Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Apple fails on a whole new level

Apple fails on a whole new level

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post January 27th, 2010, 9:56 pm
Kev True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 3,347.00 Points

Post January 27th, 2010, 10:01 pm

Points on hand: 1,601.00 Points
^If the electricity failed worldwide, I'm pretty sure we're all screwed, not just the people with fancy cell phones.

Post January 27th, 2010, 10:11 pm

Points on hand: 5,394.00 Points
Bank: 1,660.00 Points
Leave it to Apple to make something that became nearly obsolete. Tablet PCs were pretty much a problem for many people. I mean, drop the thing once and you are screwed over. Now, people will be bragging about how cool his/her own "mega iPod Touch" is. I bought a netbook for simple things. I can use MS Office on it; I can easily use the web; I use Rosetta Stone on it, which runs smoothly; I get a very good battery life on it, and it's very easy to stow and carry around; It has 3 USB ports which is VERY useful for just about ANYTHING; but most importantly, it has a keyboard...

The iPad will be the most successful flop ever made.
Oh, were you expecting something here?

Post January 27th, 2010, 10:46 pm

Points on hand: 1,277.00 Points
The future of apple, with a little political twist on it [lol]

Post January 28th, 2010, 2:07 am

Points on hand: 77.00 Points
I think the real point of the iPad is to make a dent in the NetBook market. I'm not looking to buy a NetBook, I have a laptop so I don't need something that pretty much only does the internet. There are people who are looking to buy a NetBook though. If your family only has one or two desktop computers, and there are three or four family members, everyone can't get on the internet at once. I think we can all accept the fact that people use the internet for entertainment, and while we can all huddle around and enjoy the same TV, we can't all huddle around and enjoy the same internet. I'm pretty sure my parents are interested the iPad. I'm not going to buy it, but if you're thinking about getting an iPod touch and then this thing comes out you might consider it . Especially, if you're buying the iPod Touch primarily for it's internet capabilities. I'd rather spend my time knocking NetBooks in general than blasting Apple and the iPad.

Post January 28th, 2010, 2:25 am

Points on hand: 1,105.00 Points
Damn... I just wish No Limits could be worked with a touch screen...

too bad its just a blown-up i-touch. I was really wishing it was a computer...

Post January 28th, 2010, 6:07 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
Can we get something clear? Apple fanboys are just as annoying (if not less...) than those that seek only to roast Apple products.

Don't like it, don't buy it, don't bitch.

Post January 28th, 2010, 9:07 pm

Points on hand: 2,736.00 Points
I'm not really an Apple Guy (in fact, I honestly hate them), but the iPad looks really nice, actually. I checked out the videos and demos and it looks like a phenomenal innovative product. I would want to get it, but I'll wait as time progresses and the economy develops. We'll see what's new by then. The only thing I really would want to see in the future:

-USB
-Microsoft Word (or similar), or a typing program of some sort that isn't notepad

-Ability for Wireless Printing

-And if possible, NL!

It may seem odd but those added features will make it more complete IMHO

Post January 28th, 2010, 9:23 pm

Points on hand: 1,771.00 Points

Originally posted by Jms10391

The future of apple, with a little political twist on it [lol]

That video cracked me up!

But on topic... I agree that the iPad seems a bit useless. However, I'm pretty sure that it well sell much much MUCH better than the Kindle, simply because it is an Apple product. I'm not going to buy it, but I strongly disagree with those people who say that it won't sell.

Post January 28th, 2010, 10:18 pm

Points on hand: 2,400.00 Points

Originally posted by A113

I'm not really an Apple Guy (in fact, I honestly hate them), but the iPad looks really nice, actually. I checked out the videos and demos and it looks like a phenomenal innovative product. I would want to get it, but I'll wait as time progresses and the economy develops. We'll see what's new by then. The only thing I really would want to see in the future:

-USB
-Microsoft Word (or similar), or a typing program of some sort that isn't notepad

-Ability for Wireless Printing

-And if possible, NL!

It may seem odd but those added features will make it more complete IMHO

The iPad could run NL if Oley made a version for it :)

It also does have Apple's full IWork office suite for it, which includes Pages [Full word processor- way better than Microsoft Word!], Numbers [Not as good as Excel] and Keynote [SO much better than Powerpoint it's not even funny.]

This isn't a stupid product, lmfao. This is a fantastic product. You bitch that it only does so much more than the iPod touch, yeah sure, it's also the first rev of the software. Software applications are NOT limited and they will be expanded, especially when developers start creating iPad specific software.

Also, the reason the tablet failed in it's original incarnation was because WINDOWS ISN'T DESIGNED FOR TOUCH USE, AND NEITHER ARE THE APPLICATIONS FOR IT!

Try to use a Windows tablet with the software designed for a keyboard and mouse interface. You almost can't It's next to impossible to precisely use it.

This isn't a stupid product, it's just a product that isn't made for absolutely everybody. It's creating a new market.

All of the people that are really involved in tech who were at the event love it, Leo Laporte, Andy Inhatko, Tom Merrit, Ge Wang, John Gruber, Justine Ezerik and Patrick Norton are all buying one, Ge Wang [the creator of the Stanford Computer Orchestra and the Stanford Mobile Phone Orchestra] is, according to him, buying TWENTY to create another new orchestra.

It will sell well, this website is so biased it's ridiculous, call me an Apple fanboy if you want, I'm not, I can admit Apple's failures [The App store approval process, the Apple TV, how the iPhone handles notifications, iTunes for Windows, the lack of updates for the iPod classic, the fact that iPhone OS can't yet multitask...] but this isn't one.

