Board index Public Relations Site Related A special request....

A special request....

Posts that are directly related to the site.

Post April 17th, 2006, 7:42 pm

Points on hand: 9,043.00 Points

I've been a member of this site since 02/03/2004 and I have to say that lot of things changed,or better,maybe,the users changed.
I was looking at the ratings and at the topics in the forums and I realized that,for many of you,the most important interest is to have a high rate of your creations or to penalize other ones.
This site is not a general match,there are the contests for this one!!!
Try to be "professional",this is the main point that has always distinguished coastercrazy.com.I'm really downloading a low number of coasters and rating almost none.
I know that there are new rules,I made first some mistakes,but try to put "something"in creations not for a high rating but just to share a special ride that makes people enjoy!Try to rate seriously,if you want to do it.Or just download rides to create a great collection like mine.

This topic does not want to be a critic to anyone(maybe it is useless too),but this is just my actual feeling,even if I would like to know if the older users noticed this difference like me.
So...thanx for your attention and remember that coastercrazy.com ROCKS!

Post April 17th, 2006, 7:54 pm

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

Good post barone -- glad to see you have joined the select few of designers who have said the same thing for years now. However, n00bs are n00bs ... idiots are idiots ... and clueless people are still clueless. Nothing has changed in that department and nothing will change -- but if you want affect change, find a way to get rid of idiocy in the exchange and you might be onto something. Still, good post though - welcome to the club my friend, we've been waiting for you. ;-)
Sometimes the best thing to say is nothing at all.

Post April 17th, 2006, 8:43 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,115.00 Points

YAY me too.......some of the folks who've posted my favorites won't even post here anymore.. t.j. i said so before , a good solution would be to alter the posting/rating system. a member can choose to post a ride for rates or for comments only. people who've posted rides for rates cannot rate rides for the week it's posted. that way no one has to wonder if their ride was rated low to ensure a meedal for the ride posted by the low rater. this way those of us who just want to SHARE a creation can do so without worrying about some jackass rating it so low that no one will download it. another thing that has bothered me is that people are doing it RCT style, where the ride is "technicaly smooth" but comes out looking like a cartoon... i like rides that are a little of both. no limits does seem to have some limits.. if you perfect a ride too much it starts to look silly. but i think that the new crowd is a "computer" crowd, and the old crowd is the "rollercoaster" crowd..

Post April 17th, 2006, 8:54 pm

Points on hand: 7,382.00 Points
Preach the gospel boys!!!!!

I do think it has gotten better lately, but I agree that a lot of good posters (ahem, ahem, Tcon) have faded away. I have always loved Barone's rides, yet there seems to be an undercurrent of resentment against him that tends to manifest itself in a bunch of crap rates. I look at him kind of like the anti-Tyler. Just as talented, without the constant complaining about not recieving perfect scores. I really appreciate Tyler's designs to the site, but do we really want a constant dialogue in every ride post about how stupid someone's rates are? Tyler is but one example of this kind of inflamitory behavior. Though to some extent, we are all guilty as members of a community for alloaing the posts to get this way.

It would be great to have a VIP rating group that only established members can vote on. Not for necessarily for competition, but for fun and the act of sharing your creation with other creative and respectful members. In no way am I implying that the ratings become soft, but at least become consistent. Guys like Tyler should appreciate a system like that. If not, show em the domain's door.

Oh lord, I feel a sense of Deja Vu with this rant.[xx(]

Post April 17th, 2006, 9:07 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

i'm working on a couple of reposts right now, either of you wanna go for a ride?

Post April 17th, 2006, 9:53 pm

Post April 17th, 2006, 10:05 pm

Points on hand: 2,651.00 Points

Great post Barone, this is a problem that seems to be growing, I can remember the days of GFA and Elfman before his years away, and back then for whatever reason there were many fewer poor rates, and a large amount of very good thorough rates. It's a shame the site is not like that anymore, but IMO this can only lead to the current noobs and so forth learning as time goes on, and hopefully this will mean another peak for the WWS community in the coming years. However, WWS is still a great site, and those who do give honest helpful rates are much appreciated throughout the community, let's all try to remember that this is only a game designed for our enjoyment, and let's keep it that way. [approve]

edit*-Adding to the whole noobs becoming good members in the future, I like to think of all of the spammers and idiots of today's WWS as potential Dirk's. They may be annoying now, but eventually hopefully they will become great contributing members just as Dirk has done, IMO he's gone from an annoying spammer to one of my personal favorite WWS members. So maybe, in a year or two, we'll be filled with many more great members who will make WWS even greater than it is today. *end optimism*

