Board index Roller Coaster Games 3D Modeling Discussion 3Ds to fit track

3Ds to fit track

Discuss anything related to 3D modeling from 3ds Max to Object Creator. Have a question? Get it answered here!

Post February 5th, 2014, 8:18 pm

Points on hand: 2,485.00 Points
Okay so, Say that I want to make a darkride, and I have the entire track done. Would there be a way to export the track to blender or something so I can make 3ds around it? If not, what other way could I do it?

Post February 5th, 2014, 10:25 pm
Goku1910 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,514.00 Points
Bank: 2,212.00 Points
No, you're best bet is to use the grid. If you used newton or something to build the ride, do what I would. import the coaster from newton to NL1 and then use construction kit to export it to 3DS.

Post February 6th, 2014, 1:01 am
Metazoanhaddock User avatar

Points on hand: 3,282.00 Points
Bank: 52,337.00 Points
use the construction kit
Head Moderator
Director, Structural Engineer - PEAK Amusements
Site Contest Judge (Supporting)
Chatroom Admin

Post February 6th, 2014, 1:09 am

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points
Latest version of fvd++ has a great 3ds export feature I'm pretty sure

Post February 6th, 2014, 2:41 am

Points on hand: 2,652.00 Points
Bank: 2,739.00 Points

construction kit is not compatible with NL2. I tried doing it for my Riddler's Revenge recreation and CK won't recognize the file extension type.
"if you found your laughin' place, how come you ain't laughin'."https://www.facebook.com/calicoaster1/

Post February 6th, 2014, 4:32 pm
Goku1910 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

....Which is why I said this:

Originally posted by Goku1910

No, you're best bet is to use the grid. If you used newton or something to build the ride, do what I would. import the coaster from newton to NL1 and then use construction kit to export it to 3DS.

You really have no choice....Use the grid in the editor to determine the distance. Use the no roof option and freeze the coaster so you can measure the trough and station. Then just try-and-error until it matches up.

Post February 6th, 2014, 10:21 pm

...and for those of us who don't use Newton? How would you do this in the nl2 editor?
"if you found your laughin' place, how come you ain't laughin'."https://www.facebook.com/calicoaster1/

Post February 6th, 2014, 11:01 pm
Goku1910 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Originally posted by spacemountainfan619

...and for those of us who don't use Newton? How would you do this in the nl2 editor?

DID YOU EVEN READ THIS? I said IF you used Newton, then I mentioned the grid. "IF" is the key word. :|

You really have no choice....Use the grid in the editor to determine the distance. Use the no roof option and freeze the coaster so you can measure the trough and station. Then just try-and-error until it matches up.

Post February 7th, 2014, 1:05 am

I did read and I was simply asking if you knew of an alternate way for those of us who do not use Newton. There is no reason to get snippy. If you do not know of a way a simple "no" would suffice.

Post February 7th, 2014, 2:35 am
Goku1910 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

I did give you an alternate way. If you don't use newton or FVD, you're only option is to use the grid and measure it yourself. Try-and error it like I do until it fits right. Use the simple station (no roof) and put yours on top of it. Keep adjusting it until the floor height, etc is the same.

Developers on twitter said they're looking into a 3DS export. I can only hope because like you, I prefer to build around it.

Post February 7th, 2014, 2:39 am

Points on hand: 3,816.00 Points

A 3DS export would be a huge help. I am working on a ride myself that takes place indoors. While I have the main building and launch tunnel made, a lot of this was done with trial and error. There's still the exposed station and brake run. I almost feel like putting this one on hold until there's an easier way to do such. Thankfully the building isn't anything complex, just a big metal warehouse.

Image Insert:
461.08 KB

Image Insert:
814.75 KB
Thrills by the Bay - Your #1 News Source for Bay Area Parks!
http://thrillsbythebay.blogspot.com

Return to 3D Modeling Discussion