Board index Roller Coaster Games No Limits Coaster Anyone else miss the old days?

Anyone else miss the old days?

Discuss anything involving No Limits Coaster Simulation.

Post October 29th, 2014, 8:46 pm

Points on hand: 4,800.70 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

It seems to me that ever since NL1 came out, the world of coaster designing was completely revolutionized. There was a bit more focus on theming, and there were some great fantasy tracks out there. Nowadays the focus seems to be completely on realism and copying a manufacture's style, and the heavily themed fantasy tracks of yesterday are less common. Also, handbuilding is actually a preferred choice now too, as opposed to when newton was the king. Newton is considered inferior to FVD now, (which it kinda is, but it is MUCH more user-friendly and easy to use) and it's also not directly compatible. In NL1 people had to be creative with things, like underground tunnels, whereas now everything and anything is accomplish-able by scripting. Don't get me wrong, NL2 is better than NL1 100-fold and is absolutely spectacular, but every once in a while I go on youtube and relive some of the greats for nostalgia sake (even though NL1 was popular a year ago). Ahh...memories. Anyone else miss NL1? :)
It's been a long time
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCErEzTkqrD55UEiIiiKsKmg

Post October 29th, 2014, 9:10 pm

Points on hand: 15,383.90 Points
I think it's normal to experience a nostalgia filter about anything, whether it be cartoons, music, or video games.

I do slightly miss the aspect of feeling badass just for having an above average talent for Bezier smoothing and from that, feeling like I earned my happy ending. I say "slightly" because I had always wanted the tools to be able to handbuild a specific layout I want without too many pumps, and now I do. I haven't really looked back since.
I personally don't obsess over copying a particular manufacturer style. It might sometimes be somewhere on my to-do list but it isn't top priority.

Post October 29th, 2014, 10:31 pm

Points on hand: 4,765.00 Points

I more miss the days where you could go in the CS Queue and there would be 15 other enthusiastic people. People were constantly making new projects to show off on their NLDC, some great recreations on the horizon like Cyclops and Superman Ride Of Steel, and people were constantly improving technique whether it were using circle 3d for hand building, HSAK/AHG, etc and everyone worshiped Thunderhead Falls for years on end.

I feel like now stuff is almost too good. That AIR recreation is about as good as it's going to get, and while there was enthusiasm while it was being built, it died down rather quickly. There is amazing stuff being made out there but I feel like the enthusiasm for it is lacking.

I really miss talking to some of the old school CS guys. Me and Nightmare500 sitting in the queue for days on end, bickering with DCs over dumb stuff, getting to talk to Jeremy Thompson who I greatly looked up to as a builder the once in a blue moon he'd come in the chat. I still keep in touch with a lot of them but it's not the same and a lot of the time it's not even about coasters but rather real life. Yeah we've grown up and all that but I feel like the enthusiasm for NL just died out, which is a shame because the program itself has never been as powerful as it is now. I can only imagine how crazy it would have been if we had what we have now back in like 2007 (back then NL2 was just a myth).

So yeah.....I don't so much miss the rides that were made, but the level of enthusiasm and community I'd definitely love to see return. I know they were a rival site of here but coastersims was kind of my home site when it was around and I greatly miss it. There's NLE, but it's nowhere near the same. Bring back 2006-2009.

Post October 29th, 2014, 11:15 pm

Points on hand: 680.00 Points
Bank: 1,513.00 Points
All those projects will come with time, don't you worry :)
It takes awhile for people to become bored of recreating and start creating.
NL2 is still in its life of "now I can do this" which most of the time is trying to get it to look like the manufactures. Honestly most of my coasters are just, saw a coaster in real life I wanted to take inspiration.

Post October 30th, 2014, 2:22 am

Points on hand: 204.00 Points
Bank: 3,034.00 Points
I think the problem is that too many people without imagination or vision criticize those with originality. That's not a problem with either program though and was getting worse with NL1 as well towards the end. The difference to me is that NL2 is a bit more accessible so those that didn't have their own style flood out the unique builders more

Post October 30th, 2014, 9:35 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
Despite me being young, I do remember those fantasy tracks in my first year or two in NL.

Post October 31st, 2014, 3:57 am

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
Time flies... because No Limits 1 is now an old-fashioned simulation! :shock:
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Post October 31st, 2014, 4:46 am

^it's crazy to think about, but It's true.

My PC with NL2 is dead (I think for good) and my laptop doesn't have nearly enough power to run NL2 (or a good enough graphics card) so I'm stuck with NL1 for now. It really isn't that bad, and you have to be especially crafty to get some of the stuff you can do in NL2.
It's been a long time

Post October 31st, 2014, 6:18 am

Points on hand: 3,978.00 Points
I am almost always in favor of new technology, but I do miss the days when gas was less than $1/gallon. (Yeah, I'm old)

Post November 1st, 2014, 12:00 pm

Points on hand: 3,436.00 Points
Bank: 1,275.00 Points
I think that because overall the sim has gone for more realism graphically and incredible detail and realistic scales ect. People feel the need to follow up with a realistic coaster. The community seems to have changed too, once something that would have been praised for its style and unique elements, would now be told ''B&M don't do top hats'' or some other comparison to real life.

In general everything seems to lean towards realism, which is very cool, but I do miss the lets make a 12km jungle themed intamin with 23 inversions days. Or even just in general, lets not have to feel the need to conform to manufacturer styles and ''limitations''

Post November 1st, 2014, 12:01 pm

Points on hand: 483.00 Points
Bank: 19,590.00 Points

Post November 1st, 2014, 12:26 pm

Bouncypip11 wrote:
... but I do miss the lets make a 12km jungle themed intamin with 23 inversions days. Or even just in general, lets not have to feel the need to conform to manufacturer styles and ''limitations''

I agree 110%

Also it's nice to see some people still make crazy stuff in NL2 cool5!
It's been a long time

Post November 1st, 2014, 1:34 pm

Points on hand: 15,383.90 Points
Bouncypip11 wrote:
lets make a 12km jungle themed intamin with 23 inversions days. Or even just in general, lets not have to feel the need to conform to manufacturer styles and ''limitations''

I might think about trying that if not for the 12km stipulation, but I probably want to finish some of my current things first so I don't get overloaded.
No one's making you conform to a manufacturer style, that's one reason why the fantasy category exists.

Post November 1st, 2014, 7:49 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Maybe we should start a topic/group specifically for making extreme fantasy coasters again?

Post November 1st, 2014, 7:49 pm
Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
I don't miss it.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Post November 1st, 2014, 7:50 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Post November 1st, 2014, 10:17 pm

Points on hand: 103.00 Points
Bank: 4,290.00 Points
I miss the days where I had more time to be more active on this site. :(

Post November 1st, 2014, 10:26 pm

Points on hand: 5,149.54 Points

I'm in the days where I should be able to fully be on the site, I try to get on at least once a day but I'm always really busy :|

Post November 8th, 2014, 7:17 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

^ I hear ya, In case you haven't noticed, and I'm sure you have, I haven't posted as much throughout the day, I typically fly through 300+ posts at once every few days. It's not what I want to do, but life has taken over :/

Return to No Limits Coaster