next few rounds as the order cycles is designed to even out such an issue. I think another work around to this would be to increase the rounds. A "popular" coaster is less likely to stand out in a park of 12 coasters vs. a park of 8.

Edit: I have one other idea which may be interesting. Players vote on a number of top coasters which would be set up in a pool. These coasters would then be randomly dealt out to the competitors and then they would have to build a park around that coaster. Sure, it'd still be random and some people would get more popular coasters than others, but it wouldn't be as much of a choice.

Post June 15th, 2013, 1:47 pm

^^I didn't say it was last year.

^That idea is dumb too. Let all coasters be available. Smartest person will come out no matter what.

Post June 15th, 2013, 9:34 pm

If we really wanted to make it difficult, no park can really be a dream park. Every park in the world has restrictions. Maybe each competitor's park has a restriction that makes some coasters unavailable to him. Examples could be like a height ordinance, or landlocked. Or maybe your park doesn't deal with a certain manufacturer. This would make it more difficult to create a great park and the top 4 probably couldn't be picked in the 1st go.

Post June 16th, 2013, 12:57 am

I actually kind of like that idea, it'll make it different, but all coasters would still be available. it would have to be done at random though like drawing numbers to see who goes first
What are these for?

Post June 16th, 2013, 2:28 pm

Points on hand: 2,597.00 Points
The simple way to do this is how any other type of Fantasy Draft is done. Rather than bumping people up one spot in the order like in previous years (which is really dumb), you just reverse the order in the next round, so if 15 people are playing, the person who picks first doesn't pick again until 30. They get a #1 ride but then other people get picks of two lesser rides before they get a second.

Post June 16th, 2013, 9:38 pm

Post June 16th, 2013, 11:35 pm

That is probably the easiest way to fix it. The idea of having restrictions just sounds more intriguing and adds a bit of a twist that we don see here anymore
What are these for?

Post June 17th, 2013, 1:20 am

^I'm glad you appreciate the idea! The biggest flaw I see is coming up with balanced restrictions and a large amount of them.

Post June 17th, 2013, 1:30 am

Points on hand: 92.00 Points
Bank: 1,341.05 Points
I don't think it would be so hard, though. If, for example, 15 people are playing, you come up with 15 different restrictions for the park. So we could have one park with "height restriction of 200 feet" And then "No B&M" or "No Intamin" etc, etc. And then a page with a "password" value is temporarily set up, all the restrictions randomized and assigned to a number inside the page. When a player is given a number, they go to that page, enter their number, and they have their restriction. Post a screen cap or something that shows your restriction and then on to the draft!
Originally posted by GerstlCrazy
Cool! The name is Fly Over Rainforest?
I was under the impression the name was Green Coaster Goes Fast Goes High Has Clockwise Loop Has Straight Upside Down Four Seats Two On Each Side Fast Coaster?

Post June 17th, 2013, 3:46 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Hey guys, thanks for your responses!

I've seen some good (and bad) suggestions.

I'm leave this topic open for another week or two, so you can all have a say in this.

As for now, I haven't heard many people who are happy with neutralizing coasters, and I agree with that. Other ideas were posted, but I don't think they'll work as the Coaster Draft itself is already complex enough.

I also liked the suggestion to flip the picking order each round. I've heard of it before and nobody had any complaints about the 'bumping up' system. But it's a great idea and I think I'll test it out this year.

Return to Contests