Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Alton Towers - Thirteen

Alton Towers - Thirteen

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post December 26th, 2009, 6:44 pm
slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,728.00 Points
so has the drop trac been confirmed yet or is it still just a rumor?
Boulder Dash was the only good roller coaster.

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

Post December 26th, 2009, 6:58 pm

Points on hand: 155.00 Points
Originally posted by slosprint

so has the drop trac been confirmed yet or is it still just a rumor?

not confirmed, but the track pieces that are up suggest that there is a 99.999% chance of the track going vertically down like a lift. no tilting action at all.

Post December 26th, 2009, 8:31 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
http://www.flickr.com/photos/altontower ... 157354437/

Does this look sketchy to anyone else? Perhaps the picture angle was tampered with but that looks quite odd.

Post December 26th, 2009, 8:34 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,943.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

I had actually questioned that picture myself, but ended up concluding that it must be the angle or lense type, or something like that. I don't think that Intamin's modern shaping would be off, or at least that's what I'm thinking.

Post December 26th, 2009, 8:39 pm

Originally posted by GerstlCrazy

http://www.flickr.com/photos/altontowersresort/4157354437/

Does this look sketchy to anyone else? Perhaps the picture angle was tampered with but that looks quite odd.

wide angle photos, which you can tell it is cos of the angle and the shallow depth of field (which is more to do with the aperture of the camera, but generally happens more at wider angles) as well as the greater distortion at the edges etc, always exagerate the percieved distance between objects. If you look at the supports, the hill is far closer than it appears. (as well as looking at the cross ties)

Post December 26th, 2009, 8:58 pm
slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

that might eventually be inside of a building, the angle might be meant to disorientate riders.

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

Post December 26th, 2009, 9:01 pm

Originally posted by slosprint

that might eventually be inside of a building, the angle might be meant to disorientate riders.

no it's the bottom of the main drop. The only bits inside a building are the horizontal drop track. (there's plans on towerstime.co.uk)

Post December 26th, 2009, 10:59 pm

Points on hand: 1,105.00 Points
gouldy sees my dream... (thats one person that likes it on this site).

Where exactly are the plans?

Post December 26th, 2009, 11:45 pm
slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

the theming on this reminds me of lord of the rings. also, this is being dubbed a psycoaster in that it affects riders physically and emotionally. I bet in one of the indoor rooms the train is going to stop and some psychologist is going to walk in and talk about why everyone should hate their lives. then, once he is done and all the riders are sad and depressed, he will walk out and pull a lever, activating the drop track.

Post December 26th, 2009, 11:47 pm

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points

Post December 26th, 2009, 11:50 pm
slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

hmmm... it obviously wasn't clear that i was being satirical. from now on when i am joking i will write *the following is a joke* or perhaps *what you have just read was a joke*

Post December 27th, 2009, 12:11 am

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
Sorry, even as a joke I didn't/don't find any humor in that paragraph, which is more of the reason why I posted what I did.

Post December 27th, 2009, 10:25 am

Points on hand: 2,506.00 Points

I dont know if you remember, but before the track was placed, there was a huuuggee hole in the middle of the construction site, and it seemed to be near where the secret weapon would be. Now that this hole is inside the secret weapon building, do you think that it will have some effect on what the secret weapon will be?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2009/370 ... 0f41_b.jpg

Not sure if youve already covered this, but it was just something that came into my head.

Post December 27th, 2009, 10:43 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

it's where the gear underneath the section of drop track disappears when the drop track drops. But the hole that you are showing there, is the beginning of a tunnel. You'll see when you're next there, but I'll tell you for now, the whole of that backwards helix is below ground level in a concrete hole, the beginnings of which are shown in that picture.

Post December 27th, 2009, 11:02 am

Points on hand: 2,506.00 Points

Post January 13th, 2010, 8:44 am

Points on hand: 3,283.00 Points

New photos have appeared of the station building progressing. I have to say themeing wise this ride look as though it is going to be my favourite at alton. The whole mysterious gothic theme is just what the whole towers area of the park represents, and this ride really plays on that well. (Having said this i still hate the name. Where has the originality gone of names like Oblivion and Nemesis?) Anyway, here are the pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/altontowersresort/

I only have one gripe with the themeing so far, and that is the fact that they have left the metal wall open which really detracts from the station IMO. Having said this however, the rest of the themeing really does make up for it. I just can't wait to see whats in this building. Im just hoping they are not themeing the ride to death to try and hide the fact that this special feature is a load of bull.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/altontower ... 271330324/

Post January 13th, 2010, 9:37 am
slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Those guys aren't getting paid to build amazing snow sculptures! back to work!

Post January 13th, 2010, 10:03 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

In all fairness, it wasn't them that did it, they just had a photo took in it, but still, the ride would be open quicker if they stopped chuffin' about [lol]

I agree with Jpe about the steel structure still showing through, that does really kinda suck. I hope they do end up covering it in some manner, if you look at the rest of the themeing, it's obviously not finished, so hopefully that's not its final state. Although I bet it is [lol]

Post January 13th, 2010, 11:36 am

Points on hand: 1,075.00 Points
^no, its alton towers... That is the kind of thing thorpe park do e.g. the roof/back of nemesis inferno. Although this is their first coaster since merlin came to power...

Post January 13th, 2010, 12:12 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

yeah, the ugly looking steel box maintenance buildings that are on every ride built by Tussauds is testiment to that. Look at them on Nemesis, Air, Rita, Spinball, Nemsis Inferno, Stealth... well you know the drill, all of them have horrible ugly corregated steel box maintenance buildings.

Post January 13th, 2010, 1:18 pm

I really wish Alton didnt cut corners like they do now. Nemesis and Oblivion seem totally complete themeing wise, but from Air onwards its just like they get to a point where the themeing looks good, but isnt totally complete and think "ahhh that'll do, guests will get the jist, and we'll get their money".

I really thought this ride was going to be different, but if that metal wall is still there when this ride opens, i will be sorely disappointed in Altons lazy attitude. You cant just theme parts and then just leave others. In my opinion its all or nothing, and seeing as they've gone to the lengths they've gone too, it would be foolish of them not to cover those metal walls. However, like i said before, the rest of the ride looks beautiful. SO we cant complain too much.

Post January 13th, 2010, 4:45 pm

That is where the drop track is, so; fingers crossed that is just to protect the innards whilst the weather is crap...

Post January 13th, 2010, 7:11 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

I don't think that there is any doubt that it is permanent, it's whether or not they cover it up that is the question. Looking at some of the other themeing, like the tree on the front of the building, I'd say the themeing isn't yet finished on that building, so we can but hope!

Post January 14th, 2010, 10:49 am

Post January 14th, 2010, 2:25 pm

^then again, that does not show a picture of a huge tree on the side; or a petrified wraith so the design is probably outdated

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!