I'm with Gerstlcrazy, people who are blind to Apple's failures are annoying, but the people who's sole existence in life seems to be to bash Apple's products are just as annoying.

Post January 28th, 2010, 10:37 pm

If it had word, then the USB drive, and the ability of wireless printing is pretty much going to complete the necessary features. Oh, a camera too.

Still though, that would essentially be the only Apple product I would acquire other than the iPod. I still struggle and am agitated with how Macbooks work, and over complicating PC's simple system and claiming it to be "user-friendly." For instance I despise that "control" key that was installed, and I still can't find a way to select more than one files simultaneously with the different keyboard. On my windows you just hold down CTRL and select, or CTRL Shift select. That's just my opinion though, if things look up, I may probably want to get the 2nd or 3rd gen of the iPad if it meets expectations.

Post January 28th, 2010, 11:59 pm

Points on hand: 1,977.00 Points

The iPad looks great. I wish it had at least an SD card slot and 2 USB drives. I'd be good to go then. 3G is great and WiFi...it'll sell very well!

Post January 29th, 2010, 12:38 am

Post January 29th, 2010, 1:30 am

Yeah the command key is pointless and I think it's stupid.

Post January 29th, 2010, 1:48 am

but it works.
And tbh, I've found several times when it's useful to have both a command and a ctrl key.

Post January 29th, 2010, 2:03 am

Like I said, it may be user friendly. But apple usually just over-complicates things.

Post January 29th, 2010, 3:19 am

If it had word, then the USB drive, and the ability of wireless printing is pretty much going to complete the necessary features. Oh, a camera too.

Still though, that would essentially be the only Apple product I would acquire other than the iPod. I still struggle and am agitated with how Macbooks work, and over complicating PC's simple system and claiming it to be "user-friendly." For instance I despise that "control" key that was installed, and I still can't find a way to select more than one files simultaneously with the different keyboard. On my windows you just hold down CTRL and select, or CTRL Shift select. That's just my opinion though, if things look up, I may probably want to get the 2nd or 3rd gen of the iPad if it meets expectations.

What.. what are you talking about?

On a Mac you can press shift and select multiple items just like in Windows, and for all intensive purposes the control key in Windows replaced the command key.

The Apple keyboard existed before what you know as the 'Windows Keyboard' because Apple was the first company to release a mainstream computer with a graphic user interface.

How did Apple over complicate things? You realize that the Windows Key was Microsoft's response to the Command key which used to be known as the Apple key? And the Alt key is the response to the Option key?

They have exactly the same number of modifier keys, not to mention Apple can't over complicate something that they did first...

The Mac OS GUI isn't over complicated, it's just different. Don't try to use a Mac and get all bitchy over the fact that it's not Windows, it's not supposed to be Windows, and Windows is essentially a spinoff of the Mac OS by nature. No, I'm not saying Microsoft copies Apple and they rip Apple off, I'm saying that's what Microsoft ORIGINALLY DID.

Watch the film Pirates of Silicon Valley. It will give you some insight on how Apple and Microsoft became the companies they are today.

Either way, can you give me an example of how exactly the Mac OS is overcomplicated? To delete something, you drag it into the friggen trash, there's no stupid install procedure. The dock is a launcher where your applications sit, and where your windows go when you minimize them...

I mean even today Mac OS X and WIndows are pretty similar, I didn't have any trouble whatsoever when I switched and I don't have any trouble going back and forth between the PCs at work and my Macs at home.

Post January 29th, 2010, 11:06 am

It took me ages to try and find a location to input a WEP key on my mom's macbook, it was really easy to do it on my computer.

Post January 29th, 2010, 11:09 am

It took me ages to try and find a location to input a WEP key on my mom's macbook, it was really easy to do it on my computer.

Click the WIFi icon in the menu bar, drop down menu with a list of networks, click the one you want to join, it brings up the password field, enter the key, click okay.

How in any way is that hard? Like I said, it's not over complicated, it's different from how WIndows does it. You're trying to use a Mac like you use Windows, but they're not the same and they're not supposed to be!

Post January 29th, 2010, 11:12 am

Maybe I guess I'm too used to using PCs. Ah whatever, there's just something I don't like about them.

Post January 29th, 2010, 1:39 pm

Points on hand: 1,151.00 Points

As usual, the price they are asking for its capabilities borders on criminal.

Post January 29th, 2010, 2:16 pm

Points on hand: 290.00 Points

Well i think its total waste of time:
- no multitasking (biggest mistake they could make, what if i want to listen to music whilst writing a document?)
- No camera (not even one on the back!)
- No HDMI so unless you have AppleTV you can't watch your bought iTunes dvds on your tv.
- No flash player (huge holes in websites)
- Adapters for absolutely everything e.g. your digital camera, you even need an adapter for a USB!
- Its not widescreen - makes your movies look rubbish.
- Only runs App Store apps.

As far as I can tell, it doesn't do much and what it does do it doesn't do well.

Post January 29th, 2010, 2:35 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
But apple made it so therefore it's godly.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post January 29th, 2010, 5:10 pm

Points on hand: 962.00 Points
the ipad is not a computer! it's a mobile device to consume media, not to necessarily create it. at $500 it is a lot more reasonable to me than the $1000 rumor that was going around, but not low enough to have me spring for it just yet. i see this coming down in price to $250 or $300 down the road like the iphone/touch did. maybe i'll buy one then.

Post January 29th, 2010, 8:21 pm

Points on hand: 5,394.00 Points
Bank: 1,660.00 Points
Originally posted by Coasterkidmwm

But apple made it so therefore it's godly.

Hence why I came up with the phrase "Best Selling Flop Ever Made."
Oh, were you expecting something here?

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion