Board index Off Topic Board Fun and Games American rides vs UK Rides

American rides vs UK Rides

All forum games go here.

Post September 1st, 2010, 1:18 pm

Points on hand: 850.00 Points
I know there is probably already a forum about this but just to refresh it heres a little debate space. Also I would ask english coaster fans to go easy on the americans seeing as they have a very poor argument

Post September 1st, 2010, 1:19 pm

sorry for putting in wrong category just noticed. any way to change it?

Post September 1st, 2010, 1:28 pm

Points on hand: 6,869.00 Points
Well, first of all, you should edit your post instead of double posting.

Second of all, a mod or admin will do it for you. Or they won't care.

Post September 1st, 2010, 3:11 pm

Points on hand: 5,889.00 Points
First of all, we have parks and rides named after our county [:D]

-American Eagle
-Marriott's Great America (2x)
-Little Amerricka
-Great American Scream Machine
-Six Flags America

I can't think of one ride named after England or the UK.
American Eagle Lover

Post September 1st, 2010, 3:16 pm
TheArchitect User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 501,147.00 Points
Bank: 498,048.00 Points
what is there to argue about? Although i'm patriotic and love what is/used to be England we don't exactly have theme park after theme park full of massive coasters.

We basically have Thorpe, Alton & Blackpool.
No real height/speed record breakers. Yes, Colossus has 10 inversions, Oblivion was the first Vertical drop, Air the first B&M Flyer. But where is our Cedar Point? Where are all the woodies and massively tall coasters?

Post September 1st, 2010, 3:26 pm
GavG Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 973.00 Points
Bank: 950.00 Points
I agree with TheArchitect apart from our old woodies in BPB ;)

We have good and bad coasters like any other country, every coaster is an experiance that unless cloned is different to all others, enjoy each for what it is. Big isn't always best.

Post September 1st, 2010, 3:29 pm
TheArchitect User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 501,147.00 Points
Bank: 498,048.00 Points
^ true...

I know Blackpool has wood, but what about Thorpe and Alton? and yeah, at least we don't have two of the same ride lol.

Post September 1st, 2010, 3:47 pm

Points on hand: 5,761.00 Points

we dont need big or tall in the uk, yes there are some but not a huge amount but look at what the UK does have, its got alot more experience rides.
saw the ride, nemesis, oblivion, vampire, raptar attack ect

we may not build big or fast but we provide one hell of alot more thrill per ft and track.

plus does the UK have a majour coaster thats just errected ontop of a parking lot? i dont think so.
Making screams come true

Post September 1st, 2010, 3:59 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Originally posted by gazag

plus does the UK have a majour coaster thats just errected ontop of a parking lot? i dont think so.

http://www.rcdb.com/2555.htm?p=21303

Also there is a ride in the UK named "Grand Canyon", so they have American based names too!
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post September 1st, 2010, 4:27 pm

Points on hand: 5,761.00 Points

Originally posted by Coasterkidmwm

Originally posted by gazag

http://www.rcdb.com/2555.htm?p=21303

Also there is a ride in the UK named "Grand Canyon", so they have American based names too!

majour coaster i said coaster kid, how is that comparable to scream?
and since the area is american themed yes it would be named after an american place. were just not a bunch of self loving flag huggers so we dont have british themed places, we live in briton so why go to a place that is themed after our own country? the clossed we do that is camelot and thats totally fiction
Making screams come true

Post September 1st, 2010, 4:52 pm

Points on hand: 872.00 Points
Americans listen to the national anthem before they go into the park, here we dont.

Do I realy need to say more?

Post September 1st, 2010, 5:05 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
I've never done that...ever.

Then again I'm a "liberal science fag" who "hates america" according to some.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post September 1st, 2010, 5:34 pm

Points on hand: 77.00 Points

Post September 2nd, 2010, 4:25 am

Originally posted by Jonny Richey

First of all, we have parks and rides named after our county [:D]

-American Eagle
-Marriott's Great America (2x)
-Little Amerricka
-Great American Scream Machine
-Six Flags America

I can't think of one ride named after England or the UK.