Post April 17th, 2006, 10:42 pm

Points on hand: 3,415.00 Points

I agree Barone, but I cannot say I have done the right thing. I know that I'm usually very pushy about getting my rides rated, but that probably worked against me. The reason I was like that about some of my rides is because it's very frustrating when you upload something spectacular, expecting it to be an instant hit and instead gets no ratings for like 3 weeks. Well I will not push to get my rides rated anymore. I will still place advertisements to talk about each of my rides. This blindness that people have to my creations, as well as the creations of other great SM users, has caused me to consider buying NL to get myself more well known as a pro designer, rather than just an outcast. I am just trying to decide if SM2 may be better than NL.

Post April 17th, 2006, 11:31 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Originally posted by TConwell

You know where to find me man ...
i can't find the adress.

Post April 18th, 2006, 6:35 am

Points on hand: 9,043.00 Points

I'm really glad to be part of this club even if I cannot and I've not been as "present"as I would have to 'cause my job brings me often abroad.
But I think I'm one of the biggest examples of how things change.Look at my first coasters and look now.There is a huge difference.I have some fans now.This is GREAT,this makes me PROUD and I think this is the right spirit!
So let's keep high the quality of this site!

Post April 18th, 2006, 7:01 am

Points on hand: 3,285.00 Points

I've said this before. The ratings are horrible. No one wants a rate with one line saying "Great Ride! Omfg!"

Me and Tconwell have the same issue at my board and I think Tc deals with it in a funny but serious way. [;)]

Anyway. I already told Wws on messenger he needs to sort them out. So he does know.

Not to be nasty or anything to the site but this is the reason why non of my tracks don't get uploaded here anymore. I would love a high rating ride but not whens it's from a noob who doesn't know what a good ride is. Not to say my rides are bad or anything.

I agree with all you. [:)]

Post April 18th, 2006, 8:18 am

Jay: tconwell@knology.net

Matt: Well said.

barone: We have all improved over time, the problem is when you see rates like D-86's here: http://www.coastercrazy.com/track_excha ... p?tid=9913 you have to begin to wonder when it will all make sense and we will try to help one another by being honest. I guess you could say, it all still comes down to knowing how to rate.
Sometimes the best thing to say is nothing at all.

Post April 18th, 2006, 9:05 am

Another thing.

Disable the comments. They cause nothing but trouble. People only use them to snipe at other people when rating. Then when people go to rate they have to make a nice clear rate.

I'm also going to suggest on putting a link to a ratings guide on every download page. Maybe under the download link. If you need a ratings guide you can always rely on me [:)]

People would have to follow this guide otherwise it gets removed. It's harsh but the crap will stop instantly.

Regards.
Matt.

Post April 18th, 2006, 9:16 am
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,602.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

Disabling the comments is a no, members asked for it and it was delivered. Can't punish everyone for what some of the members do. Ratings guide,,, there's one around the site somewhere shaggy wrote a while back. Might need updating and linking from the ratings page not from the download page.
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post April 18th, 2006, 9:24 am

No offence to you or your team but this is where your admin power has to kick in.

You can't just have the comments because they asked for it. It's almost like they are "telling" you what to do.

You have to take a stand and say "Actually, I'm the admin and I don't think the comments are a good idea."

If anyone decides to leave after that remark it's not worth keeping them on the site imo.

Thats my 2 cents.

Post April 18th, 2006, 11:39 am
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,602.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

if it was a bad addition, it would have been gone, like other additions done before... about admin power, last I heard we heard we were on a power trip lately [lol]
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post April 18th, 2006, 11:43 am

[lol] @ that interaction ...

Anyway, I think the comments are good, it is the morons who cannot speak intelligently without starting fights intentionally that hoses things up for everyone.

Return to Site Related