Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Anyone else like running?

Anyone else like running?

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post October 2nd, 2013, 8:26 pm

Points on hand: 1,085.00 Points
I recently lost 65 pounds (235lbs to 170lbs) and I just started training to run the Flying Pig marathon located in Cincinnati this upcoming May. Right now I can comfortably run 5 miles and I still have a lot of energy. I also plan on running a half Marathon this November also. Anyone here have any tips?
This is not my signature.

Post October 3rd, 2013, 12:41 am

Points on hand: 92.00 Points
Bank: 1,341.05 Points
Pace yourself. Keep your muscles hydrated. Remember that you'll hit your second wind.
Originally posted by GerstlCrazy
Cool! The name is Fly Over Rainforest?
I was under the impression the name was Green Coaster Goes Fast Goes High Has Clockwise Loop Has Straight Upside Down Four Seats Two On Each Side Fast Coaster?

Post October 3rd, 2013, 12:47 am

Points on hand: 5,657.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
I'm not really into running, but I like to road bike at least a couple days a week. Keep it up man! And congrats on your loss!
[19:34:14] RideWarriorNation: jim
[19:34:27] RideWarriorNation: can you pls change sig
[19:35:22] Jcoasters: ok
[19:35:39] RideWarriorNation: ty

Post October 3rd, 2013, 2:13 am

Points on hand: 2,652.00 Points
Bank: 2,739.00 Points

congrats on your recent weightloss. I do enjoy a good run myself, and some of the tips I have learned are as follows:

1) Make sure you have the appropriate footwear for the type of terrain you will be running on the most. A lot of people suffer moderate to severe spinal and foot injuries because their feet are not properly supported. To determine the proper footwear needed, I recommend visiting a running sports specialty store or talking with a doctor who specializes in sports medicine.

2) proper diet, too many people think that they can just carb up and hydrate the morning of a big run, the truth is, the more carbs you load up on the day of the quicker the energy burns off. Hydrate the day before and during the run, this will help you sustain hydration throughout and keep you from dehydrating the first couple miles. Also, try to aoid hot and heavy meals the day before, this helps to prevent abdominal cramps and getting burnt out too soon because your body's metabolism slows down with the typical american dinner (meat and potatoes).The best thing is a fruit and or veggie salad and water for dinner and for breakfast the day of a simple energy bar and a glass of orange juice or a fresh fruit and veggie smoothie, they tend to help with sustaining energy better than a huge pancake breakfast.

3) talk with people who are avid runners and have ran marathons before and learn what worked or didn't work to help them finish the race. A good resource is Competitor magazine, you can find it at Jamba Juice stores, they are free and full of tips for runners and endurance sports enthusiasts.

4)Know your limits. While it is fun and good in the beginning to push yourself beyond what you thought you were capable of, it is good to recognize when you may be pushing too hard and when to slow down; though a marathon is a race, don't feel you have to cross the line first, especially when you have never done it before, the best way to learn your limits and push yourself positively is to keep a log of how many miles you went and how long and on what kind of terrain. Set a new goal each time you go for a run, maybe one day you focus on distance, another day focus on time and maybe every once in a while do both time and distance.

5) Have fun. Obviously you chose this activity because you got some sort of enjoyment out of it, if you get to a point when you no longer enjoy doing it and dread the next time you "have" to do it, maybe it is time to consider another activity.

These are all tips I follow when I run, which reminds me, I haven't been on a run in a while, thanks for the motivation to get back to running and good luck with the marathon.
"if you found your laughin' place, how come you ain't laughin'."https://www.facebook.com/calicoaster1/

Post October 3rd, 2013, 7:56 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
I go too fast and run out of energy cause I'm too impatient (which really means I suck at running and won't admit it. I really should do it more often). I really should run more though.

Friend of mine has told me if you KNOW you can complete half of a race you'll complete the full race from the people cheering and encouraging you. He used to do a half marathon every month or so, but grad school has been absolutely killing him lately.

Also what is your opinion of treadmills? The local track around me flooded so the floor is lumpy in spots and it can surprise you sometimes. I don't run outside because the goddamned pollen makes me have snot missiles.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post October 3rd, 2013, 9:56 am
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,048.00 Points
Running a half marathon next Sunday.

100% agree with making sure you have the right footwear - personally I have zero drop shoes which encourage a barefoot style of running (with some protection) and I've found its help reduce pain in my shins.

