Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Any Suggestions?

Any Suggestions?

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post October 31st, 2006, 6:16 pm

Points on hand: 4,906.00 Points

We're doing a book report for european history, we choose the book. Anyone know of any good (preferably 200/less) novels whose story line can be related to something in the Middle Ages?

Just to clear one thing up, the book does not have to be FROM that time period, it just has to have a message that can RELATE to that time period.
Last edited by SMer on October 31st, 2006, 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post October 31st, 2006, 10:16 pm

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

Pat, what type of "relation" to that time are you seeking? How should it relate? Moral challenges? Technological developments? Characters who could have lived then? I read a bunch, but I am not sure I understand the assignment to try to help you out.
Sometimes the best thing to say is nothing at all.

Post October 31st, 2006, 10:30 pm

It can be anything that has to do either directly or indirectly with anything from about the 14th to the 18th century. It can be something about the governments, about wars, anything - so basically anything that had an effect on history is valid.

I'm gonna ask my teacher for some suggestions. The book I have right now is The Price by Machiavelli, which is a good choice, but its a bit boring and I'm finding it extremely difficult to get into.

Post November 1st, 2006, 1:48 am

"The Count of Monte Cristo" might be something to look at as well - it is a deep book, but definitely a literary classic that can relate to really anytime of history.

Post November 1st, 2006, 2:39 am

Points on hand: 2,651.00 Points

Les Miserables. Long and boring at times but a book yu'll have to read at sometime or another anyhow.

Post November 1st, 2006, 5:54 pm

Originally posted by TConwell

"The Count of Monte Cristo" might be something to look at as well - it is a deep book, but definitely a literary classic that can relate to really anytime of history.

(preferably 200/less pages) [;)]

Post November 1st, 2006, 6:50 pm

Well, perhaps there is a pamphlet for "Hamlet" out there. [lol]
You might try cliffs notes maybe?

Post November 1st, 2006, 8:13 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

Post November 1st, 2006, 8:21 pm

Points on hand: 68.00 Points
well this would be cheating but you could try to find a synopsis of a book that you can use

Post November 1st, 2006, 9:08 pm

meh, cliff/sparknotes is good if you just wanna know what happened, but for me especially, I can't just read about what happened and get a thesis from it. thats the case at least for my english class because we have to back it up with quotes

Return to Off Topic Discussion