That's not really an argument you can use- You've got CITIES named after english places

Anyway Americans think a rollercoaster has to be huge to be any good and can build their rides to fit the landscape, but apart from disney, most american coasters are dumped on parking lots

Post September 2nd, 2010, 5:49 am

Points on hand: 3,805.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
ok, oblivionfreak i'mma go ahead and stop you right there, firstly, not -all- americans think that bigger is better. yes, it is a popular opinion but it does not encompass the entire of america, especially those of the coaster community. secondly, bigger -can- be better, do you not think we would have built bigger? it's not because we're p**sies, it's because our government and councils hate everything so merlin can't do much in terms of building particularly tall, even thorpe park has restrictions due to its proximity to an airport or they would have built stealth taller.
coasters are not better in england or in america, america has some truly epic coasters, but as do we, we have nemesis, we -had- thunder looper (r.i.p) and we have megafobia. all incredible rides, but notice how the didn't take up much space?
then america has kingda ka, millenium force and nitro, coasters that are behemoth in size, but still tonnes of fun. the size is more of a fear thing, to get your blood pumping. you'll s**t yourself a whole lot more at 300ft than 50ft, you don't have to be a scientist to know that. america just builds big because the populace who know very little about getting the best from a coaster believe that bigger, faster and more inversions is better. we have epicly good coasters because the small space makes us. america have epicly large and still very good coasters because they have the space. until we can build as big as america, you can't really compare the two "classes" of ride.
i still think british is better though.
YAY HYPOCRISY
Cradled by two loving arms that I'd die for,
One little kiss and Felina goodbye.

Post September 2nd, 2010, 8:08 am

Points on hand: 3,043.00 Points

Originally posted by RCT-3-Crazy

Americans listen to the national anthem before they go into the park, here we dont.

Do I realy need to say more?

Absolutely nobody does that.

Post September 2nd, 2010, 9:20 am
slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,728.00 Points
Cedar Point forces you to sit through the national anthem before park opening (early admission at least), But that is the only park I have been to that does so.
Boulder Dash was the only good roller coaster.

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

Post September 2nd, 2010, 1:04 pm

Points on hand: 209.00 Points
Bank: 311.00 Points
Dang,this is a breedplace of ignorance and spammer(s),I agree with Adrenaguy,couldn't be explained better.

Post September 2nd, 2010, 1:24 pm

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
Most American coasters are dumped on parking lots? Pretty sure that's a 100% fabricated statement.

England doesn't have that many good rides. America has tons of great rides. Heck, I have more great rides than all of England within 8 hours of me.

Match this...good luck:

El Toro
Kingda Ka
Nitro
Batman The Ride

Storm Runner
Fahrenheit

Talon

Boulder Dash

Bizarro SFNE

Phoenix
Twister

Phantom's Revenge

Millennium Force
Top Thrill Dragster
Maverick
Raptor
Wicked Twister

Superman SFA

Intimidator 305
Volcano
Dominator

Griffon
Apollo's Chariot
Alpengeist

Now add in all the other decent coasters I didn't include (Bizarro GAdv, Superman GAdv, Batwing, Hydra, Batman Dark Knight, Mantis, etc.), plus Midwest and West coast rides and you'll see there's no comparison. btw, out of all these, only 2 were put in a parking lot.

Post September 2nd, 2010, 3:12 pm

Give me 5 of those coasters where the rollercoaster interacts with the environment at all

Post September 2nd, 2010, 3:48 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
Boulder Dash
Bizarro
Twister
Phantom's Revenge
Maverik
Volcano
Griffon
Apollo's Chariot
Alpengeist

Please, OblivionFreak, do your homework before posting such dumb things. We know our coasters and there is no way you are going to win this argument.

Post September 2nd, 2010, 3:59 pm

Points on hand: 1,676.00 Points
Installation of ride on parking lot = lazy. Like the majority of Americans. We have some great rides in America and the UK has some great rides. I see no point of argument.

Post September 2nd, 2010, 4:07 pm
SauronHimself User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 1,641.00 Points
You also have to remember that the UK has laws prohibiting rides above a certain height. If that law were repealed, England might get something worth admiring.

Post September 2nd, 2010, 4:49 pm

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
Onjin, did you not realize that relatively few American rides are made on parking lots? If there were so many, then nobody would be able to park anyways. C'mon...have an idea what you're talking about before you say it.

Sauron, while that may be true, it does not change the quality or quantity of the rides. Yes England has good rides, and a few great ones, but the fact remains that overall they can't compare to the quality or quantity of American coasters.

Post September 2nd, 2010, 7:03 pm

Points on hand: 5,657.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Personally, I think it is not an equal comparison because England is smaller, tighter, and has less room to expand then America. If England and America were both the same size, I think they would be about equal in turms of coasters and coaster epicness. It really is not a fair argument.

Oh, and Oblivion: suck up your pride about England. Don't go posting threads about which country is better. We all have are opinions and they should all be respected, but creating a war over it is stupid and imo a waste of this website.
[19:34:14] RideWarriorNation: jim
[19:34:27] RideWarriorNation: can you pls change sig
[19:35:22] Jcoasters: ok
[19:35:39] RideWarriorNation: ty

Next

Return to Fun and Games