Personally can't stand running on a treadmill. Feels less natural, incredibly boring as you don't have scenery or changing terrain to keep it fairly interesting, doesn't exercise your stabilizing muscles in your legs / core and thus will make running a half / full marathon more difficult than if you were doing the same mileage outside.

I think you should definitely look to incorporate some high intensity interval training. Best way to lose weight and helps you improve your pace.
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post October 3rd, 2013, 1:35 pm

Points on hand: 15,350.90 Points
I don't run so much as jog. I'm not a marathon runner but a few months ago I participated in my first 5K race (~3.2 miles). I'm not sure if ~46 minutes is a good time for that, but I didn't really train very much specifically for that. It was just for fun.
I don't like running on a treadmill either. A lot less scenic and fear of accidentally falling and getting scraped by the conveyor belt. If I get tired, I have to lower the speed gradually, I can't just stop.

Post October 3rd, 2013, 11:36 pm

Points on hand: 143.00 Points
Bank: 3,000.00 Points
I run cross country at school and really enjoy it. I definitely third the good footwear will make you run much better comments, if you can find a specialized running store where they'll analyze your gait and fit you with a shoe for your needs (support and cushion). I'd also recommend trying at least one training run of 8-9 miles before your half marathon to make sure you can do most of the distance (adrenaline is usually good for about 3-5 miles extra distance compared to training), by the time you get to a half marathon most of finishing a full is purely mental. Intervals (no more than a mile repeated for a total distance of at least 3 miles) at high intensity are also for building cardio and strength. Dieting and distance running don't mix, eat healthy but don't try to meet calorie goals, protein is really important but carbs are still very valuable, especially the night before a race.
RIP
Log Jammer, SFMM
1971-2011
Originally posted by richie5126
T: all newtons on this site are smooth so this must be high.

Post October 4th, 2013, 1:04 am

Thanks for the responses everyone! I really appreciate it.

Tonight I ran 10 miles in 90 minutes. The most I've done before was 5 but I decided to push my self. Once I hit around the 7 mile mark, I started getting random stitches in my chest and cramps in my stomach. But I managed to push through it and keep my pace with no pain in the end. I guess it's true running is mostly mental. I was born with asthma but I guess I've got my breathing techniques down very well.

I do Fartlek training on steps which is very intense. I've also started lifting so I don't look like a skinny twig. I'm hoping to get a nice 10 speed bike and a roof rack for my car so I can do some cross training.

And for the shoes, I'm looking at getting a really nice pair. But being a college student, I poor lol I live down the road from a running store so they will professionally fit me.

Post October 4th, 2013, 3:07 am

Points on hand: 2,341.00 Points

Post October 4th, 2013, 6:34 am
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,048.00 Points
Originally posted by SkyArrow
I'm not a marathon runner but a few months ago I participated in my first 5K race (~3.2 miles). I'm not sure if ~46 minutes is a good time for that, but I didn't really train very much specifically for that. It was just for fun

If you were running for fun and you enjoyed it then the time doesn't matter either way! Congrats though!

Originally posted by fear the four

Once I hit around the 7 mile mark, I started getting random stitches in my chest and cramps in my stomach.

Yeah with stich you just need to make sure your breathing well and try running with your hands on your hips to stretch out your diaphragm / chest. The key is to know when its normal pain (ie side stich) and when its abnormal pain (like shin splints where you should stop running so that you don't damage yourself!)

Originally posted by fear the four
I do Fartlek training on steps which is very intense. I've also started lifting so I don't look like a skinny twig. I'm hoping to get a nice 10 speed bike and a roof rack for my car so I can do some cross training.

Generally speaking, weight training and long distance running don't mix - your muscle building will suffer the longer distances you run. There will be a balance for your body and your targets - just a matter of finding it!

Coasterkidmwm - why not try High Intensity Interval Training? It'll build up your cardio loads spend considerably less time running, and the idea is to go fast :P

The idea is doing intervals of 80% effort than low effort and repeat this for however long. For instance:

30 seconds 80% speed running
45 seconds walking
30 seconds 80% speed running
45 seconds walking
repeat until you've been doing it for 10 minutes!
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post October 4th, 2013, 10:37 am

I read earlier this week about breathing and getting a stitch. Once the stitch started to bother me I started focusing on my breathing even more. And for the weight training, I'm only doing upperbody. When I lost a lot of weight, I sadly lost some muscle because of some bad eating habits.

Return to Off Topic Discussion