Board index Roller Coaster Games Hard Hat Area 3D coaster

3D coaster

The Hard Hat Area is the place to post construction news about your ride, so this is the place to hype your future upload!

Post July 28th, 2009, 7:59 am

Points on hand: 1,125.00 Points
Before I start I'd like to say hi to everyone, this is my first post here. [:)]
So, I've started a project, it isn't a NoLimits projects and neither no RCT-project. The idea is to develope a technique for myself which would allow me create 3D roller coasters with the help of 3D applications and tools. I'm currently working in Cinema 4D but I might have to involve Maya or Realflow later to simulate the train (not sure if I'll make it through that part, but I'm gonna give it a shot [:)] ).

I've modelled an intamin track, attached it to a spline and fixed automatic heartlining so far. Here's a quick render of the current status:

I'll keep you updated! [8D]
Last edited by Bye Tom on July 28th, 2009, 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post July 28th, 2009, 9:12 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,823.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Looks very cool!

I've been doing a similar thing on Autodesk Inventor, the only difference being that mine is B&M.

Have you managed to make it so that you can simply build the heartline as a simple line drawing and then the program builds an automated pre-modelled track offset a specified distance from the heartline? If you understand what I mean.

Or have you simply modelled up what we can see in the picture.

I don't know if I explained all that very well [lol] but I tried!

Post July 28th, 2009, 9:21 am

Points on hand: 59.00 Points

Nice model sofar! In the beginning it's pretty damn difficult to get the track to do what you want it to do, but if you figured it out, it's allot easier then creating a track with NL (atleast, that's what i think).

Since you can shape the heartline and can choose if you want to track to lead it. In that case you get a perfectly heartlined coaster! So you can work the other way around than NL does =) If you get more experience, you can design a coaster in you're 3d software, export you're 3d model and recreate it in NoLimits! I've tried it once and it works pretty damn good! I've got a couple of 3d coaster models, check them at my portfolio: http://renesebastian.nl/3d-renderings

Good luck with the rest!

Post July 28th, 2009, 9:48 am

Points on hand: 535.00 Points
My god...your models are amazing...you did stuff for parks???

Holy...
"Don't be a disability"... yep, still keeping that. :P

Post July 28th, 2009, 11:28 am

gouldy: Yeah, the model of the track is offset so that the center of the track is about a meter above the track. And the track isn't automatically generated, I modelled about a meter of straight track and duplicated the model several times, then I apply the straight track to a spline.

coasterchi: Wow! That's some really nice work you've got there, very impressive! :O I hope that I can recieve more feedback from you as you seem to have lots of experience with 3D coasters. [:)]

I tried creating a lifthill and drop and it turned pretty well I think:

Post July 28th, 2009, 11:40 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

coasterchi; you use Autodesk 3ds Max, no? What package of that did you go for? How much was it? Do you find it easy to use? and had you ever used any other Autodesk software before you used 3ds max?

a lot of questions perhaps, I know, but I've had an interest in getting it for a little while, being as there is opportunity for me to possibly get it for free at work.

Post July 28th, 2009, 4:21 pm

gouldly, you should ask yourself what you want to use 3D platform for. However, if the only 3D application you could get from your work is 3ds I'd say go for it, 3D applications are expensive, the "cheaper" ones such as 3ds, or c4d is about 3 grands.

Post July 29th, 2009, 3:04 am

Points on hand: 59.00 Points

Originally posted by gouldy

coasterchi; you use Autodesk 3ds Max, no?

Yes i use Autodesk 3ds Max to create the models and use a render plugin called 'Vray' to render the models.

coasterchi;What package of that did you go for?

No package, i got 3ds Max at school, so it was my first :)

coasterchi;How much was it?

For free, i got 1 copy at work and i got another copy as a gift from my work.

coasterchi;Do you find it easy to use? and had you ever used any other Autodesk software before you used 3ds max?

What is easy and what isn't? It's just how quick you can pick up things and how much time you want to invist in learning something new. Yet to be said; you have to got some feeling for working in 3d mode and views. But if you are an experienced NL user, you got a real good basic skill level :) And no, i did not use another Autodesk program.

Originally posted by Bye Tom

coasterchi;I hope that I can recieve more feedback from you as you seem to have lots of experience with 3D coasters.

Sure, no problem! Although i have to say you started out with the most difficult track-type there is! My advice; go start around with tracktypes like B&M or another tracktype with a solid backbone. You learn more about how to quick model your coasters and is usefull for new projects :)

Post July 29th, 2009, 5:23 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

a "gift" from work, ey [;)].

I use Autodesk Inventor at work all day, every day, and have done for about 2 and a half years, so I'm really quite experienced with it, and also have a "gift" version of it on my hope computer. The software package we have is very powerful, for use with designing machines and costs about ?????????9000 a lisence, but it just doesn't have the 3D rendering capabilities I see with 3ds max and also won't export to anything you can use in NoLimits.

Basically, I love 3D modelling, and when at home I like to model up coasters and themeing for coasters, but the upshot of it is, I can't do anything with them, because the renderings aren't great so aren't really worthy of showing off and I can't use them for NL, so once they're done, they just sit there [V]

Return to Hard Hat Area